IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

26 minutes ago, mr_me said:

You are infringing his rights; should have posted a link.

I don't agree since his posts were literally set to public and frankly if you don't want something shared or viewed online you just don't put it there ? in various threads peoples posts, comments etc, from outside Atariage, on Facebook and other sites have been posted /pasted here with apparently no issue so it seems it's ok depending on the person it's about? Or is that only tolerated when the person has been judged as a troll or other type of bad person? Anyways, I cannot edit my post as the editing window has expired,  OK, I have sent a request to edit out the images but in the meantime if any other mod or admin can assist I would appreciate it if only to appease those who have some issue with it. 

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Atarick said:

Completely, also he says: "I've never had a PC before."

Um. Wut? How can anyone born after say 1950 have never owned a PC? Ludicrous. Surely he's USED one. I mean that statement alone should lead one to presume his account was either hacked or he is doing some kind of prank.

Although I work in computing, I do know people who have nothing to do with them at work, or at home!
All they have is a smart phone, and before that, they did not have anything online.
In fact, for some years, PC sales have been dropping because people don't even need one any more...

I've used a computer every day of my life, I think, since I was a teenager, but that's NOT universal.
There are millions of people who've never seen a PC or used one. I don't disrespect anybody for that!

The important thing is, he's bought a VCS for games, and as a gateway PC to lots of new things.
He needs patient assistance, and some support. People that can't give that, can just ignore him.

I just want to add, it's the comments insulting the guy by other people which I do condemn. It's
NOT the posting of the images (which I consider very ill-though-through, as an image is a snapshot
in time, where a link can go away, or evolve). It's people RIDICULING somebody, I really object to,
especially as that person is not here. I think such a school-yard bully behaviour is reprehensible.

• Like 3

As surprising as it may be to me that someone has never owned some form of PC I cannot say it's impossible. After all, my wife and I have no smart phones, not androidno iPhone etc, nothing and never have, we have all kinds of PC's laptops, tablets and gadgets and I been into tech all my life (hell my wife is an I.T. systems analyst for BC Health Authority) but we have only a single landline which rings rarely just the way we like it. Never required one and never liked the idea of being so tethered at all times to communications, OH SURE some say well just turn it off if you don't want to be disturbed but that completely defeats the purpose of having one and only leads to temptation of always being "available" when we go out to an event or show or vacation getaway we want to really not be disturbed or have the temptation of allowing ourselves to be and instead enjoy the moment. Now I know this concept seems completely alien to many, especially those of a certain generation and honestly, it does have it's drawbacks and when so many products and services literally treat you like you don't exist if you do not have a smart phone, we have had that stare of disbelief from many on several occasions when explaining we do not have them ??

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

I don't agree since his posts were literally set to public and frankly if you don't want something shared or viewed online you just don't put it there ? in various threads peoples posts, comments etc, from outside Atariage, on Facebook and other sites have been posted /pasted here with apparently no issue so it seems it's ok depending on the person it's about? Or is that only tolerated when the person has been judged as a troll or other type of bad person? Anyways, I cannot edit my post as the editing window has expired,  OK, I have sent a request to edit out the images but in the meantime if any other mod or admin can assist I would appreciate it if only to appease those who have some issue with it. 

You can be legally within your right and be a jerk at the same time. Not incompatible. 

Taking screenshots of anyone's profile for people on a forum to comment on their level of education is, imo, of very poor taste in general. 

In this particular case, this is beyond disgraceful. 

I'm sure you can differentiate between a troll and that guy. And anyways, other people having posted disgraceful jibes at individuals on previous pages hardly makes it ok.

Edited by Zor
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I guess my fascination with this stems more from the fact that someone active in THIS community, who is active in the gaming conversation and who has an opinion on various systems, etc., would not have a PC. That is a new one for me. Richard, as you say, I totally get that people rely on smartphones now- who would NEED a PC, as a rule, anymore, at home? Not essential. But I kind of find it shocking that a person who is an active gamer of his age would not have owned one. No judgment, just surprising. 

And I am happy to help the guy. 

Edited by Atarick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Atarick said:

I guess my fascination with this stems more from the fact that someone active in THIS community, who is active in the gaming conversation and who has an opinion on various systems, etc., would not have a PC.

We don't know for certain that this is the case; if anything, it was speculation on my behalf that he likely doesn't own a PC.  Having said that, it's very likely given a number of factors.

What I can say with reasonable certainty, however, is that he is not active in this (meaning AA) community.  To the best of my knowledge, all of his activity has been on external VCS-centric sites, and other than nostalgia for systems of the past he doesn't seem to have indicated much of an interest in a lot of thee things that attract people to this place.

2 minutes ago, Atarick said:

That is a new one for me. Richard, as you say, I totally get that people rely on smartphones now- who would NEED a PC, as a rule, anymore, at home? Not essential. But I kind of find it shocking that a person who is an active gamer of his age would not own one. No judgment, just surprising. 

PCs in the home never really took off in Ireland the same way as they did in the US.  Sure, people had them, but they weren't really something that started to become common until about the late '90s.  By that stage, the console boom (which took off with the PS1) had already been in full swing for a couple of years, and for a lot of people that was all that they needed (or wanted, or could afford).  That left a good 10 to 12 years for consoles to carve out a market niche within non-PC-buyers before they started buying smartphones.  Basically, they moved from one appliance to another while skipping the general-purpose computer.

That was my observation in Ireland at the time, but other countries in the EU had slightly different patterns.  Someone who lived in them would need to speak to their specifics, though.

50 minutes ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Just because something is freely available doesn't mean it's not protected.    It also depends on the content and how it's being used.  Someone might also assume that if it's being used positively permission might be given anyway.

32 minutes ago, Zor said:

You can be legally within your right and be a jerk at the same time. Not incompatible. 

Taking screenshots of anyone's profile for people on a forum to comment on their level of education is, imo, or very poor taste in general.

I'll assume that the education comment is in reference to the ones that I made.  Note that I did not take the screenshots, but I did comment on them.

Like it or not, some schools are better than others, and the Irish National School system is dogshit. I say that as someone who grew up in Ireland, thankfully being able to dodge that particular educational bullet but having watched others go through it.  For anyone who did and got out alive, they have every bit of empathy and respect from me for not being completely destroyed by it, though it has produced (and discarded) more than its fair share of people who were.

That isn't a judgement against this or any other person: it's a fact.  They do not provide a good education, and never have.  They're also responsible for a great many social problems that are still being dealt with to this day.  This is background that is important for anyone reading this thread to understand, because it's not going to be apparent to anyone who does not have an understanding of those cultural nuances - and, unless you grew up or lived in Ireland at the time he was having to go through the educational system, you won't have that understanding.

In this particular case, this is beyond disgraceful. 

I'm sure you can differentiate between a troll and that guy.

Nobody who has been here for more than the past 15 minutes has ever considered him a troll.  Overly-enthusiastic, definitely, but not a troll.

And anyways, other people having posted disgraceful jibes at individuals on previous pages hardly makes it ok.

Not sure where you're getting this from, but so far you're the only person who seems to believe that this is the case.

Frankly, the smart thing for everyone to do would be to quietly let this part of the thread die, but it appears as though the need to make just one more point isn't going to let that happen.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Oscar Manuel Rojas Maillo said:

In wikipedia entry for the VCS, every bit of information is linked to official sources, yet...

image.thumb.png.047402d0e5932a6712da3740a1675d0f.png

Oh boy... These negaducknists

The only misinformation and slant I ever remember hearing came from the project itself.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

OK, I have sent a request to edit out the images but in the meantime if any other mod or admin can assist I would appreciate it if only to appease those who have some issue with it.

Didn't see this post, I removed the images earlier.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TACODON said:

I might need to watch some Biff Vids now. I learned of them when I joined here and despite repeated warnings to not view them I had to see what that train wreck looked like. Now years past that I have a quaint fondness for them. 

It's the car crash you just can't look away from. You will be amused for sure but as you have already been warned, prepare for feeling the need to a shower after each viewing. When you reach the point that you are looking at the bleach for proper cleansing, that is when you need to stop watching for a while.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2