IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

I love my speaker hat. Unlike all you petulant children, I have real world experience having bought and owned one.

If Atari designs, builds and packages the VCS with the same quality and care, it will be great.

But how would any of you know even 2nd hand thoughts in that other thread where the moderators are also modern Atari haters who ban anyone from the thread who disagrees with the mob mentality, bans them from using the private messages so we cant talk to other people who believe in the project.

Talk about manipulating popular opinion and the media! That is not a false thing- it actually occurs right here. Self important children hiding behind a keyboard who allow everyone to dish it out but stifle any counter opinion or rebuttal.

• Like 1

I love my speaker hat. Unlike all you petulant children, I have real world experience having bought and owned one.

If Atari designs, builds and packages the VCS with the same quality and care, it will be great.

But how would any of you know even 2nd hand thoughts in that other thread where the moderators are also modern Atari haters who ban anyone from the thread who disagrees with the mob mentality, bans them from using the private messages so we cant talk to other people who believe in the project.

Talk about manipulating popular opinion and the media! That is not a false thing- it actually occurs right here. Self important children hiding behind a keyboard who allow everyone to dish it out but stifle any counter opinion or rebuttal.

Not sure where you're getting this from. We had someone bust into the other thread engaging in personal, nationalistic and political attacks on an entire country and the moderator took action. Nobody has been banned or silenced for simply sharing a different perspective or opinion.

• Like 5

Not sure where you're getting this from. We had someone bust into the other thread engaging in personal, nationalistic and political attacks on an entire country and the moderator took action. Nobody has been banned or silenced for simply sharing a different perspective or opinion.

P-dubs is referring to himself. He's been kicked from "the other" thread for being obstreperous. He doesn't add much to AtariAge discourse, choosing to post only in AtariBox threads, when he's not shilling for Atari SA stock on investment boards, and singing the praises of his beloved speaker hats.

• Like 3

If anyone wants to turn this thread into the "bitching about being blocked from the other thread" thread, you will be promptly and happily blocked here as well. For the hundredth time, we are not the thought police, and we are not in the business of wantonly blocking or banning anyone who disagrees with us. The moderators are here to enforce the forum rules, not any kind of mob mentality.

• Like 5

You joined this site 15 years ago to play traffic cop on AtariBox threads? Not the choice I would have gone with.

Really? What is your choice? Making mindless 6th grade jokes hoping your online friends will laugh so you can feel better about yourself and where you are at this point in your life?

Mission accomplished for you and everyone like you in that thread if you are indeed in 6th grade.

If you are in your 40s, 50s, 60s... then the laugh is on you.

But again- how would you guys have any idea since it is a closed ecosystem with a like minded moderator that runs the cafeteria and only lets the bully cool kids in- so you can talk to yourselves in an echo? Of course you all think you are right when there is nothing else being said.

Easy- they banned me months ago. My posts are still there, please - go read them and tell me if they are worthy of being banned from the thread and using any private messaging. Especially given the context of the thread and what is allowed there.

Nice try, Dubs. You were banned from the thread for posting things that were completely unhinged, defamatory, and profane. Your "final" rant in "that thread" was deleted (probably just hidden, technically) by a moderator. Not unlike how you were kicked from the VW forum a while back.

I'm not going to repost the vile things you said, but they do not reflect well on you in any way. I have a copy of them and I know that several other people do, too. Your remaining posts on here don't tell the whole story of your trollish behavior.

One can only guess at your motivation. I guess you've received some attention (mostly negative) and I guess you might have convinced a few people in investing forums that the Atari penny stock is the new hotness. Neither adds much to the conversation. You're not a victim here, nor do you have any claim to the high road.

• Like 8

Anyone who wants to turn this thread into the "bitching about being blocked from the other thread" thread, you will be promptly and happily blocked here as well. For the hundredth time, we are not the thought police, and we are not in the business of wantonly blocking or banning anyone who disagrees with us. The moderators are here to enforce the forum rules, not any kind of mob mentality.

I would like to take the time to formally apologise for my antics in that thread. I'm not asking to be let off, or allowed back in that thread, I genuinely feel a idiot, now. And there are times I just lose it.

I don't hate the US, or Americans.

So jaybird3rd, please accept my apologies, I'm genuinely sorry, and it won't happen again.

• Like 4

I For the hundredth time, we are not the thought police, and we are not in the business of wantonly blocking or banning anyone who disagrees with us. The moderators are here to enforce the forum rules, not any kind of mob mentality.

Please go read and tell me what rule I ever broke? Im waiting.

Until proved otherwise- 100% of what I said is true.

Even this-

if anyone wants to turn this thread into the "bitching about being blocked from the other thread" thread, you will be promptly and happily blocked here as well.

Shows a complelty unprofessional and childish response. How about you look into the problem of the people in management before dismissing complaints about the management?

That wouldnt fly in the real world and any business that was ran like that would fail.

Please go read and tell me what rule I ever broke? Im waiting.

From our forum guidelines:

Trolling

Trolling isn't always easy to define, but it generally is easy to spot. Trolling usually involves disrupting a thread by posting messages that are off-topic, rude, inciting, and so forth. We recognize that topics will often veer off course for one reason or another, but when an individual member repeatedly disrupts threads in a negative fashion, that member will be warned.

Comments such as these ...

Mob triggered.

But again- how would you guys have any idea since it is a closed ecosystem with a like minded moderator that runs the cafeteria and only lets the bully cool kids in- so you can talk to yourselves in an echo? Of course you all think you are right when there is nothing else being said.

... are "rude," "inciting," and "disruptive." Keep it up if you want to be blocked here, too.

• Like 4

Holy crap- you are missing the point.

The entire other VCS thread that exists is rude, inciting, and disruptive to anyone who doesnt hate modern Atari and want it to fail.

The keep it up response is not how an intelligent adult handles this. Thats how an alcoholic father thinks he should deal with his kids. Solves nothing, just makes it worse.

Again- show proof in that other thread why I would be banned in that other thread besides disagreeing with the others.

I broke no rules, and in the realm of that thread neither did the others that got banned.

The mob gets to do whatever they want, anyone that speaks out gets kicked. Real mature.

Why not allow a counterpoint?

Im fully expecting to get banned, and this evidence deleted to make yourselves seem justified. Instead of standing your ground and allowing more than just your opinion.

Holy crap- you are missing the point.

The entire other VCS thread that exists is rude, inciting, and disruptive to anyone who doesnt hate modern Atari and want it to fail.

It seems that you missed my point when I said this:

If there were "lots" of harassment and abuse happening, it wouldn't be difficult for anyone to find an example and report it. If, on the other hand, the community has come to the consensus that anyone supporting "Atari SA" is foolish to do so, and you simply don't like that consensus, that's not abuse or harassment, nor is it a moderation issue.

A group of us in the other thread have reached the conclusion that "Atari SA" does not deserve our trust, our support, or our respect, and you don't like that. So be it. That in itself doesn't make the entire thread "rude, inciting, and disruptive."

The mob gets to do whatever they want, anyone that speaks out gets kicked. Real mature.

Why not allow a counterpoint?

Again, quoting myself:

Other perspectives and opposing views are welcome. People who repeatedly violate forum rules, and/or people who openly encourage others in doing so, are not.

It's not that you disagree; it's that you don't seem to be able to disagree without being disagreeable.

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure if someone becomes a problem in a specific thread, the admins will ban them from that thread alone. In the event of a thread ban, the member is still free to discuss things with other members in PM. If they become a problem across multiple boards, then the banhammer comes out. The admin at AtariAge have been pretty tolerant of fans and haters of the Ataribox project, only banning people when attacks become personal. I have not personally witnessed anyone getting banned because they voiced an opinion. It's usually because they voiced an opinion inappropriately, or personally attacked other members who had dissenting opinions from their own.

As far as my opinion, I stand in the middle ground. Do I think Ataribox / VCS II is a bad idea? Yes. Do I think they'll actually ship "something?" Possibly. Or at least I like to believe they will deliver. It isn't blind faith to be cautiously optimistic. I do however, believe this console will be dead on arrival. Not to say it won't function as advertised, but that it will likely get zero support from developers. Aside from the $10 Atari compilation (which you could do for free using an emulation front end and illegally downloaded ROMs), and the Tempest 4000 app which I still have my doubts will ever come out for Linux / VCS (it is still possible they may port it if Atari SA throws money at it).

As it stands, the VCS will likely only be good for running a limited selection of Steam games, and as an emulation box. Many people who bought Ouya only ever used it for emulators and free games, as evidenced by the fact that 75% of owners never bought anything for the console. Ataribox is a good bit more powerful than Ouya, but still underpowered compared to the original release of XB1/PS4. Is it worth $300 as a cheap emulation box? Probably not. And cooling is a big question mark. That slimline ribbed case, even if it is vented, will not be adequate for cooling alone without a fan of some type. A laptop style heatpipe to pump air from the CPU out of the case backside (with passive air intakes in the vented ribs) would be adequate for this type of embedded pcb. But this involves redesigning the case around the product, not putting the cart before the horse as Atari SA has done (and Chameleon clowns before it) by designing the interiors around the case.

That said, I don't care how bad the Atari VCS II flops after release. I only preordered the VCS II joystick. I imagine with the Atari being Linux based, the BT/USB joystick will use standard protocol and be accessible from Windows, Raspberry Pis, or other devices. I'll be the first to admit I'm a joystick junkie, and the low $33 entry price means that if the entire project does fail, I'm not out any more cash than I might blow getting drunk at a bar on a weekend. In fact, the joystick is probably a wiser "investment." :P

• Like 3

Really? What is your choice? Making mindless 6th grade jokes hoping your online friends will laugh so you can feel better about yourself and where you are at this point in your life?

Mission accomplished for you and everyone like you in that thread if you are indeed in 6th grade.

If you are in your 40s, 50s, 60s... then the laugh is on you.

For the record, I am still in my 30s. And if the mods decide to ban you, it is for making stupid arguments like yours. It doesn't matter if I'm 16, 37, or 85. I enjoy playing Atari and discussing it with others who share my interests.

In fact, my 77 year old mother (I was a late surprise) and I sat down and played PONG (Video Olympics) the other day on our TCL HDTV, and somehow she managed to beat me twice playing Foozball mode. So yeah, age does not matter if you're having fun. There's an inner child in all of us. :)

• Like 2

I am not an Atari hater and I have yet to be banned. I actually want to see them put out something successful. I also expected them to do their job better and refuse to even consider handing over money for something that is currently non-existent.

That thread exists based on how Atari has handled the entire thing. I would encorage you to go to the Intellivision and see the threads on their new system. You will not see the same type of stuff, and that is because of how that company is handling their project.

And I am glad you enjoy your speakerhat. I think some of the designs look nice and I would love to have one for when I am working in the garden. However I do not feel it is worth $130. Especially when I have bought a nice UERoll speaker that I can easily hang on my garden fence that is also water proof, something I can easily lend to family or friends, or when I have guests over we can take turns being DJ.

I was hoping that this thread would have more stuff in it. So instead of not being happy that you can't participate in the thread (that in reality you don't want to anyways) how about you talk about the latest news on the VCS in this thread?

• Like 6

I would like to take the time to formally apologise for my antics in that thread. I'm not asking to be let off, or allowed back in that thread, I genuinely feel a idiot, now. And there are times I just lose it.

I don't hate the US, or Americans.

So jaybird3rd, please accept my apologies, I'm genuinely sorry, and it won't happen again.

Lol well you were right about me being fat ;)

• Like 1

@Powerdubs, perhaps you should take a break from this thread and check out the other wonderful things AtariAge has to offer? :ponder:

powerdub.png

I hope he checks out the Intellivision thread to see how a company can go about making a new console and not go about it in a way that makes them look shady or inept.

I was hoping that this thread would have more stuff in it.

Believe it or not, I did too. That would mean Atari was actually putting out new info, or at least had something to say.

Maybe the updates are flowing like a faucet on the Indiegogo page but it's been over 3 weeks since they've seen fit to post anything on Facebook.

• Like 1

Believe it or not, I did too. That would mean Atari was actually putting out new info, or at least had something to say.

Maybe the updates are flowing like a faucet on the Indiegogo page but it's been over 3 weeks since they've seen fit to post anything on Facebook.

All quiet on the IGG front. Just a few speculative comments from backers, nothing from the source.

I too would like this to be better, though it seems irrational to focus on hardware when they have trouble getting software right.