IGNORED

Satan's Hollow makeover

TIX

Hey,

time to dust off  another old favorite of mine..

I'm currently investigating the rom to see what's possible (so the following sprites are not necessarily doable),

ideally I would like to change all moving things, and hopefully to reinstate the castle (instead of the apartment building ?) in the background  !

image.thumb.png.d16c3f73632d893652b179e3de4b6ab5.png

I'd appreciate any help regarding the bitmap display mode the game uses..

Edited by TIX
  • Like 14

Wish I could help re your question TIX, sorry, but thank you for trying to jazz up an old favourite of mine, there's just something addictive despite it being quite samey, I guess we all like sticking it to Satan :)

Good luck, I'm sure it will be as brilliant as the rest of your work..

• Thanks 1

Hey,

I managed to get some work done,

I have successfully changed most moving objects (except those bellow ↓)

still working on the devils heads..

I have located the "castle" chars so I can change it, but I must find a design that blends well with the hideous backdrop colors..

Still can't find the explosion and Satan's breath, also  the rightmost piece of the shield.. see below ☹️

any help locating these ??

image.png.0c7e5f400c1127f45efe4c328618f0ab.png 

So far so good.. "B" group is mine

image.thumb.png.1284a5044d0b13944bef8511d7ecae5e.png

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I only found out about this game when I was into collecting arcade cabs, and only then I found the A8 version which actually is a prettyngoodmconversion but hell (ahahaha) yeah the graphics could use an upgrade !

I’m pretty sure that Satans breath is two Player missiles (same as the Satan) and it looks like it might be “randomly” (within certain rules) calculated/drawn on the fly. 

just some wild guessing…..the explosions look similar.

I was pretty impressed by the “breathe”, I really like the effect. Better actually than the apparent individual, defined sprites that seem to make up the breathe in the arcade and C64 version.

By the way, would love to see some nice arcade artwork title screen and some recreation of the arcade intro/instructions screen…….and of course music and sound effects could be improved but I know, I know….I always start wanting for more improvements…..

23387717-ABA1-4080-AD90-E45253F2D62B.jpeg

Edited by Level42

8 hours ago, Level42 said:

I’m pretty sure that Satans breath is two Player missiles (same as the Satan) and it looks like it might be “randomly” (within certain rules) calculated/drawn on the fly. 

just some wild guessing…..the explosions look similar.

bummer about the breath and explosion.. luckily I have found Satans heads clearly defined in hackomatic, so I can edit them !

8 hours ago, Level42 said:

By the way, would love to see some nice arcade artwork title screen and some recreation of the arcade intro/instructions screen…….and of course music and sound effects could be improved but I know, I know….I always start wanting for more improvements…..

out of my league I'm afraid..  in fact I'm struggling even hacking-in the easy stuff  ?

I wish we had the hacking tools NES have..

• Haha 1

OK, let's be honest: everyone raise hand for not knowing that you had to build the bridge......

I didn't know either when I first played it a few times, thought it was just a shooter.... then I noticed the little thingies sometimes hanging under "me"....happened by accident..... then I figured it out I had to do something with them :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TIX said:

bummer about the breath and explosion.. luckily I have found Satans heads clearly defined in hackomatic, so I can edit them !

out of my league I'm afraid..  in fact I'm struggling even hacking-in the easy stuff  ?

I wish we had the hacking tools NES have..

No worries, your improvements already make a huge difference and we all really appreciate the time you invest !

Maybe some smart coders can come up with the intro screens...

IMHO the breathe is actually pretty cool as it is and doesn't really need improvement, unless you want to be "arcade true", but that would require placing a lot of bitmaps very fast....and totally change the games programming to replace the PM graphics.

I find the randomness of the A8's Satan's Breathe more impressive than the arcade version which uses bitmaps/sprites: (bitmaps obviously copied in mirror repeatedly):

One request: I play the Joy2B version of Satan's Hollow because it allows the use of a Mega Drive joypad and you can use two buttons (second button is shield and pretty often needed in the game), hopefully your graphics improvements can end up in the Joy2B version as well (there is no technical reason for it not to IMHO).

You can find the Joy2B version here:

https://github.com/ascrnet/Joy2Bplus/tree/master/games

Schermafbeelding 2021-11-24 om 13.01.32.png

• Like 1

Taking some wild guesses I managed to restore the "lake",  it looked more like a hill to me,

obviously it's the wrong color, but.. it's hell so it can be a lake of shit !

Also slightly improved flame river on the right..

Sloooowly working my way to the castle, currently trying to figure out those black pillars.

image.thumb.png.09b17ac04e1ef8df7849107403432c7d.png     image.thumb.png.c4ea3d83681bac682df1252579c546cd.png           

• Like 5

On 11/23/2021 at 7:08 AM, TIX said:

Still can't find the explosion and Satan's breath, also  the rightmost piece of the shield.. see below ☹️

any help locating these ??

I found the red part of the flame. It's built out of two PM's side by side. So, the whole thing is cut in half down the middle. It's a repeated pattern (in the narrow section), which just gets shifted up and down.

The part of the flame that hits the ground is oriented in the file as seen in the game; but for some reason, the narrow part is inverted in the file. This is probably why you were having a problem finding it.

IDK which binary or ROM you're working from, but in this one it goes from $16A7 - $16D5. Be careful, though; some of the data within that section is code. ;)

Satan's Hollow.xex

• Like 4

In regards to the background colors and trying to make things look better against it, do keep in mind as you progress the background gets darker and darker until there is almost nothing being shown. I'm assuming this is to indicate a day/night cycle. I'm pretty sure the 8-bit version does this just like the arcade but on the 8-bit version it is even more difficult to make out enemy sprites and some other details in the darker levels.

So the castle being a light grey might be the best color that can be used so it can always been seen.

• Like 3