IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

Atari answers questions during live video chat about the VCS Worth watching-

Oh my Gods, that interview was bad. I haven't seen something that bad sence the Oneta Brian concert. Wow, Mike Arzt gets asked a question and 15 minutes later he's done. He really needs to go to some class on media interviews. Dude, 1 minute answers (or 10 seconds on Fox Fuex News Channel) is all. If you can't answer a question in under 1 minute then there's something wrong.

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos

My PS4 takes voice commands. I rarely use it though. I don't like talking to machines

Don't you just hate when you dial an automated line and it says "please say yes". I fukking hate talking to computers. It used to be "pres 1 for yes, 2 for no, 3+ for more options..." sometimes spamming zero would get you on the line with a human, then they closed that loophole with an automated "sorry you're having trouble. Please try again later..." before being disconnected.

Just let me press a button instead of ennunciate everything to a robot. It worked fine ten years ago. If I'm going to talk to someone, it had better be equipped with a brain, or skme damned good ai, enough to pass the turing test... :roll:

• Like 2

Atari answers questions during live video chat about the VCS Worth watching-

That was more informative than the usual press releases...

So everything not going through the Atari store has to be in the "sandbox mode" that's a sectioned off Ubuntu desktop. That's where the Steam client and any custom emulators would have to go in.

At least this way if support does end for the Atari VCS, it can still be used as a super power Pi. (As a former ST user I learned you have to rely outside the company to get further support for any Atari computer.)

• Like 1

That was more informative than the usual press releases...

So everything not going through the Atari store has to be in the "sandbox mode" that's a sectioned off Ubuntu desktop. That's where the Steam client and any custom emulators would have to go in.

SteamOS does something like this. My concern is if it will be convenient to access these with a game controller? One reason I don't want to put a PC in the living room is that sooner or later it will force you to use a keyboard or mouse for something, and that isn't convenient for a console.

At least this way if support does end for the Atari VCS, it can still be used as a super power Pi. (As a former ST user I learned you have to rely outside the company to get further support for any Atari computer.)

true, lol!

• Like 1

I see some people in this thread admitting they feel a bit foolish for backing the Atari VCS. Don't. I'm willing to be that even if they deliver the product, and it goes belly up a month later, the thing will become and exotic collectible and hit Jaguar-level crazy prices on eBay. I think the same thing is eventually going to happen to the Wii U. There's something about failure and popular brand name that really creates collectible value.

On topic... I think most of us can agree that the new VCS joystick is pretty slick. It's a nice bit of kit, although I'll reserve my final judgment for when I get one in my hands. But what I really want is a new wireless paddle controller to go along with it. Paddle games are uniquely Atari, and some titles just aren't played well without them. it's ridiculous to play Breakout or Pong with a joystick.

• Like 2

So after 1 week the campaign has all but fizzled.

However at $2,647,076, it has moved into spot #87 in all time crowdfunding campaigns.

It just passed "Parcel Genie" and is closing in on "SCiO: Your Sixth Sense"

With my calculations they are #9 all-time for indiegogo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_funded_crowdfunding_projects

I see some people in this thread admitting they feel a bit foolish for backing the Atari VCS. Don't. I'm willing to be that even if they deliver the product, and it goes belly up a month later, the thing will become and exotic collectible and hit Jaguar-level crazy prices on eBay. I think the same thing is eventually going to happen to the Wii U. There's something about failure and popular brand name that really creates collectible value.

On topic... I think most of us can agree that the new VCS joystick is pretty slick. It's a nice bit of kit, although I'll reserve my final judgment for when I get one in my hands. But what I really want is a new wireless paddle controller to go along with it. Paddle games are uniquely Atari, and some titles just aren't played well without them. it's ridiculous to play Breakout or Pong with a joystick.

For years I have been telling everyone I know to make a modern-day USB or wireless paddle controller. For Atari, Arkanoid-types, and other things. I just don't get why there just isn't something like that out there already.

• Like 2

Seriously. Not sure how good they are, but even the Atari Flashback offers paddle controllers for crying out loud. I bet if the VCS folks put paddles on as a stretch goal they could generate a bunch more money just on that one feature alone.

Wii U definitely becomes a collectable. Nintendo seems to have killed the surplus when they discontinued it. They are already fetching high prices on ebay for new systems.

Seriously. Not sure how good they are, but even the Atari Flashback offers paddle controllers for crying out loud. I bet if the VCS folks put paddles on as a stretch goal they could generate a bunch more money just on that one feature alone.

The joystick pole rotates. The Atari UI store uses that to get around. That's the paddle. Also there is a setting to make the button left or right handed. I just wish they'd have a 2nd fire button (the 5200 has games that use the 2nd button). Think of games like scramble or super cobra where you fire with 1 button and drop bombs with the 2nd button.

• Like 1

Awesome! Looks like I'll be getting a few of those.

EDIT: For such an awesome feature I'm not finding any mention of it in their Indigogo page or controller related videos.

If it's not on the IGG page, I wouldn't count on it being a feature. It may end up that way but they wouldn't be obligated to do so.

• Like 2

For such an experienced gaming reviewer, you're a little sloppy on your research. What exactly is your source for any of that, especially considering their UI doesn't exist yet? I think in one article generally bashing their hollow box demo somewhere, somebody wished aloud that the stick might work as a paddle. At best that was conjecture

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 6

For such an experienced gaming reviewer, you're a little sloppy on your research. What exactly is your source for any of that, especially considering their UI doesn't exist yet? I think in one article generally bashing their hollow box demo somewhere, somebody wished aloud that the stick might work as a paddle. At best that was conjecture

Thanks for your support.

So I get all my television thru streaming services like Sling, Philo, Netflix. I use a Roku streaming stick and can install apps for pretty much any streaming service out there. Will the VCS provide this functionality? Does that require each service to provide a VCS compatible app? I did some searching but only saw references to streaming games.