IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

Here is the deal, most people out there have only experienced the 2600 games. There is a whole other world of 8 bit stuff that is great. I understand that the XEGS and 5200 and home computers have similar stuff as each other, (even tho the computers have 100x more games than the XEGS and 5200 small ass library) but it is a lot different than the 2600 library.

Understand that Im not talking about a business model selling licensed games, Im talking about give us the ability to add our own roms with those emulators built in. Because, Im the gamer on the gaming side, Im not AtGames trying to sell Adventure II for the 27th time.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Livo Cat said:

Please don’t take offense to this…I mean with your ties & compensation & all…ATARI fans actually do want better than just Flashbacks. 

Sorry if that troubles your or anyone’s soul. 

Weird how Atari fans go in such opposite directions. I’m a huge Atari fan. Got the VCS in 1981. Also had a 7800 and a Lynx. 

I’m offended by how the current Atari is pissing on my nostalgia by hawking underpowered PCs with the same old games I got for $1.99 for my phone. I’m offended with their sketchy ethics damaging the brand. I’m offended they are jumping on the blockchain bandwagon and pimping out the name that was so important to my childhood so they can separate a few greedy idiots from their money. 

But hey, you got a weak PC in a pretty case with an Atari logo on it. 

If I put an Atari logo on my Corolla would you buy it?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 6502wrangler said:

If atari sold it they would, yes. But you cant just stick some autozone sticker on your grocery getter.

Edited by Draxxon

1 minute ago, 6502wrangler said:

Weird how Atari fans go in such opposite directions. I’m a huge Atari fan. Got the VCS in 1981. Also had a 7800 and a Lynx. 

I’m offended by how the current Atari is pissing on my nostalgia by hawking underpowered PCs with the same old games I got for $1.99 for my phone. I’m offended with their sketchy ethics damaging the brand. I’m offended they are jumping on the blockchain bandwagon and pimping out the name that was so important to my childhood so they can separate a few greedy idiots from their money. 

But hey, you got a weak PC in a pretty case with an Atari logo on it. 

I “might” buy one of the ATARI badged NASCAR trucks if they were for sale…definitely NOT the Corolla…sorry. 

10 minutes ago, 6502wrangler said:

Oh man, they didnt make the new atari the way you wanted it to be? Dang, that's rough, you got it bad bud."

Here is a little newsflash. Blockchain isnt going anywhere. That shit is going to be in all the new games before you know it.

Edited by Draxxon

5 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

Here is the deal, most people out there have only experienced the 2600 games. There is a whole other world of 8 bit stuff that is great. I understand that the XEGS and 5200 and home computers have similar stuff as each other, (even tho the computers have 100x more games than the XEGS and 5200 small ass library) but it is a lot different than the 2600 library.

I feel that the ST games library is often overlooked too.   It's pretty large with lots of well-known titles in its time.

7 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

Understand that Im not talking about a business model selling licensed games, Im talking about give us the ability to add our own roms with those emulators built in. Because, Im the gamer on the gaming side, Im not AtGames trying to sell Adventure II for the 27th time.

This is exactly what I did with mine.  Copied my emulator setup from PC to the VCS so we can enjoy the games in the living room,  have a joystick controlled menu for selecting games.    Also for the first time I dumped all my Wii games to the VCS-   We packed up the Wii when we got a Switch.   But now we can play the Wii games again on the VCS.   Most run really well.   That made my kids happy.

24 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

I re read it. I wasnt saying atari should sell the shit, I said I want to set it up myself.

You said the 8bit stuff is the same as stuff on other consoles, there are 1000s of home computer games, like, past finder, that arent on 2600. So I do disagree.

And that PC Primal Rage port isnt the best version. Saturn is.

Bill, what gives? I dont think you like me. lol.

No, that's not at all what I said or meant. I think it's pretty clear what I said. The Atari 8-bit stuff Atari holds is basically the same titles as the arcade, Atari 2600, and 5200 stuff that's already been released. They don't hold enough themselves. They'd need to license quite a bit.

23 minutes ago, El Livo Cat said:

Please don’t take offense to this…I mean with your ties & compensation & all…ATARI fans actually do want better than just Flashbacks. 

Sorry if that troubles your or anyone’s soul. 

If I understood what you were trying to say, I might possibly take offense.

• Haha 1

bill, im not talking about selling licensed games.

I know they dont have them. Im saying add the emulator, you know, like how the LEGENDS FLASHBACK can play NES games from the SD CARD????

no, its not clear what you are saying, because you are talking about "other shit".

Still waiting to hear if you think PR1 PC is still the superior port, or did I enlighten you?

Edited by Draxxon

7 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

If I understood what you were trying to say, I might possibly take offense.

Okay…I thought already had a caveat & a pre-sorry.

Post-sorry.

Everything ? now?

Edit…I own 2 of them + a(the…?) portable one as well. Now I’m thinking a thank you is in order ???

Edited by El Livo Cat
Addition

Bill is a good guy, you can bust his balls, but he is very knowledgeable.

It seems to me like his mind is stuck in salesman mode. I dont see much "gamer" going on there.

Like, Im saying, lets illegally add all the roms to this sucker, and he is saying, but atari doesnt own them, we cant sell them.

Edited by Draxxon

1 minute ago, El Livo Cat said:

Okay…I thought already had a caveat & a pre-sorry.

Post-sorry.

Everything ? now?

I still don't know what you mean. AtGames has made Atari Flashback Portables and Consoles, as well as published the software collections on Switch, PS4, and Xbox One. We also produce a full-size arcade machine loaded with Atari arcade and console games with authentic arcade-style controls. Arcade1Up produces Atari-themed cabinets and has plug and play and other devices of their own (as do several other companies). Atari stuff is available on Evercade. Atari stuff is available on PC and mobile. Etc. There's no shortage of ways and places to play legally licensed classic Atari games. However, there's a reason why most of the same games have been released again and again and again in different ways. There's a limited pool of available titles to license. Just about everything first party has already been released in one form or another.

14 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

Oh man, they didnt make the new atari the way you wanted it to be? Dang, that's rough, you got it bad bud."

Here is a little newsflash. Blockchain isnt going anywhere. That shit is going to be in all the new games before you know it.

Well, I’m glad the new atari has people like you to extract money from. 

And it is telling you call it “new Atari”. Even you aren’t under any illusions there is any connection whatsoever between the organizations with the exception of some moldy IP that has bounced around for years. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 6502wrangler said:

Well, I’m glad the new atari has people like you to extract money from. 

And it is telling you call it “new Atari”. Even you aren’t under any illusions there is any connection whatsoever between the organizations with the exception of some moldy IP that has bounced around for years. 

when the fuck did i call it "new atari"? I said quote-unquote "real" atari, making fun of the people who think its not real. Of course its real, of course its the newest atari. you guys crack me up, im outta here, lol.

You guys are strange.

Edited by Draxxon

3 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I still don't know what you mean. AtGames has made Atari Flashback Portables and Consoles, as well as published the software collections on Switch, PS4, and Xbox One. We also produce a full-size arcade machine loaded with Atari arcade and console games with authentic arcade-style controls. Arcade1Up produces Atari-themed cabinets and has plug and play and other devices of their own (as do several other companies). Atari stuff is available on Evercade. Atari stuff is available on PC and mobile. Etc. There's no shortage of ways and places to play legally licensed classic Atari games. However, there's a reason why most of the same games have been released again and again and again in different ways. There's a limited pool of available titles to license. Just about everything first party has already been released in one form or another.

Yeah…and some people want them on an ATARI console/HTPC + new ATARI gaming content as well. Ummmm…exclusive “Recharged” Series content on ATARI’s VCS-800 in case you haven’t been following. 

1 minute ago, El Livo Cat said:

Yeah…and some people want them on an ATARI console/HTPC + new ATARI gaming content as well. Ummmm…exclusive “Recharged” Series content on ATARI’s VCS-800 in case you haven’t been following. 

exclusive??? Its on STEAM!!! LOL.

okay, now im gone. lol.

1 minute ago, Draxxon said:

when the fuck did i call it "new atari"? I said quote-unquote "real" atari, making fun of the people who think its not real. Of course its real, of course its the newest atari. you guys crack me up, im outta here, lol.

It's a bizarre thing I've noticed too around here, "real Atari", are they talking the original Atari Inc? Atari Corporation? Atari Games that was part of Warner, than Midway, and now Warner again?

All the original people from Infogrames and most of Infogrames IP are gone, what's left of Atari SA is mostly Atari properties, and the new people trying to reinvigorate them via the recharged games. Seems like a real Atari to me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

You guys are weirdos.

The 7th and 8th word of the comment that you made that I quoted in my own comment. (post 4148)

Im ready to accept your apology. No need to swear. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Draxxon said:

exclusive??? Its on STEAM!!! LOL.

okay, now im gone. lol.

The VCS versions of the recharged games do have exclusive challenge content.

What's fascinating to me about Atari SA is how the Atari brand completely cannibalized Infogrames.

1 minute ago, 6502wrangler said:

The 7th and 8th word of the comment that you made that I quoted in my own comment. (post 4148)

Im ready to accept your apology. No need to swear. 

What would classify Atari as the "real" one? Any Atari after Warner sold part of it to Tramiel is fake?

1 minute ago, Nall3k said:

It's a bizarre thing I've noticed too around here, "real Atari", are they talking the original Atari Inc? Atari Corporation? Atari Games that was part of Warner, than Midway, and now Warner again?

Yeah the "real Atari" line of reasoning doesn't hold up to much scrutiny.    But the new VCS has something that I don't think the Lynx, Jaguar or ST ever did,  informal endorsements by Nolan himself   ?

1-gwtk7v6jEdQW6yj5j5Z7Gw.thumb.png.99bf7a864a92228b93b5bab38e87de3b.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, zzip said:

Yeah the "real Atari" line of reasoning doesn't hold up to much scrutiny.    But the new VCS has something that I don't think the Lynx, Jaguar or ST ever did,  informal endorsements by Nolan himself   ?

1-gwtk7v6jEdQW6yj5j5Z7Gw.thumb.png.99bf7a864a92228b93b5bab38e87de3b.png

You know what's ironic too? Atari SA since Infogrames started using the brand publicly in 2003 has lasted longer than the "original", Atari Games, and Atari Corporation.

Just now, Nall3k said:

What would classify Atari as the "real" one? Any Atari after Warner sold part of it to Tramiel is fake?

Before the Jaguar-fueled collapse there was always some continuity from one owner to the next. Tramiel shook things up a lot, but there were some people and, obviously, a lot of products in common. After the JTS merger it was hard to say there was anything Atari left, as new software was all done by vendors. After JTS went bankrupt in early 1999 I think a lot of people would consider that dead dead. 

Since then Atari has been a corpse. Sometimes people wear its skin to given them a little boost in name recognition but each time they do the brand is weakened a little bit. 

• Like 2