Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mockduck

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, godslabrat said:

Taking pre-orders while being nowhere near ready for production is crowdfunding as far as I'm concerned. 

How far were they from production when pandemic shutdowns hit?  They had prototypes and games that people were playing six months before they started pre-orders.  That was all funded with venture capital.

 

 

4 hours ago, Mockduck said:

Totally getting an Amico too, although my bet has been on the VCS being better than the Amico for a while now despite what public opinion wants me to believe. :) Still will be fun, though, and I hope it is a big success for Tommy and team. As long as I get a fun updated Shark! Shark! I'll be fine, and if the rumor is true that the old AD&D games might get an update and an IP strip so they can get made I am also down for that. 

 

Do I need an Amico? Of course not, just like I haven't needed any of the six Atari 2600's I've purchased, NES, SNES, PSP, Vita, Genesis, Playstation 1/2/3/4/5, DS, 3DS, Flashback portable, Nintendo Game and Watch, TI 99/4a, Odyssey 2, pong units, etc. Won't stop me from buying it. 

It's not a rumor, Cloudy Mountain is what the reimagined AD&D on Amico is called.  It should be available at launch, no license required.

 

--------

And one thing that differentiates the Amico from the new Atari VCS is all the exclusive games they are producing for it.

Edited by mr_me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, mr_me said:

How far were they from production when pandemic shutdowns hit?  They had prototypes and games that people were playing six months before they started pre-orders.  That was all funded with venture capital.

Not really the thread to discuss that. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, mr_me said:

How far were they from production when pandemic shutdowns hit?  They had prototypes and games that people were playing six months before they started pre-orders.  That was all funded with venture capital.

 

 

It's not a rumor, Cloudy Mountain is what the reimagined AD&D on Amico is called.  It should be available at launch, no license required.

You just made my day. Awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Well, subjective of course, but so far the Amico looks to really focus on medium-graphics-quality simple games and mobile-looking games stripped of their eCommerce nonsense, and their vision of a family console where two to four people gather to play games on two touchscreen controllers and/or two phones seems questionable to me. But hey I will support them regardless cuz I want to. It also seems like the Amico will become dated super quickly, more so than the VCS, and while everyone loves to blast Atari and praise INTV for "doing it right", I still see a console that has no sign of coming out any time soon.

I fail to see how Atari does it "right" because they made their thing open, but INTV isn't doing it right because they're actually working to get some exclusive games on their closed platform. I keep seeing VCS guys proclaiming that it's is going to be "the future" of Atari gaming, yet the only ones to actually announce and show some new Atari games at this point is INTV with Missile Command, Centipede, Asteroids and Breakout.

 

As for the power and graphics, both systems are weak, but the games they're wanting to focus on don't need a ton of power. Do you really need something on the level of the PS5 to do Asteroids, Moon Patrol or Breakout?  The VCS also has mobile quality games - that's all Missile Command Recharged is, as that was initially released in that format.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

I fail to see how Atari does it "right" because they made their thing open, but INTV isn't doing it right because they're actually working to get some exclusive games on their closed platform. I keep seeing VCS guys proclaiming that it's is going to be "the future" of Atari gaming, yet the only ones to actually announce and show some new Atari games at this point is INTV with Missile Command, Centipede, Asteroids and Breakout.

 

As for the power and graphics, both systems are weak, but the games they're wanting to focus on don't need a ton of power. Do you really need something on the level of the PS5 to do Asteroids, Moon Patrol or Breakout?  The VCS also has mobile quality games - that's all Missile Command Recharged is, as that was initially released in that format.

Didn't say Atari did it right. Was saying people are saying INTV is. I'm super happy with the VCS and it is frankly waaaay better than I was expecting at this point, so while people are doing their thing on the forums I'm having a lot of fun with the actual console that came out. But if Atari foolishly asked me what they shoulda done different, I'd have some thoughts on it that they should just ignore since things are rocking on the VCS today. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Didn't say Atari did it right. Was saying people are saying INTV is. I'm super happy with the VCS and it is frankly waaaay better than I was expecting at this point, so while people are doing their thing on the forums I'm having a lot of fun with the actual console that came out. But if Atari foolishly asked me what they shoulda done different, I'd have some thoughts on it that they should just ignore since things are rocking on the VCS today. 

Interesting take. I don't say the following to diminish your enjoyment of the VCS but I noticed that you've criticized the 4K output and the WiFi on it and I've seen others complain about those two things as well; I keep seeing people say that they're happy to have the new CX-40, then mention some problems with it. I can't imagine that the huge snafu of the latest update wiping out save states on vanilla machines is a good thing...Guess I don't see how all these things jive into Atari nailing it (without being very forgiving to them on the various issues).  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Interesting take. I don't say the following to diminish your enjoyment of the VCS but I noticed that you've criticized the 4K output and the WiFi on it and I've seen others complain about those two things as well; I keep seeing people say that they're happy to have the new CX-40, then mention some problems with it. I can't imagine that the huge snafu of the latest update wiping out save states on vanilla machines is a good thing...Guess I don't see how all these things jive into Atari nailing it (without being very forgiving to them on the various issues).  

Ha, that wasn't a snafu.  They implemented multiple account save games.  Guess they couldn't figure out how to do that without removing them.  But it was done on purpose, as annoying as it is.  We that have the system just have to keep in mind it is an 'early access' deal.  If they do something similar after general release, then people have every right to scream.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, leech said:

If they do something similar after general release, then people have every right to scream.

It's cute that you think there will ever be another release of this potato

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Interesting take. I don't say the following to diminish your enjoyment of the VCS but I noticed that you've criticized the 4K output and the WiFi on it and I've seen others complain about those two things as well; I keep seeing people say that they're happy to have the new CX-40, then mention some problems with it. I can't imagine that the huge snafu of the latest update wiping out save states on vanilla machines is a good thing...Guess I don't see how all these things jive into Atari nailing it (without being very forgiving to them on the various issues).  

You're right that the 4k output is disappointing (if not that surprising given the VCS' specs) and the Wifi on my unit is bad. I should probably send it in, but I'm having too much fun with it and Ethernet works great. I haven't had any issues with the Classic Joystick at all; it's been the controller I've personally wanted for about 20 years. The saves thing kinda sucks, but doesn't really impact me that much. Still, Atari is releasing great fun inexpensive games that are creative and interesting, the console is running things fine, the platform is way more solid than I was expecting given the "help us get it ready for retail" statements, Antstream is killer on it, I can finally play the VCS paddle and driving games well outside of the OG system, Atari has been super communicative on the Discord and it has been a fun place to hang out, there are plenty of games coming it looks like, the system is absolutely beautiful, and all's good. Haven't even worried about digging into the PC Mode side yet as there has been too much else to do, which I also wasn't expecting at all. 

 

I thought it was likely that I'd have some fun with the VCS and a LOT of fun with my PS5. Instead, I'm having a blast with the VCS and am really disappointed in the PS5 so far. The PS5 is the system that feels like it hasn't really launched yet. Since November I've put in 19 hours on it in gaming, and most of that has been either Bugsnax or Atari Flashback Classics (PS4 version). Been a real bummer checking the Store there to see PS4 games that don't run or look better on the 5 and a handful of not great looking PS5 games that are waaaaay too expensive ($70 for a generic anime RPG base edition, anyone?). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the PS5 or XBX, I'm just not interested in them as I have a gaming PC that is just as powerful as they are. It's why I wouldn't play the VCS at all if I got one - everything I could play on it would play better and cost the same on my PC. I play the Switch as it does have some games that I can't get anywhere else that are a lot of fun - been sinking a bit of time into Age of Calamity lately. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In regards to wifi issues, while I don’t have any issues has anyone tried replacing the card or antennas?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, yrly said:

In regards to wifi issues, while I don’t have any issues has anyone tried replacing the card or antennas?

They did, but the problem was never hardware, with some possible exceptions.
It was software, because it worked perfectly in Windows 10 and on Linux (some with a config fix) but

happily, since the AtariOS update, it is now working perfectly in AtariOS. I've proved this all first-hand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, justclaws said:

They did, but the problem was never hardware, with some possible exceptions.
It was software, because it worked perfectly in Windows 10 and on Linux (some with a config fix) but

happily, since the AtariOS update, it is now working perfectly in AtariOS. I've proved this all first-hand. 

So did you get two updates?  I got one, and then a day later I got another one.

I should set up an account with one of the CC places and use that on the store so I can buy more games ha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, yrly said:

In regards to wifi issues, while I don’t have any issues has anyone tried replacing the card or antennas?

Replacing the card has been tricky as they don't include all the drivers your typical Linux distro supports.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, godslabrat said:

It's cute that you think there will ever be another release of this potato

F-this.

Time to amass an army and send Atari stock and Token to the moon!   🚀🚀🚀👩‍🚀👨‍🚀🌜🌠💲💲💰💰💸💸📈

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, OCAT said:

F-this.

Time to amass an army and send Atari stock and Token to the moon!   🚀🚀🚀👩‍🚀👨‍🚀🌜🌠💲💲💰💰💸💸📈

€0.50 HERE WE COME!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, godslabrat said:

It's cute that you think there will ever be another release of this potato

You do understand backer release vs general release, right?

Also, Debian Potato got subsequent releases.  😛

Edited by leech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, leech said:

You do understand backer release vs general release, right?

Also, Debian Potato got subsequent releases.  😛

I understand Atari wants to be rid of this dumpster fire as quickly as possible.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

I understand Atari wants to be rid of this dumpster fire as quickly as possible.

 

This.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, godslabrat said:

I understand Atari wants to be rid of this dumpster fire as quickly as possible.

Well I would argue Atari is the dumpster fire and the VCS is a crack baby that someone pulled out in time and is nursing back to health.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, godslabrat said:

I understand Atari wants to be rid of this dumpster fire as quickly as possible.

Actually, I bought one of those little 3D printed dumpster fires off Etsy, and it's pretty cool.

 

dumpster-fire.thumb.jpg.654224021ed85136c3ee734e0e7179b8.jpg

 

Lights up and everything.

 

Just like a logo.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

Actually, I bought one of those little 3D printed dumpster fires off Etsy, and it's pretty cool.

 

dumpster-fire.thumb.jpg.654224021ed85136c3ee734e0e7179b8.jpg

 

Lights up and everything.

 

Just like a logo.

I want to know who keeps putting so much flammable material in dumpsters.  SO many dumpster fires this year and last...

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

Actually, I bought one of those little 3D printed dumpster fires off Etsy, and it's pretty cool.

 

dumpster-fire.thumb.jpg.654224021ed85136c3ee734e0e7179b8.jpg

 

Lights up and everything.

 

Just like a logo.

LEDs, maaaaannnnn.... LEDs are everything !!!!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, leech said:

Well I would argue Atari is the dumpster fire and the VCS is a crack baby that someone pulled out in time and is nursing back to health.

That's awful, but since we're already there, I would argue that Atari is the crack baby that caught on fire and lit the dumpster.

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...