IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

^

"The Atari Group, one of the world’s most iconic consumer brands and interactive entertainment producers"

Man these people really can toot their own horn ad nauseam... Console has not even been shipped yet and they are claiming that drivel.

Or maybe they are referring to the Jaguar console, or the Lynx, or all those flashbacks that get dumped intot eh liquidation bins at Walmart.

• Like 1

I mean, probably Centipede. That tends to be the game I use for emulators and compilations as well to see if I can spot differences in things like speed and accuracy, sound, and graphics and control options. For whatever reason that game has had a ton of variance over the years. 

Edited by Mockduck
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Make sure you have a good power bar, long ago I left my computer running during a storm, power spike zinged the motherboard. I learned a lesson but it was no biggie, I just salvaged all the components and built a new one, just cost me time.

On 9/29/2020 at 2:14 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

You are living in a bubble by ignoring what MrBeefy pointed out. Here to help, here are around 7,200 titles that are retro inspired, most are 2D and all are in HD: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=retro

You can narrow by OS and filter it to Steam-OS + Linux

On 9/30/2020 at 7:22 PM, Andromeda Stardust said:

Serious question folks: Do you guys think this make a viable Linux PC box, of am I better off searching elsewhere? Buy a used laptop or something? I have zero interest in this as a game system.

The Gaming on Linux communities seem to be pretty excited by the VCS. 

On 10/1/2020 at 10:25 AM, roots.genoa said:

First round pre-sales net them $500+k; that amount was mainly contributed by the partners to fund development of the project. A 2nd round of private sales of $1 million, was raised from third parties and from its business partner ICICB.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, The Historian said:

The Gaming on Linux communities seem to be pretty excited by the VCS. 

Considering how SteamOS-powered Steam Machines with more relative power than the VCS failed (although to be fair at a much higher average cost) with less than 500,000 units sold, is that community big enough to make much of a difference in VCS sales if we estimate it at only around 10,000 units to date? Would they be good for another 10,000? More?

• Like 1

Perhaps Atari needs a promotion to get the word out that a new system is back in town!
I did not know that Taco Bell had given away gold Playstations!

If Taco bell gives away any console it should be the AtacoBox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3vrObyKP-M

• Like 2

On 10/1/2020 at 3:49 AM, roots.genoa said:

It's just an illusion - hoo hoo hoo hoo aha!

Haha... I was just listening to this song earlier today! 

Could it be that

It’s just an illusion

Putting me back

In all this confusion...

A pretty apt description of this disaster of a console launch! ?

• Like 3

So... I ordered my new VCS back in... I dunno... early 2018? 

I saw something that said it's coming before December? 

I've done everything I'm supposed to do... but I have a really good feeling they have no record of me ever buying anything and that I'll never end up getting it. Lol... 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

So... I ordered my new VCS back in... I dunno... early 2018? 

I saw something that said it's coming before December? 

I've done everything I'm supposed to do... but I have a really good feeling they have no record of me ever buying anything and that I'll never end up getting it. Lol... 

Did you fill out your backerkit survey?  More of just a database than a survey really.  They just need your contact info for shipping to you.

Just now, joeatari1 said:

Did you fill out your backerkit survey?  More of just a database than a survey really.  They just need your contact info for shipping to you.

Yeah, I remember doing that a while back... I dunno, a little over a year ago I suppose? 

I just figure there'd be a bit better communication, like... "Hey Todd, we have the following items that we plan to ship to you in the next 6 months... " or whatever. I've never gotten anything that validates that in fact I'm supposed to be getting anything... even though I paid $250+ whatever it is like almost 3 years ago.

5 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

Yeah, I remember doing that a while back... I dunno, a little over a year ago I suppose? 

I just figure there'd be a bit better communication, like... "Hey Todd, we have the following items that we plan to ship to you in the next 6 months... " or whatever. I've never gotten anything that validates that in fact I'm supposed to be getting anything... even though I paid $250+ whatever it is like almost 3 years ago.

Well, as with all the communications regarding this campaign, it's lackluster at best.  It doesn't mean it will never happen, just that the communication stinks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OCAT said:

What?! If they don't deliver your VCS you paid for then SUE THE PANTS OFF OF THEM! ??????

I've waited almost 3 years, I can wait a little longer. But suing wouldn't be worth it. I'm not that kind of person, I generally think people get what they deserve, and they probably needed that $250 far more than I did. But either way, I really want a Linux-based Atari.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

But suing wouldn't be worth it. I'm not that kind of person, I generally think people get what they deserve, and they probably needed that $250 far more than I did. 

Financially, it is certainly not worth the effort. Around here, the Small Claims filing fee is about $100. There is also the cost to prepare and serve (via courier or registered mail) the documents on the other party. There is also the time away from work (or family or playing video games) to appear in Court, etc. 

Best case scenario, Atari does not file a defense and you receive a default judgment for $250 + costs. Ok, the company has no assets in your jurisdiction. How much more money do you wish to spend to enforce this award? The law of diminishing returns quickly applies. It is simply not cost-effective. 

Someone recently threatened to sue my employer over a dispute of less than $200. The manager literally laughed at him. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 4:24 PM, Bill Loguidice said:

Considering how SteamOS-powered Steam Machines with more relative power than the VCS failed (although to be fair at a much higher average cost) with less than 500,000 units sold, is that community big enough to make much of a difference in VCS sales if we estimate it at only around 10,000 units to date? Would they be good for another 10,000? More?

That I can't tell you. I own an Alienware Alpha TO which came with a setup for Kodi with a custom theme to make it more like a console. These were also designed to be SteamOS machines, but they never really gained traction for that.

But there is a contingent of users that don't care about Atari so much as they want a decent gaming device with Linux as the default OS.