Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mockduck

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, youxia said:

I like to live dangerously. Come see me running Firefox 56.0 and my blocked Windows Updates.😊

Yeh? Well I still use XP as a daily driver on the "information superhighway". Without antivirus. Without antimalware. And an OLDER version of FireFox!

Edited by Keatah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The older an OS/Browser gets, the less likely haxerz will go after you. The old stuff is not as populous. Less targets..

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Keatah said:

The older an OS/Browser gets, the less likely haxerz will go after you. The old stuff is not as populous. Less targets..

 

Security by obscurity - keeping Linux users safe forever!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, youxia said:

People complain about stuff like that, then go and log into Chrome and everything else with their Google account. S'funny 😊

Let's face it. This site requires an e-mail address, a password and contains vast amounts of personal information that could be scraped without even hacking it.

 

I hope you're all using burner accounts with randomly generated passwords and are congenital liars like me. 😀

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, youxia said:

I like to live dangerously. Come see me running Firefox 56.0 and my blocked Windows Updates.

 

People complain about stuff like that, then go and log into Chrome and everything else with their Google account. S'funny 😊

I don't!   I actually work in 'the industry' and un updated things make me cringe.  Though also passwords saved in browsers make me cringe too.  If I didn't need a gmail account for Android I would have ditched it long ago.  I HATE that Nvidia wants you to have an account to use their geforce features, and that browsers even have logins now for syncing settings and god knows what else.

I also see a growing trend of legitimate websites / tools that want pop ups enabled... you know after we spent a decade trying to block all of them...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

Let's face it. This site requires an e-mail address, a password and contains vast amounts of personal information that could be scraped without even hacking it.

 

I hope you're all using burner accounts with randomly generated passwords and are congenital liars like me. 😀

Ha, I for sure do.  still don't get why people volunteer all their info to Facebook...

Anyone who grew up roaming around BBSs used aliases.  Once computers became more common, that knowledge and desire for anonymity seems to have disappeared.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, leech said:

I HATE that Nvidia wants you to have an account to use their geforce features.

I think it's for DLSS - which is supposedly "AI cloud" rendering. Something we don't really need. I saw the demo and it just seemed to shift some pixels around. There was no wow factor whatsoever. Nothing like going from a CL-GD5422 to a Riva-128. I had to watch the 20xx unveiling ceremony and listen to a half-hour speech before I even knew what to look for.

 

Is an account needed for any other features?

 

Edited by Keatah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keatah said:

Yeh? Well I still use XP as a daily driver on the "information superhighway". Without antivirus. Without antimalware. And an OLDER version of FireFox!

XP will literally get infected just sitting there idle without a firewall.

Edited by leech
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, leech said:

XP will literally get infected just sitting there ifle without a firewall.

Mine doesn't. And I leave it on overnight all the time to play engine sounds for my starship bedroom. Though I suspect my ISP is providing some sort of threat detection and mitigation. So who knows..

 

Edit: Might have the internal built-in firewall on. I don't really know. Last time the system got infected was back in 2009. Clicked on something by mistake and downloaded and ran one of those "fix-my-pc" utilities. Just restored from an offline backup and continued on.

Edited by Keatah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stephen said:

Security by obscurity - keeping Linux users safe forever!

Huh, considering all Linux users tend to keep their stuff patched much better than Windows users do (especially those sticking to EOL versions).  Security by obscurity is using an Amiga to browse the internet, or a PPC mac... considering Linux pretty much runs the majority of the internet these days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Keatah said:

Mine doesn't. And I leave it on overnight all the time to play engine sounds for my starship bedroom. Though I suspect my ISP is providing some sort of threat detection and mitigation. So who knows..

 

Edit: Might have the internal built-in firewall on. I don't really know. Last time the system got infected was back in 2009. Clicked on something by mistake and downloaded and ran one of those "fix-my-pc" utilities. Just restored from an offline backup and continued on.

Yeah, as long as you even have the minimal firewall on or some "by default" services iff, you can be fine.  Curious how much stuff simply doesn't run due to needing new libraries though?  At this point you may as well run Linux/BSD with XP in a VM with snapshots.

 

Speaking of old systems, I built a Pentium 3 box a few months ago with Win98SE.  Forgot how painful that is, but even using a Compact Flash -> IDE adapter makes it much faster than it used to be on a spindle disk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, leech said:

Yeah, as long as you even have the minimal firewall on or some "by default" services iff, you can be fine.  Curious how much stuff simply doesn't run due to needing new libraries though?  At this point you may as well run Linux/BSD with XP in a VM with snapshots.

I suppose about 10-15 out of 100 or so applications I use semi-regularly are not working due to the developers switching to more recent compilers and APIs and such. As far as games go? Probably in the thousands or even hundreds of thousands.

 

8 hours ago, leech said:

Speaking of old systems, I built a Pentium 3 box a few months ago with Win98SE.  Forgot how painful that is, but even using a Compact Flash -> IDE adapter makes it much faster than it used to be on a spindle disk.

I'm happy to maintain my legacy 486 and PIII. But to go and build another? Forget it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Keatah said:

I suppose about 10-15 out of 100 or so applications I use semi-regularly are not working due to the developers switching to more recent compilers and APIs and such. As far as games go? Probably in the thousands or even hundreds of thousands.

 

I'm happy to maintain my legacy 486 and PIII. But to go and build another? Forget it.

 

Ha, yeah I built one up as I still have floating around a Matrox G400 and Voodoo 1 board so I could play some old Glide games along with older DirectX stuff that no longer works on current systems.  I even managed though to get (stable?) USB2 support in Windows 98... that was a weird thing to do, as the first three attempts made explorer not work (like no files would show.)  Trying to get Win98 to be stable actually does make you appreciate all the versions that came afterward...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Keatah said:

Yeh? Well I still use XP as a daily driver on the "information superhighway". Without antivirus. Without antimalware. And an OLDER version of FireFox!

Without antivirus you won't even know your XP is infected until disaster happens. It's a digging your head in the sand kind of security, good luck :)  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

These things in stores yet? 

 

Any day now, right?:lol:

Didn't you hear?  They were so popular that GameStop sold out of their entire allotment in seventeen minutes at midnight on April 30th.  They also cut a deal with Wal-Mart for their entire run of hardware because they knew that these were going to be SO POPULAR that they were going to need additional stock just to keep knife fights from breaking out at the stores.  This was the only reason why it took them seventeen minutes to run out of units; just theirs alone would have taken twelve minutes, but GameStop knew that twelve minutes just wouldn't cut it for a hot item like the Ataribawx™.

 

Wal-Mart, cowering under GameStop's retail might, sold them all of their inventory at 20% below invoice.  That may sound like knuckling under on Wal-Mart's behalf, but given that GameStop has enough market muscle to pretty much write the rules for the entire retail industry, there really weren't much else in the way of options.  Just imagine the executive meetings held in Bentonville in which the words, "Wal-Mart, a division of GameStop," were whispered in pure and utter terror; given the circumstances, it's entirely understandable.  Sometimes it really is better to just take one hit and avoid outright corporate absorption for another couple of years.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Does that mean it's a hit?

Damn it - you beat me to it.  It's such shit - I mean it's such a hit, you can't even buy them.  Just like the Sony PS5, which they of course are not competing with.

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only sense they're competing with the PS5 is when it comes to AMD's production capacity.

 

They're probably losing quite badly there too though.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt_B said:

The only sense they're competing with the PS5 is when it comes to AMD's production capacity.

 

They're probably losing quite badly there too though.

Unlike a PS5 I can actually get a VCS for a reasonable price.  People threw them up on eBay.  Is there even a reason to get a PS5 yet?  I am sure some amazing game will eventually be released for it, or maybe the next PSVR will be cool, but that is a year or so away...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Didn't you hear?  They were so popular that GameStop sold out of their entire allotment in seventeen minutes at midnight on April 30th.

I totally read that as "Gamestop sold out of their entire allotment of seventeen in minutes at midnight on April 30th."

 

But of course that's ridiculous.

 

It would take Gamestop weeks to sell seventeen AtariVCisn'ts.

 

Assuming Atari could get seventeen of them to Gamestop in the first place.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...