IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

42 minutes ago, Agillig said:

So why wouldn't someone just buy a PC instead?  Also, why is Atari saying companies are developing games to run on their system, if the system is just a PC?  Wouldn't said games also be able to run on a PC?

Yes - faster and cheaper too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlecRob said:

It wouldnt be emulation, because the VCS is a PC

This is the part you haven't explained clearly.  If it boots to whatever Linux-based OS Fauxtari is using for their UI, how is it running Windows natively?

The same question has been asked over in the other thread (because we really need two parallel threads for the same crap); putting it here as well for clarity.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

I hired a ghost writer, to turn all of the forum posts and fanboy nonsense into a book.

I bet after all of this blows up, The Big Cheese at Atari will also hire a ghost writer, ?? and will not pay the ghost ? and he will be haunted.

6 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

This is the part you haven't explained clearly.  If it boots to whatever Linux-based OS Fauxtari is using for their UI, how is it running Windows natively?

To run Windows applications under Linux, you typically use Wine (which is not an emulator btw)

https://www.winehq.org/

Edited by Paul Slocum

6 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Yep, I'm familiar with WINE.  That's not running the applications natively, however.

The person you were responding to only said that running Tempest 4000 under Atari's Debian Linux didn't require emulation, which is true.  Nobody used the word "natively" except you, and I'm not even sure what that means in this context.  If you mean you can't run something on the Microsoft Windows operating system without Microsoft Windows, that's obviously true.  But programs do essentially run "natively" on the CPU in WINE as Windows is basically just an API.

• Like 1

Another failed target date:

WALMART Shipping date was listed as

"Ships on:
Friday, November 27th"
Item stock:Out of stock    DOES NOT EXIST!!!

?

I am glad to see vaporware getting glowing reviews on WALMART web store

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 2

The Atari site explicitly says you can boot Windows 10 off an external drive, so I assume that's all it is: the BIOS is configured to check for external drives and boot any OS found there.  I doubt WINE support will be included out-of-the-box, since it would add unnecessary complexity and WINE support for current-day games is limited at best.  And while WINE isn't emulation, no one refers to it as "running natively".

I'm really curious to see how much or how little effort went into the VCS's Linux customization when this thing ships next year.

Edited by jamm
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, jamm said:

I'm really curious to see how much or how little effort went into the VCS's Linux customization when this thing ships next year.

HAHA "Next Year"  ?????  Oh my... Thanks for the laughs!

?? many hours later...

next year... ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul Slocum said:

The person you were responding to only said that running Tempest 4000 under Atari's Debian Linux didn't require emulation, which is true.  Nobody used the word "natively" except you, and I'm not even sure what that means in this context.  If you mean you can't run something on the Microsoft Windows operating system without Microsoft Windows, that's obviously true.  But programs do essentially run "natively" on the CPU in WINE as Windows is basically just an API.

Not interested in splitting hairs on the 'Windows is just an API' argument in relation to WINE; that one's been old for 20-plus years.

What I will say is that my stance is that unless the software is running on the OS it was built for, it's not running natively by definition.  You may disagree with that, which is certainly your prerogative, but getting into a series of circular arguments over what WINE is or is not holds absolutely zero interest for me.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 1

The above is what happens when you hire a third party to do your social media but aren't big enough to warrant top talent at top dollar. If you are ever in a position to make that call, hire someone directly instead of outsource it. This is your informed message from someone who knows. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

The above is what happens when you hire a third party to do your social media but aren't big enough to warrant top talent at top dollar. If you are ever in a position to make that call, hire someone directly instead of outsource it. This is your informed message from someone who knows. 

Having seen this nearly tank a company, it's something that I actually have to absolutely agree with.

No outsourced social media company is going to know what your business actually does - nor do they care.  Their interest is in writing whatever copy might get approved so that they can bill hours and move on to the next client.  Screw accuracy; rewrites just mean more billing.

Where I will hold feet to the fire, though, is in not checking the copy before publication.  Which is probably how Fauxtari operated on this, because I doubt they even have anyone on staff who would even know why the copy was wrong to begin with.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, racerx said:

Today's derp from "Atari" is right up there with their infamous "What's your high score in Pong" post.

Screenshot_20201127-115909.thumb.png.8b9b371142e72dff8f06aefa7e83e6e8.png

Well, this post made my day! I apparently have a super-rare prototype of "Wizard" that was mistakenly labeled "Warlords". I wonder how much it's worth? Time to put that sucker up on eBay! I'll just refer to Atari's tweet as proof.

• Haha 8

4 hours ago, Mockduck said:

This statement remids me of when when Atari launched the Token...

"Meanwhile, Atari’s employed admins, as well as its Twitter account, remained completely silent. This left the two newer moderators, that were not employed by Atari, to attempt to answer questions from angry investors." ?

Now you have $0 "employees" at the helm of a sinking ship. ⛰  ? ?

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 11/25/2020 at 1:36 PM, carlsson said:

So who will grab a time machine and go back in time to set us to a different timeline where Atari still is the dominant video games manufacturer?

12 Funniest Time Traveler Memes #12 A Time Traveler Gets Stuck, Leaves A  Note And Then... | Time travel, Best funny pictures, Signs

We will! See you when  then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

As an exercise, I was wondering what it would look like if one lined up the timelines for all these nouveaux-retro consoles.  Still fact-checking some details, but thought you all might like to see what it looks like so far.

209499187_ScreenShot2020-11-28at2_24_21PM.thumb.png.58d866dfa2943761b550d5b1ae22a0bd.png 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, godslabrat said:

As an exercise, I was wondering what it would look like if one lined up the timelines for all these nouveaux-retro consoles.  Still fact-checking some details, but thought you all might like to see what it looks like so far.

209499187_ScreenShot2020-11-28at2_24_21PM.thumb.png.58d866dfa2943761b550d5b1ae22a0bd.png 

I may be slightly brain-dead today, so pardon the question if it's blatantly obvious and I just missed it: what does the 'Total Ruse' column represent?