IGNORED

Bosconian / Turmoil

ZillaRUSH

Hello all.  I had a copy of the first run Bosconian.  It never worked on me original run Phoenix.   It would freeze after a few mins.  It worked fine on the modded OG CV system with F18.  Now I ordered the new version Bosconian...it arrived and it will not work on the OG Modded CV and still has the same issues on the Phoenix.  Anyone have similar issues?  My current Phoenix core on CV is 7 (original run Phoenix).

I also purchased a copy of Turmoil for CV.   Great game....anyone have it...very buggy..or is it my copy?

Thanks for the feedback. 

17 minutes ago, ZillaRUSH said:

I also purchased a copy of Turmoil for CV.   Great game....anyone have it...very buggy..or is it my copy?

Turmoil is buggy.  I cannot get my cart nor the rom to play for any more than a few minutes without crashing or having the screen be corrupted.  I've tried it on my Phoenix, ADAM, and original CV console, both the ROM and the cart. And I've even dumped the cart myself and tried that version of the ROM, same deal.  It's just a buggy game, period. 

41 minutes ago, ZillaRUSH said:

Hello all.  I had a copy of the first run Bosconian.  It never worked on me original run Phoenix.   It would freeze after a few mins.  It worked fine on the modded OG CV system with F18.  Now I ordered the new version Bosconian...it arrived and it will not work on the OG Modded CV and still has the same issues on the Phoenix.  Anyone have similar issues?  My current Phoenix core on CV is 7 (original run Phoenix).

Thanks for the feedback. 

A while ago it was discussed that a lot of Opcode’s games had issues due to noise on pins 7 and 9 that are used for optical rotary controls like trackball and wheel. A lot of problems were fixed by using a small M/F pass thru with pins 7 and 9 pulled out with needle nose pliers. 

My Turmoil is also buggy as hell including random resets.  My cart in its current form is unplayable.  Milli told me that there are two known issues with the game "occasionally when changing levels the screen can get a little corrupted but the game corrects that in a few seconds without stopping. The other is that the pcb can move slightly in the cartridge and cause a weak contact."  He's sending me a new cart so I'll be interested to see if this resolves the issues other than the corrupted screen.

That said, I'm none too impressed that this game was sold with frequent and significant screen corruption even if it does clear itself.  This bug is fixable and the fact that it is knowingly sold this way without warning buyers is simply unacceptable.

1 hour ago, ZillaRUSH said:

Just tested my first run Bosconian on my Phoenix and it seems to be working fine.  Played for a good 5 minutes with no issues (I'll play more later).  Is your Phoenix up to date with its cores?

47 minutes ago, ZillaRUSH said:

Im on Core 7 for my Phoenix.  I think that is the latest for the OG run versions?  Core 8 is for new ones?

Same here - CV core 7 for the original Phoenix run.  Also, here's a picture of my system info just so you can compare it to yours.

I just played the game again for longer this time and got to Round 9 and over 140,000 pts with no issues.

DSC04429.JPG

4 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

My Turmoil is also buggy as hell including random resets.  My cart in its current form is unplayable.  Milli told me that there are two known issues with the game "occasionally when changing levels the screen can get a little corrupted but the game corrects that in a few seconds without stopping. The other is that the pcb can move slightly in the cartridge and cause a weak contact."  He's sending me a new cart so I'll be interested to see if this resolves the issues other than the corrupted screen.

That said, I'm none too impressed that this game was sold with frequent and significant screen corruption even if it does clear itself.  This bug is fixable and the fact that it is knowingly sold this way without warning buyers is simply unacceptable.

I am also having problems with Turmoil crashing :(. I've only tried to play it a few times and it just either resets or crashes. My cartridge is from his eBay sale and in a recycled DK cartridge if that matters.

4 minutes ago, MMarcoux66 said:

I am also having problems with Turmoil crashing :(. I've only tried to play it a few times and it just either resets or crashes. My cartridge is from his eBay sale and in a recycled DK cartridge if that matters.

As far as I know all Turmoil carts are repurposed old Coleco carts.  Mine exhibited the same behaviour as yours plus graphical corruption.  Contact Milli and request a replacement.

1 hour ago, Ikrananka said:

As far as I know all Turmoil carts are repurposed old Coleco carts.  Mine exhibited the same behaviour as yours plus graphical corruption.  Contact Milli and request a replacement.

Thanks for the advice. I just sent him a message via eBay. Game is fun, so I hope this is fixable.

8 hours ago, ZillaRUSH said:

Now I ordered the new version Bosconian...it arrived and it will not work on the OG Modded CV and still has the same issues on the Phoenix.  Anyone have similar issues?  My current Phoenix core on CV is 7 (original run Phoenix).

Thanks for the feedback. 

I have an affirmative reply to this question that I posted in this new version Bosconian thread. I cannot get it to play on my F18a Adam. Dumping the cart and playing it on the AtariMax Ultimate works fine. 

14 hours ago, MMarcoux66 said:

Thanks for the advice. I just sent him a message via eBay. Game is fun, so I hope this is fixable.

This is the reply I received from Milli. "Hi - we have recently discovered that the PCB can sometimes be pushed in slightly into the cartridge case causing intermittent contact problems. This seems to happen predominantly on the Phoenix but has happened on the ColecoVision. We are working on a fix and when done we will be offering a swap for modified cartridges when they are ready. You may be able to remedy this on your end by grabbing the edge connector in the cartridge and seeing if it has been pushed in or its at an angle."

So it definitely looks like a cartridge issue and I am working with Milli on it. The dump I made from the original Turmoil cartridge had the same issues which was a bit surprising even to Milli. I've done some testing today with the official ROM file and most of the issues go away. He has been very friendly and willing to help.

Turmoil a little buggy for me on Phoenix  -- resets after about 3 levels.  I find myself playing it more than other games, bugs and all.   I miss the sideways gameplay, but like it for what it is.  I have not tested on CV.

No problems with new Bosconian on Phoenix.  Have not tested on CV.

Edited by mufla
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MMarcoux66 said:

So it definitely looks like a cartridge issue and I am working with Milli on it. The dump I made from the original Turmoil cartridge had the same issues which was a bit surprising even to Milli. I've done some testing today with the official ROM file and most of the issues go away. He has been very friendly and willing to help.

That's good to hear.  Does the graphical corruption also go away with the official ROM file?  Milli told me that was a known issue so I was under the impression that was independent of the cartridge PCB issue.

4 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

That's good to hear.  Does the graphical corruption also go away with the official ROM file?  Milli told me that was a known issue so I was under the impression that was independent of the cartridge PCB issue.

I am still seeing crashes back to the menu but after one or two, the game seems fine. I am going to play more this weekend and see what happens. I tested on a Phoenix Gen 2, stock CV and a Ruggers RGB modded CV. The original cartridge would not even load on the RGB machine. However the ROM on an an AtariMax was fine with noted crash back to menu during first round. I have not seen any graphical corruption that does not crash back to the menu. If that happens at all, it is back to the title screen. Will report back...

• Thanks 1

I just got the new replacement cart from Milli for Turmoil 2021 and I can confirm I did not see any graphical corruption issues anymore.

I however do get my Phoenix to hard lock after a few levels.  I assume the Phoenix needs a new firmware for us to download to support this game.

I have a few real Colecovisions but have not had a chance to try them as they are now in storage, i am going to try to get one of them out tomorrow to test them on this and see if I am getting a locked frozen screen.

If anyone else got a replacement cart in and has a phoniex please let me know what you are seeing.

Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, imstarryeyed said:

I just got the new replacement cart from Milli for Turmoil 2021 and I can confirm I did not see any graphical corruption issues anymore.

I however do get my Phoenix to hard lock after a few levels.  I assume the Phoenix needs a new firmware for us to download to support this game.

I have a few real Colecovisions but have not had a chance to try them as they are now in storage, i am going to try to get one of them out tomorrow to test them on this and see if I am getting a locked frozen screen.

If anyone else got a replacement cart in and has a phoniex please let me know what you are seeing.

Thank you!

I haven't had time to try mine. Guess I had better get on it. Did you have to pay shipping for the replacement?

39 minutes ago, Milli Vee said:

The screen corruption that can show up occasionally when changing levels was not discovered until recently so this isn't something that can be fixed in existing cartridges unfortunately. Since this issue is a code* / timing issue there is no solution but to reset the game. Because of this I will be giving existing Turmoil owners a discount on a future purchase as compensation and they should be getting an email about this soon. Games that glitch out or don't work that are due to the pcb not seating we are replacing free of charge by sending a new cartridge and a return label for the old one if they contact me at sales@8bitmilligames.com.

Milli

* As an FYI the reason for the bug is that the changing the wall color when changing levels is done outside of the NMI loop and as such could possibly get interrupted when the NMI routine does its things causing random data to be sent to the VDP. Most of the time this random data is harmless and only causes a minor glitch but there is always the chance that it causes the game to reset. Our other games, CCR, Anna Lee and one to be released soon use a different method when handling NMI's and as such do not have this issue.

I there a bug free version of the ROM you can send to customers, like you did the Crazy Climber ROM?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Milli Vee said:

The screen corruption that can show up occasionally when changing levels was not discovered until recently so this isn't something that can be fixed in existing cartridges unfortunately. Since this issue is a code* / timing issue there is no solution but to reset the game. Because of this I will be giving existing Turmoil owners a discount on a future purchase as compensation and they should be getting an email about this soon. Games that glitch out or don't work that are due to the pcb not seating we are replacing free of charge by sending a new cartridge and a return label for the old one if they contact me at sales@8bitmilligames.com.

Milli

* As an FYI the reason for the bug is that the changing the wall color when changing levels is done outside of the NMI loop and as such could possibly get interrupted when the NMI routine does its things causing random data to be sent to the VDP. Most of the time this random data is harmless and only causes a minor glitch but there is always the chance that it causes the game to reset. Our other games, CCR, Anna Lee and one to be released soon use a different method when handling NMI's and as such do not have this issue.

Thanks for making this right. Email is sent.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Milli Vee said:

To access the free ROM download or the cartridge exchange please send an email to exhange@8bitmilligames.com with the name on the original order of Turmoil 2022 and the date ordered so that we can update our records.

I'm guessing that email address should read "exchange@8bitmilligames.com"?