IGNORED

Help a bro out (not me!) - get his game viral - Barnstorming (port) by glurk for A8

BIGHMW

A would-be 5200 conversion would utilize the * key for the barn clearance, the # key for the amount of geese spawn, and the "0" key to select level, the bottom fire button would be the throttle while the stick moves up or down. Paul Lay (a.k.a. @playsoft) can do the conversion while @glurk would retain full rights. I know I have both an XEGS and a 5200 but Big Sexy enthusiasts would dig this game as much as I do. @glurk would you be OK with a conversion of this???

If Paul Lay wants to do a conversion, I'd be happy to give him the source code.  With the warning that the code is a huge mess, and I'd rather not publicly release it.  I never cleaned up the code, and lots of stuff is poorly commented, etc.   Otherwise, I'm totally fine with it!

1 hour ago, glurk said:

If Paul Lay wants to do a conversion, I'd be happy to give him the source code.  With the warning that the code is a huge mess, and I'd rather not publicly release it.  I never cleaned up the code, and lots of stuff is poorly commented, etc.   Otherwise, I'm totally fine with it!

Don't worry about that, Paul can do it, but, since you are the developer I think you yourself should PM him about it, he could be reached here on AA as @playsoft, he's done TONS of A8-to-5200 conversions in the past and is quite damn good at that, highly recommended!!! Ask Lennart Bown (@Thelen), he did his terrific "Yar's Strike" port for us 5200 owners last year, and even brought us a port of Asteroids that works far better than that dismal 1982 prototype that we 5200 owners had to settle for for nearly 40 years, if anyone can do it, Paul can do it!!! :) 

So, I did a PAL version with better color matching.  I kind of had to do it as a separate version, because some colors are set  within a time-constrained DLI routine.  It's really only a few bytes changed:

Barnstorming (Port) FINAL [PAL].car

As far as a 5200 conversion, if Paul Lay WANTS to do it, someone else can contact him.  I'm uncomfortable with asking anyone to take of their own time do anything like that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, glurk said:

I kind of had to do it as a separate version, because some colors are set  within a time-constrained DLI routine. 

This might be a stupid idea but as well worth a try. 

Find a RAM location which you use only during the VBI and which needs not to be preserved between VBIs. 

Then add one more DLI somewhere above the color changing one. There you can check the video norm and write the correct color code to the RAM location. 

Ohh how cool. This is a nice port. Glad you stuck with only minimal graphic improvements like barn detail with real windows you can see through. And not a complete remake with jets and bridges and weather balloons. Just enough to add 8-bit flavor. Well done!

Who would'a thought back in 1980 we'd be seeing new games and ports 40 years later?!?

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 4

It’s in the true spirit of Activision to be really lazy on graphics improvements between VCS and A8 versions for sure. It’s what baffled me BITD. Same with the few Imagic titles that made it across, in fact IMHO the VCS versions of Demon Attack and especially Atlantis are better on the VCS.

On the other hand, graphics aren’t essential to make a good game.

What I was trying to say: well done for staying in this mode of only slight improvements.

Will download this and give it a try and see what it looks running on my PAL 600XL with switchable ANTIC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's odd. Back in the day we (I) wanted super mega graphics improvements and could potentially be disappointed if the port was identical. I wanted StarBlazer from Br0derbund on the Apple II to be much improved on the Atari 400/800, it was near identical.

Today I prefer ports between machines of the same era to be as similar as possible.

8 hours ago, Keatah said:

It's odd. Back in the day we (I) wanted super mega graphics improvements and could potentially be disappointed if the port was identical. I wanted StarBlazer from Br0derbund on the Apple II to be much improved on the Atari 400/800, it was near identical.

Today I prefer ports between machines of the same era to be as similar as possible.

I prefer them to be the absolute best they can be... but always like having the original look and feel as an easter egg/throw back version just because...

Edited by _The Doctor__

6 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I prefer them to be the absolute best they can be... but always like having the original look and feel as an easter egg/throw back version just because...

What I would like to see more of is original games being expanded. Same sounds. Same graphics. But new levels. But only after the originals are complete. Like StarBlazer (SkyBlazer) from Br0derbund. There's 5 levels in original. Perhaps additional levels could be added somehow, like a raid over battleships and carriers, maybe a hidden space scene or time-warp scene. Just more levels.

It all be like Miniature Golf, the original holes.. But then AA had a contest decades ago that sported some 50 new levels. Or like Doom wads. Boulderdash on the Apple II and Atari 800 - best renditions of the game I'd venture to guess. Yes.. And if any game needs more levels it's Marble Madness.

UPDATE:  There were a couple little issues I just couldn't deal with.  A minor timing improvement to the goose spawning, and a MUCH better PAL color matching.  I wanted to do auto-detect, but it was just WAY too much work.  So here's the FINAL FINAL versions of each.  The PAL colors are much better, I think.  I can only test them in Altirra, since I own no real PAL hardware.

Sorry about another release again, but I'm a perfectionist.  These are the ones you want:

Barnstorming (Port) [NTSC+].car

Barnstorming (Port) [PAL+].car

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, glurk said:

UPDATE:  There were a couple little issues I just couldn't deal with.  A minor timing improvement to the goose spawning, and a MUCH better PAL color matching.  I wanted to do auto-detect, but it was just WAY too much work.  So here's the FINAL FINAL versions of each.  The PAL colors are much better, I think.  I can only test them in Altirra, since I own no real PAL hardware.

Sorry about another release again, but I'm a perfectionist.  These are the ones you want:

Barnstorming (Port) [NTSC+].car 8.02 kB · 13 downloads

Barnstorming (Port) [PAL+].car 8.02 kB · 5 downloads

I hope you informed @playsoft about these new updated versions, I'm sure you saw the PM I sent both him and you on the possibility of a 5200 conversion so that's why his name is being tagged on this post as to let him know about this most recent development in the program, I hope he reads this post in time!!!

On 11/22/2021 at 11:31 PM, BIGHMW said:

A would-be 5200 conversion would utilize the * key for the barn clearance, the # key for the amount of geese spawn, and the "0" key to select level, the bottom fire button would be the throttle while the stick moves up or down. Paul Lay (a.k.a. @playsoft) can do the conversion while @glurk would retain full rights. I know I have both an XEGS and a 5200 but Big Sexy enthusiasts would dig this game as much as I do. @glurk would you be OK with a conversion of this???

@BIGHMW I have moved on from the 5200, so it's not for me. I would appreciate it if you would stop mentioning me whenever you ask for a 5200 port since it puts me in an awkward position.

@glurk if you are interested in doing a 5200 port there is @ClausB's guide from ANALOG Computing, Transporting Atari Computer Programs to the 5200. Also @phaeron's Altirra Hardware Reference Manual. If it is something you decide to go ahead with and have any questions please feel free to PM me.

• Like 5

Thanks Paul.  I wasn't even going to ask you.  I've never owned a 5200 and don't even especially like them.  :)

I looked at the conversion reference, and I won't be doing one.  In fact, I've already started work on something new.  But if another programmer actually wants to convert this, I don't think it would be an enormous effort.  So if someone is serious about taking that on, I'll make my source code available to them.

For now, I'm going to be using the knowledge I've gained from this one to (maybe) work on another new game!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, glurk said:

Thanks Paul.  I wasn't even going to ask you.  I've never owned a 5200 and don't even especially like them.  :)

I looked at the conversion reference, and I won't be doing one.  In fact, I've already started work on something new.  But if another programmer actually wants to convert this, I don't think it would be an enormous effort.  So if someone is serious about taking that on, I'll make my source code available to them.

For now, I'm going to be using the knowledge I've gained from this one to (maybe) work on another new game!

Well, I did end up giving it a quick go and it did convert easily.

The only issue I had was a start up race condition. A routine at $AB47 is called which enables the VBI. Then a routine at $A701 is called which sets the vertical position of the plane. Should the VBI get in before the $A701 routine you end up with an extra image of the plane at the top of the screen. I got around this by syncing to the top of the screen before passing control to your code.

It seems to play correctly, I used * & # for select and option.

barn5200.bin

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, playsoft said:

Well, I did end up giving it a quick go and it did convert easily.

The only issue I had was a start up race condition. A routine at $AB47 is called which enables the VBI. Then a routine at $A701 is called which sets the vertical position of the plane. Should the VBI get in before the $A701 routine you end up with an extra image of the plane at the top of the screen. I got around this by syncing to the top of the screen before passing control to your code.

It seems to play correctly, I used * & # for select and option.

barn5200.bin 16 kB · 4 downloads

Thanks Paul!!! Another one off the 5200 bucket list, I already have the 8-bit port and I'll try this one out and see what happens.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, playsoft said:

@BIGHMW I have moved on from the 5200, so it's not for me. I would appreciate it if you would stop mentioning me whenever you ask for a 5200 port since it puts me in an awkward position.

@glurk if you are interested in doing a 5200 port there is @ClausB's guide from ANALOG Computing, Transporting Atari Computer Programs to the 5200. Also @phaeron's Altirra Hardware Reference Manual. If it is something you decide to go ahead with and have any questions please feel free to PM me.

Hey thanks for yet another request well done!

Paul, the reason why I mention you is because I have a high deal of respect and admiration for the work you have done for us Big Sexy owners for these past years, both in regards to the A8-to-5200 conversions as well as your own original works. I happen to think you're one of if not THE best at it, and rank with @classics and @Wrathchild when it comes to all of the 8-bit-to-5200 conversions you 3 have done all these years.

BTW, as you already know, even though I wish that someone would've discovered all the talent I have in the entertainment business in the past 27 years in it, without even being looked at let alone signed, I also, have developed a knack for seeing the inner talents in other individuals as well, I even critique the way guys like Joe and Scott over at my work at Safeway cut their promos for some of the special offers we have weekly, like our "Cheep Cheep Chicken Monday" - in which consists of 8-pieces of fried or grilled dark meat chicken for $4.99, or our nightly "China Express Special" - 1 entree and 1 side along with an egg roll or potstickers, in which also goes on for sale for $4.99 over at our deli.

That same talent factor also applies to the programming genre as well, even though I know jack-shit about programming myself, at least at hand, it seems like I have found a way to know and see potential in you fellow programmers whenever I try out your great ports and @glurk shows a great deal of promise with this port of Barnstorming in which Paul Lay just converted to the 5200 and hopefully they will also eat it up like you guys are doing right now for the A8. After all, this port was done FROM SCRATCH, and had to be totally written up, not copied-and-pasted over from another source, and I think he did a fantastic job in his initial voyage of 2600-to-A8 conversions, this one ranks right up there if not better than Steve Cartwright's original 2600 port, especially the see-through effect when your biplane goes in the barn, THAT, was a nice touch, this and he showed a lot of promise, so 2 THUMBS UP and a big hand for @glurk for this great port and also to @playsoft for one again being gracious enough to give 5200 owners a version of their/our own as well!!! BIG HAND!!!

Edited by BIGHMW
spelling error

3 hours ago, glurk said:

Here's a funny accident that just happened because of the color translation.  Play the PAL version on NTSC and you get sundown/dusk Barnstorming:

duskbarn.jpg.8fd3b5ecbbc61406a3aedb268a63c6c9.jpg

ABSOLUTELY unintended, but I think it looks kind of nice!  :)

You know I never thought about that!!! I'll load this one up to my XEGS as well and dub it the "Sunset Dub", pretty much video games' answer to the remix of a song in the music industry ("dub" is a term for a remix of a song, that term is pretty much used in British electronic or industrial music like three of my favorite artists of that genre like Fortran 5, or Nitzer Ebb or even Fluke did back in the 90s)

Thanks Glurk and poor Paul for a somewhat foisted upon port (BIGMW, please ask folk first, it's the done thing :) )

Not had a play as yet (busy here, just sorted out a rather expensive car repair and the in laws are a war on themselves) but it looks really nice, never had that machine back in the day so it's all new to me ;)

Thanks guys..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Thanks Glurk and poor Paul for a somewhat foisted upon port (BIGMW, please ask folk first, it's the done thing :) )

Not had a play as yet (busy here, just sorted out a rather expensive car repair and the in laws are a war on themselves) but it looks really nice, never had that machine back in the day so it's all new to me ;)

Thanks guys..

Yeah, you and I (and to quote your title) are both mature gamers, it's just that every time I see a great port I think/feel 5200 owners would get a kick out of, I felt that since Paul Lay is one of the best at converting A8 ports to the 5200, and, since he has done numerous ports for all of us by request over the years that he would get this one done too, plus, the A8 developers earn a new fanbase of 5200 owners that will eventually also download those same 8-bit versions as many of them/us own both a 5200 and an 8-bit unit (myself an XEGS), and because Paul IS one of the best at it that I refer everyone to him, as he is a great programmer with not only his A8-to-5200 conversions but also with his original works as well, like Biscuits In Hell, and others he has done throughout the years.

I know I put guys on the spot a little too much but that's partly because of my enthusiasm and also that they're that damn good at what they do, I myself, wish I could've developed those same skills to be able to do BOTH A8-to-5200 AND 5200-to-8-bit conversions as I feel the 8-bit community should also be able to play all the 5200 ports on THEIR systems as much as Big Sexy owners do most of the 8-bit titles. I would love to start learning a bit about doing conversions of both starting in the new year so i don't have to rely on you guys even though you are the best and most open about doing them. If @glurk can do some mojo like what he has done with this terrific port, then maybe I can do it too, even at 55, and even with my developmental and psychiatric drawbacks, in which I have had lifelong. Hell, if I can cut a new CD, in which will be my first new album in 18 years ("Still Ruthless" my second album as rapper AK47, my 4th album overall in you include my days from 1994-2003 as The Heavy Metal Warrior with my old hardcore/thrash group, S.M.F.), then I can do this!!! ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!

Hey Ray, I love the enthusiasm and drive, 100% good on you for it, but just give a thought to the poor folks who are probably doing 100 and 1 things in their work and normal life. Good luck with the album and well done on defying the illness. You would probably be stunned by how many people have that 'hidden illness' and struggle with it.

Paul..

• Like 1