IGNORED

Atari VCS (retail deals/discount thread)

Mockduck

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, rayik said:

They are just not selling.  The Dallas MC has had 7 for months.  (Increased to 8 lately).  Same with controllers.  Not selling.

Kind of surprised that hasn't been any mild marketing of this, but again that takes money. Best thing Atari could do is try and time the release of Food Fight and/or Asteroids right before the holiday (Asteroids I know is 14 December), do a mild internet marketing campaign on the usual blogs and places, maybe try to possibly advertise it a couple places, and see if people bite around the holidays. Probably wouldn't hurt to take another $20-30 off either as a promotional rate.

I don't know if they really can mark it down any further. Not saying this as a quality statement or anything, but I suspect they're probably operating as a razor-thin margin as it is, and even a $20-$30 discount means taking a loss. I guess retailers might be willing to take a loss to remove stock, as certainly they paid wholesale or some lesser price to get it direct from the company. That would indicate no new retailer orders though, and wouldn't bode well for the console.

That's probably compounded even further with supply shortages and increasing prices for everything.

• Like 1

According to the Microcenter web-site link you gave, the price is back to $399.99.
I'd guess the $30 off would be a Black Friday deal.

image.thumb.png.5eacc3fdf8c8a9be7536df5f46599972.png

Unrelated, but I found it interesting...
one local video-games store (CEX) had 4x Sony PS5 consoles in the window, the other day.
(They were all 2nd-hand, but all A1 condition, with the chain's excellent 2 year guarantee.)

A week later, they had only 2x left. Most of the chains get regular stock too, these days.

4 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

I have to admit that I never thought I’d buy one, but I couldn’t pass up the current mark down in pricing by Micro Center. 

4E2D124C-99CD-4597-BD17-83BA73151251.jpeg

I am admittedly biased, I have a VCS and enjoy it thoroughly, but $249.99 s an absolute steal for this system, in my opinion. At that price point it's kind of unrivaled as a retro emulation box, as you're then basically competing against Flashback systems, a Raspberry Pi, or a used console. For a new device that's an awesome deal. Debating getting one for my Atari-loving father as a Christmas gift now.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Atarick said:

Debating getting one for my Atari-loving father as a Christmas gift now.

Son? Is that you?? ?

Seriously though...this is very tempting. There's 5 in stock at the store closest to me which is about an hour's drive away. My Christmas budget is already strained though and this would absolutely kill it so...I probably won't.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, jstrotha0975 said:

Would be nice if they mark down just the console to $150, I already have the joystick and I can use a ps4 controller. Too bad there's no Micro Centers near me and they don't deliver.

Micro Center doesn't sell the console a la carte, just the bundle with the console, joystick and gamepad. They do sell the joystick and gamepad a la carte. You could always sell your joystick and then pick up the full bundle. Then it would be like picking up the bundle for $200, assuming you find a taker on the joystick for around $50. 

• Like 1

This is (or was in my area, sold out now) a great deal. Funny that Microcenter did not leave it as a Black Friday special to get people in the stores that day...but maybe the pandemic is still playing a role and they didn't want to get a crowd....although that will probably happen anyway at least from past experience at my local location during Black Friday's of the past.

I was lucky and purchased one of the last ones today and as I play with this I am thoroughly impressed. Cool fun games, great controls and intuitive interface. Easy peasy to use. And I was able to use an Atari ST avatar!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, eightbit said:

This is (or was in my area, sold out now) a great deal. Funny that Microcenter did not leave it as a Black Friday special to get people in the stores that day...

Glad you were able to snag one! Looks like the vast majority of Micro Centers still have the VCS in stock, as only four stores (out of 25) are sold out, so it will still be available on Black Friday at most stores. I'm considering picking one up, just not sure if it would get much use. My local store has only moved three units since the $150 off sale began and nine remain. Decisions, decisions...

@Matt_B 84% of Micro Centers still have stock, with some stores in double digits on number of available units, so I wouldn't sound the scarcity alarm just yet. Another $50 bucks and I could see them flying off the shelves. Still a very niche market, but would move quickly to be sure. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sixersfan105 said:

Glad you were able to snag one! Looks like the vast majority of Micro Centers still have the VCS in stock, as only four stores (out of 25) are sold out, so it will still be available on Black Friday at most stores. I'm considering picking one up, just not sure if it would get much use. My local store has only moved three units since the $150 off sale began and nine remain. Decisions, decisions...

Go ahead and do it. It's actually really nice for the $250 price tag. It comes with two controllers and even a free game. It's got a lot of play value (I've been playing it all night and I am pretty impressed!) and its also a pretty darn good PC to have as a spare at a really good price. And, the feeling of walking out of a store in 2021 with an actual Atari console was really fantastic. That nice big blue Atari logo!

• Like 2