Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mockduck

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Recommended Posts

Out of those 96 units that "shipped" many weeks back, it's odd that there has only been ONE single photo, and that "person" that received it is no longer allowed to say anything about it.  This un-console is so utterly amazing, that not a single leak has gotten out.  The people must be fully occupied with playing all the amazing launch games.  Oh wait - there are no launch games.  Well maybe the moms are all Netflix and Chill, and haven't been able to post.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Netflix & Chill? is that a secret code for S3X? Shhh! (I'm not a pimp!, I dont know these things)

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stephen said:

Out of those 96 units that "shipped" many weeks back, it's odd that there has only been ONE single photo, and that "person" that received it is no longer allowed to say anything about it.  This un-console is so utterly amazing, that not a single leak has gotten out.  The people must be fully occupied with playing all the amazing launch games.  Oh wait - there are no launch games.  Well maybe the moms are all Netflix and Chill, and haven't been able to post.

Aside from the Twitter person, there's actually been a couple people who have posted pics on Instagram that also got one of those early units, so there isn't only "one" person who got their hands on a one.

 

Just sayin.

  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LoonyLucas said:

Aside from the Twitter person, there's actually been a couple people who have posted pics on Instagram that also got one of those early units, so there isn't only "one" person who got their hands on a one.

 

Just sayin.

Pics?

 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weren't those other pics just people reposting the first pic? My memory could be fuzzy, but I thought it was various reposts

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AtariLeaf said:

Weren't those other pics just people reposting the first pic? My memory could be fuzzy, but I thought it was various reposts

 

I think they were from people who worked from Atari's PR firm. I'd have to go back and try and find the pics.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bmadgames said:

I think they were from people who worked from Atari's PR firm. I'd have to go back and try and find the pics.

Pretty sure you are right ... there was even a discussion where FAtari admitted they did not want preview units in the hands of those they couldn’t control.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Those do not count as "units in the wild",
obviously they do not want a unit to end up anywhere outside the Atari crew, or it will get reviewed into oblivion, they do not want someone to say
"I'd rather have a 🐃 take a 💩 dump in my 👂🏻 than play this console.

This console is going to be the 2020 update to Action-52, without any launch titles it will be just the pre-loaded Atari Vault games... so $400 for 100 old games?
That works out to... $4 a game!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LoonyLucas said:

Aside from the Twitter person, there's actually been a couple people who have posted pics on Instagram that also got one of those early units, so there isn't only "one" person who got their hands on a one.

 

Just sayin.

We know three people have them...CJ Melendez and Mario Kroll of UberStrategist, and Shelly Murphy, who apparently got one because she's trying to develop the Atari hotels and whose kid posted a pic on Twitter.

 

The two PR flacks couldn't wait to put theirs through their paces that first weekend, and then we never heard about them again.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, racerx said:

We know three people have them...CJ Melendez and Mario Kroll of UberStrategist, and Shelly Murphy, who apparently got one because she's trying to develop the Atari hotels and whose kid posted a pic on Twitter.

 

The two PR flacks couldn't wait to put theirs through their paces that first weekend, and then we never heard about them again.

You got it.  There are these things called 'NDAs' which I'm guessing they had to sign.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And all those "Developers"!  ...   :lolblue: 

 

 

 "They"  are probably all working 'round the clock on super top secret "launch titles"....Don't want to spoil the surprise ya know.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But wouldn't you want people to talk about your soon to launch major big deal bomb diggity edition wonder console?

 

Maybe Netflix is paying them to keep this thing low profile because they know when this launches it will destroy every server they have trying to keep up with all those Moms signing up to binge watch James Bond films.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LoonyLucas said:

You got it.  There are these things called 'NDAs' which I'm guessing they had to sign.

A year out before launch?  Yes.  A month before launch? No way.  A month out is when you bombard everyone with footage. You need  to generate hype and make the system a household name.

 

I realize Atari doesn't have a huge marketing budget, but they still wouldn't want to stop people from talking about the system this close to launch.  The last thing you want is for your product to have a stealth release. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Agillig said:

A year out before launch?  Yes.  A month before launch? No way.  A month out is when you bombard everyone with footage. You need  to generate hype and make the system a household name.

 

I realize Atari doesn't have a huge marketing budget, but they still wouldn't want to stop people from talking about the system this close to launch.  The last thing you want is for your product to have a stealth release. 

As speculated before, that may not be a going concern. They could have realistically sold what they wanted and will just have limited availability going forward for the remaining buyers in the very specific niche they're targeting. Onboarding various subscription services is probably the easiest way of fulfilling various obligations without having to put in any additional effort. It will do more or less what was promised and then the hardcore hobbyists can choose to do more with it should they so choose until they lose interest and move onto the next project. I just don't think there are any expectations beyond that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Agillig said:

A year out before launch?  Yes.  A month before launch? No way.  A month out is when you bombard everyone with footage. You need  to generate hype and make the system a household name.

 

I realize Atari doesn't have a huge marketing budget, but they still wouldn't want to stop people from talking about the system this close to launch.  The last thing you want is for your product to have a stealth release. 

I actually agree with this.  But obviously that's what Atari is deciding to do, so that's on them.

 

Personally I don't care.  I dont need game footage.  I didnt back the VCS for triple A titles.  When it gets released, I'll get mine, its gonna fit my gaming setup nicely and I'll be stoked to play with.    I already know how I plan on using mine.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, LoonyLucas said:

Personally I don't care.  I dont need game footage.  I didnt back the VCS for triple A titles.  When it gets released, I'll get mine, its gonna fit my gaming setup nicely and I'll be stoked to play with.    I already know how I plan on using mine.

I'm curious at what point of Atari making excuses and not producing the promised product that you would care? What's the line that would make you say "enough is enough?"

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, LoonyLucas said:

I actually agree with this.  But obviously that's what Atari is deciding to do, so that's on them.

 

Personally I don't care.  I dont need game footage.  I didnt back the VCS for triple A titles.  When it gets released, I'll get mine, its gonna fit my gaming setup nicely and I'll be stoked to play with.    I already know how I plan on using mine.

Is this gonna be the hill the most rabid backers have chosen to die on?

 

"Yes, it's looking like the VCS is going to be every bit the marketplace failure everyone predicted, but it fits my needs and I'm still stoked?"

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

I'm curious at what point of Atari making excuses and not producing the promised product that you would care? What's the line that would make you say "enough is enough?"

They definitely havent been perfect in communicating and have had a bumpy road with production and marketing, but unless they cancel the project completely, I'm not upset.  I'm a patient person.  Developing a console from scratch isnt easy.  I guess I'm not as critical of them as 99% of you taco peeps are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, racerx said:

Is this gonna be the hill the most rabid backers have chosen to die on?

 

"Yes, it's looking like the VCS is going to be every bit the marketplace failure everyone predicted, but it fits my needs and I'm still stoked?"

Yea, it fits my needs.  That's why I backed it.  It will be a bummer if it fails, but even if it does, it's still going to function for what I will be using it for.  I'm sorry if it doesn't meet your expectations.  Sounds like you shouldn't have backed it if you did or pre-ordered it if you did. 

 

If you didnt do either, you sure seem to care a lot about what other people decide what to do with their money.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LoonyLucas said:

They definitely havent been perfect in communicating and have had a bumpy road with production and marketing, but unless they cancel the project completely, I'm not upset.  I'm a patient person.  Developing a console from scratch isnt easy.  I guess I'm not as critical of them as 99% of you taco peeps are.

I was very open to the concept at first, but to me lots of red flags started popping up quickly as they delayed the launch. Them presenting a prop and not knowing what they were talking about at GDC 2018 was a huge red flag and it snowballed from there. They had nothing more than a concept when they asked for money, while they were portraying it as real hardware that they had in hand. Them not paying people they had contracted for this twice is also not what I'd call something worth ignoring...among other things. There is a lot that Atari has done to themselves that warrant criticism. They haven't boosted the brand either, they've been dragging it through the mud.

 

 I guess you backer peeps like sending money to an unethical and incompetent company just because it has a Fuji logo on it? 

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LoonyLucas said:

Yea, it fits my needs.  That's why I backed it.  It will be a bummer if it fails, but even if it does, it's still going to function for what I will be using it for.  I'm sorry if it doesn't meet your expectations.  Sounds like you shouldn't have backed it if you did or pre-ordered it if you did. 

 

If you didnt do either, you sure seem to care a lot about what other people decide what to do with their money.

Great, let's rehash the "other people and their money choices" debate for another 1000 pages.  That's not at all the point that we skeptics have been making for what, 3 years now?

 

How do you know it will fit your needs when you don't even know what it does or care what software it has or doesn't have?

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LoonyLucas said:

If you didnt do either, you sure seem to care a lot about what other people decide what to do with their money.

Cendejas, I don't care if someone simply lights their money on fire. It's theirs.

 

Tacos and fun aside, the question we've posed from the very initial announcement of the Ataribox was how a company the size of the current Atari planned to design, develop, release, and support a console of any marketplace relevance. We posed it here, we posed it on the Atari and Atari VCS Facebook pages, and we posed it on their Twitter and Reddit feeds. We never got an answer, but we were labeled haters and trolls and generally banned for daring to ask.

 

We're now seeing the obvious answer to that question. I'm glad it's worked out for you, but it's not remotely what was pitched at the beginning. No, I didn't back it, but I'll bet plenty who did are wishing they'd listened to the haters and trolls.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, racerx said:

it's not remotely what was pitched at the beginning.

Indeed. It hasn't. Not by an "Asteroid". Save the endorsed supporters, Atari market stock investors and crypto tokens shills, most of backers were lured with a pitch that was completely removed after funds were locked. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am very happy to be out from under my preorder. I really hope something comes out so the next guy doesn't get scammed. But he understands the risks. I hope it is exactly what he wants. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...