IGNORED

Blast from the past - Arcturus

dhe

Nice bit of background data exchange on how GROM bases work too. It is unfortunate that the actual (original) Arcturus cartridges are so hard to find. I like the cartridge shells they used--and those cases could be used with somewhat different circuit cards as regular cartridge slot cases as well, so they were nicely multifunctional. I may have to open mine one of these days and see if I can make a mold set for the cases. . .and the Killer Caterpillar cartridges in the same shells are even harder to find.

• Like 1

I always wondered how people copied them out... I usually used JP Hoddies CSAVE on a TI with a PBOX connected to the side... Yea.. that side, that now has a module plugged in to it! ?

Also, during the development of PC99, 2049er was one of those cartridges that challenged the emulator.  It was doing weird things with Sprites. Mark Van Coppenolle - spent a lot of time trying to figure out what it was doing, but in the end I think he called it a day and just changed a few bytes in the dump to make it work 100%. Not to different then the patching Mike Maksimik did to a lot of carts to make them run on the Geneve.

21 hours ago, dhe said:

I always wondered how people copied them out... I usually used JP Hoddies CSAVE on a TI with a PBOX connected to the side... Yea.. that side, that now has a module plugged in to it! ?

Also, during the development of PC99, 2049er was one of those cartridges that challenged the emulator.  It was doing weird things with Sprites. Mark Van Coppenolle - spent a lot of time trying to figure out what it was doing, but in the end I think he called it a day and just changed a few bytes in the dump to make it work 100%. Not to different then the patching Mike Maksimik did to a lot of carts to make them run on the Geneve.

I dug into 2049er a fair bit when the F18A was being developed, and found there's a bug in the collision detection code. Not sure what the challenge in PC99 was, but we were trying to figure out why sprite collisions didn't occur. It turns out the game logic uses the sprite collision bit to determine whether to run the collision code. So, when the bit shows a collision, then it runs through all the objects to see what collided.

The problem is, instead of sprite collision >20, the code checks >02, which is the "5th sprite" counter. When there are not five sprites on a line, these bits act as a counter and change continuously... so basically, at random points the code finds bit >02 set and checks for collisions between objects, and the game works. But if this counting isn't implemented, then no collisions ever happen.

That's the only oddity in there I'm aware of though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/21/2021 at 1:41 PM, dhe said:

Someone (name withheld) in the Lubbock TI users group bought Miner 2049'er, and dumped it with Mini Memory, BASIC support routines like PEEK, and the cassette port. He was in the introduction to assembly language class I taught (overconfident 14 yr old me) and, went on to write tools in assembly, but I haven't heard of them since. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On 11/23/2021 at 9:35 PM, FarmerPotato said:

Someone (name withheld) in the Lubbock TI users group bought Miner 2049'er, and dumped it with Mini Memory, BASIC support routines like PEEK, and the cassette port. He was in the introduction to assembly language class I taught (overconfident 14 yr old me) and, went on to write tools in assembly, but I haven't heard of them since. 

I too attended one of your classes, but was pulled out when I got orders to go to Iceland..dang it was awesome for the little time I had. 

• Like 2