IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

2 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

Just posting to note that the January thing isn't an official delay, as I don't think they actually mentioned anything about general release just backer models. 

From gleaming through info though it sounds like late December for backer units is the new plan. BUSINESS DAYS NOT WEEKS! 

Also, atari coin token whatever was never going to make financial sense. Its a made up currency, its backed by nothing its value is whatever you make it. You'd be better investing buying phsycial video games and holding onto them for 10 years and reselling. Mystical valueless numbers that can't be used anywhere never give returns, it's an old trick, longer than the Internet or computers by a large margin, but people still fall for it. 

What they did say, however, is "weeks not months" And that was almost a year ago.And that was almost a year ago.

• Like 4

^ Every thing official that comes out of Atari is Allegedly hearsay and conjecture... unles otherwise stated, and that is also hearsay.

But dont fret peeps, the scampagin train has just started to warm up, there are plenty of jobbers salivating at the mouth to get some of that sweet sweet retro pie money ???? Even I can come up with "retro sounding" console names...

The Sigma Electra Game Activator.. (or SEGA for short)... xD
The Tronsmatic multivibrator (sounds sexy)
The give me your money suckazzz!

• Haha 3

On 11/1/2020 at 12:01 AM, jamm said:

Yep - this is the only reason that makes sense. They're trying to buy time to get the software done.  At least done enough where it doesn't immediately fall apart.

On 10/31/2020 at 5:18 PM, Matt_B said:

I suspect that they've still got issues on the software front. We've all seen that the dev unit boots up with just the one app - Atari Vault - so what's to assume that they've got any further with the production version? Pretty much all the other videos they've shown so far of anyone doing anything with it were running Windows with extra RAM and storage.

As such, they'll be using every excuse they can to push back the shipping date while they cobble together the remaining apps.

Nope, you are dead wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

20 hours ago, Matt_B said:

Shitty plastics aren't enough these days.

You need a special edition with a real shit veneer for $100 extra the very least.

You guys are forgetting the MOST IMPORTANT part of the equation of any new retro box...

BLINKY LEDS

Mustafa Ali Stop GIF - MustafaAli Stop LedLights GIFs

Each LED alone adds $100 to the price!

• Haha 8
  • Sad 1

Well one reason for wanting to ship all of them is that the people that ordered them and paid in advace are less likely to give it a completely fail grade and bash it on youtube. IF you release it to just anyone, the "haters" will review it compared to the established players and we know what will happen. Especially with all the AVGN clones on youtube there will be numerous "This game console is a steaming pile of buffalo.... ????????????"
If you release it to fans at once the glowing reviews will overshadow the authentic ones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OCAT said:

Well one reason for wanting to ship all of them is that the people that ordered them and paid in advace are less likely to give it a completely fail grade and bash it on youtube. IF you release it to just anyone, the "haters" will review it compared to the established players and we know what will happen. Especially with all the AVGN clones on youtube there will be numerous "This game console is a steaming pile of buffalo.... ????????????"
If you release it to fans at once the glowing reviews will overshadow the authentic ones.

Wasn’t that a chapter of The Prince?

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/6/2020 at 5:59 AM, MCHufnagel said:

What's the real answer then? They're a shitty company, ran by shitty people pushing a shitty product? Well, I would believe that.

I would think it's something like that, correct. It's not incomplete software as some people are talking out their ass about. Atari are royal fuck ups. Making things up about them and the AtariPOS "unconsole" is a waste of time and effort when the truth about them has a track record of always being plenty bad enough.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Agillig said:

https://www.t3.com/us/news/atari-vcs-console-and-pc-202020201107_175831.thumb.jpg.bdff828cdbbe37765d9802b81b10c9e9.jpg

Owned by a Chinese conglomerate?  Did I miss something?  Atari posted this article on their own Facebook page. 

There is literally nothing accurate in that blurb.  Mr. Jones owes me for the electricity his article wasted illuminating pixels on my phone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

I would think it's something like that, correct. It's not incomplete software as some people are talking out their ass about. Atari are royal fuck ups. Making things up about them and the AtariPOS "unconsole" is a waste of time and effort when the truth about them has a track record of always being plenty bad enough.

I don't disagree that Atari are royal fuckups. However, this is not made up.

You can watch Jani Penttinen's video and it's quite clear that the only software on the VCS desktop when he launches it is Atari Vault. This is in stark contrast to the videos they showed earlier in the year where there were a bunch of other apps for things like Netflix, Antstream, Disney+, etc. most of which were presumably just mock-ups as there was a disclaimer to that effect.

He's since stated in a YouTube comment that he was under NDA by Atari to only show his own game and deleted all the other apps from the desktop. Can you honestly think of any other reason why Atari would require that from him? I can understand asking him not to show unannounced or unfinished apps, but surely not ones that have already been confirmed and are ready to use. For contrast, it's not like we haven't seen people under NDAs from Microsoft and Sony showing us around the interfaces for their forthcoming consoles for over a month now.

He also explicitly confirmed that this is one of the earlier dev units and not part of the recent shipment. We still know nothing about those. Sure, they might be sitting in the US with a full OS already installed just waiting for the controller shipment to arrive before being sent on to customers - but their PR people have suddenly become too bashful to show off its features - or there may yet be further shenanigans to come.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt_B said:

Ah, so much fail.

He's not even got the bit about the PS5 right, as that launches in four days, which is considerably less than a 'matter of weeks.'

Days, not weeks.

Weeks, not months.

Months, not years.

Years, not decades.

Decades, not centuries.

Centuries, not millennia.

Where in this cycle is Atari?  How far will they go?  Will it happen before hell freezes over?

• Like 2

On 11/4/2020 at 5:14 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

In the mean time, I just learned about another competitor to both the VCS and Amico, although this one has bizarrely decided to follow the VCS model of being overpriced and having nothing original to it. Behold the Polycade 2600

What type of data and focus group testing did they do to decide people wanted this? IGG? Sounds legit. No gaming console that has used crowdfunding has ever had any type of issue before.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Matt_B said:

We still know nothing about those. Sure, they might be sitting in the US with a full OS already installed just waiting for the controller shipment to arrive before being sent on to customers - but their PR people have suddenly become too bashful to show off its features - or there may yet be further shenanigans to come.

Maybe you don't. If you have been reading along you would understand that I have been privy to a little more information than the general public like yourself. You are guessing and making shit up as you go, I am not. 

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Maybe you don't. If you have been reading along you would understand that I have been privy to a little more information than the general public like yourself. You are guessing and making shit up as you go, I am not. 

You've said that the units were complete and in the country.

You didn't say that you'd seen one up and running yet though, so excuse me for conjecturing based on the information available rather than psychically reading your mind.

• Thanks 1