IGNORED

Help a bro out (not me!) - get his game viral - Barnstorming (port) by glurk for A8

BIGHMW

@glurk has a good thing going here, but now he needs our support :) 

I think that both this WIP and his programming skills show a lot of promise, help get his game out there, it was his first ever attempt at programming (and from scratch at that!) a version of a 2600 classic for the A8 and I though he did a rather fine job, so help encourage him by downloading and playing it and see for yourselves what a fine port it truly is.

Remember when Lennart Bown (@Thelen) did "Yar's Strike" in 2009, back then he had no idea about 8-bit porting and was merely doing his best (and also from scratch!) to replicate the Howard Scott Warshaw 2600 classic "Yars' Revenge" for A8, all for an AtariAge minigame comp back then that limited contest entries to 4K or less, and how we turned it into a cult hit for A8 and even had Paul Lay (@playsoft) convert it over to the 5200 nearly 11 years later and expand that game's popularity to a newer audience??? WE CAN DO THIS!!! Today - A8, tomorrow - (perhaps) a 5200 conversion, after that, who knows!!! We can help out, I'm in!!!

Barnstorming.rom

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, glurk said:

PLEASE NOTE!!  It's not quite finished yet!!  Almost, but still a little ways to go!  Yikes!

OOPS! I forgot to tell everyone that but I did want to kickstart your program to a bigger audience, I just wished Cindy Margolis (or some major label exec or iHeartRadio) would've done the same for my 28-year music and entertainment career, but I wanted to do this for you to help encourage you to finish her and also give you that extra morale boost!!! :) 

LOL.  You kicked my butt into gear, in a way.  I just churned out some code (just now) to get all the geese in there, and to my surprise, it worked right the first time.  So I have a new one "release candidate 1" and it seems to be pretty solid!  Probably will need some fine-tuning, but I'm releasing it now.  I think it's OK!

Barnstorming (Port) RC1.car

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

No geese, or various barn clearances yet, but I do love the 4 difficulty levels, keep it going, I love the progress and hopefully this thread will explode!!!

They are in there.  Use the OPTION key.  The bottom-right grey (easy) and red (hard) arrows represent high/low barn clearance, and same for the geese spawning rate.  Just like the 2600, they each have only two settings.  The game itself is pretty much Steve Cartwright's original code!!

• Like 1

Another option you could consider is if you successfully completed a level in a certain time limit, you progress to the next level, with a score and bonus points for each barn/weathervane cleared along the way, the game ends either when you finish all 4 levels or run out of time, that would be a kicker to consider.

3 minutes ago, glurk said:

They are in there.  Use the OPTION key.  The bottom-right grey (easy) and red (hard) arrows represent high/low barn clearance, and same for the geese spawning rate.  Just like the 2600, they each have only two settings.  The game itself is pretty much Steve Cartwright's original code!!

Got it.

FINAL RELEASE

I'm calling this one done.  Unless anyone finds some bug, but I've tested the heck out of it.  It's targeted to an (NTSC) Atari 400 with 8K, so should run on ANY Atari 8-bit.  I don't know about PAL machines, but I think it would take a lot of changes to make that work 100%

My aim here was to create (what I believe) that Activision would have released BITD if they had done an 8-bit version.  So it's basically a direct port with some graphics enhancements.  I started this one back in April, but there were months(!) I didn't work on it at all.  It honestly didn't take as long as I expected, I made a good choice on this one.  Many other 2600 games would have been much more difficult.  This one had the display kernel and the main game loop pretty much separate.  It's 90% (at least) Steve Cartwright's original code, so even the timing should match.  So try to beat 33.3 seconds on level 1.  ?

Barnstorming (Port) FINAL.car

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6

I should have mentioned that.  SELECT to choose level 1-4, OPTION to change barn clearance / goose rate (bottom right), START to start.

You have to push the trigger button to launch.  Hold down for throttle, let off to slow down.  It only uses UP/DOWN beyond that.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, glurk said:

I should have mentioned that.  SELECT to choose level 1-4, OPTION to change barn clearance / goose rate (bottom right), START to start.

You have to push the trigger button to launch.  Hold down for throttle, let off to slow down.  It only uses UP/DOWN beyond that.

@glurk  Got it.. Just had a quick run during my lunch break. Good port, well done. Like the bouncing geese. :D

5 hours ago, glurk said:

I'm calling this one done.  Unless anyone finds some bug, but I've tested the heck out of it.  It's targeted to an (NTSC) Atari 400 with 8K, so should run on ANY Atari 8-bit.  I don't know about PAL machines, but I think it would take a lot of changes to make that work 100%

8 minutes ago, Yautja said:

Our small contribution to the cause: https://bit.ly/3oNDdck

PAL colors could use some help. Not hard to implement...

Now I know why I wasn't getting any geese, because i was going too slow, as I accelerated (something I didn't know you could do prior to this final version when I was told I could do it) I started to get those flocks of geese, but yes I just tried her out and she plays great.