IGNORED

Help a bro out (not me!) - get his game viral - Barnstorming (port) by glurk for A8

BIGHMW

15 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

Nope

Looks pretty cool so far, though.

I like that World Class Leader Board Golf that you were working on. Leader Board is a good golf game on the A8, but the island hopping (challenging as it is) isn't so interesting as playing with trees, bunkers, ponds, and fairway/rough terrain.

• 2 weeks later...

From the bottom of my heart: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS PORT!

Already from the moment I have an Atari 2600 AND an Atari 800XL (from the time I was a child) I found it extremely hard to chose between my 2600 and my 800XL. I loved the systems equally much, but I always had only space for one system. When I attached the 2600 I missed the 800XL, and when I attached the 800XL I missed the games and fun of the 2600.

On the 2600 I have a few titles that are so amazing, that it is still worth to be connected from time to time. Barnstorming is one of those titles. The game concept is really simple (just as with many other 2600 games) but the game is so addictive. In the past other people already ported Midnight Magic, Seaquest and Stampede. It's so fabulous to have these 2600 titles on the Atari XL/XE. 

So honestly, you have really made my atari life better (and it was already so good). Thank you!

And if you might need inspiration for more ports?
I really love: Klax, Private Eye and Enduro. 

Especially Private Eye and Klax are both games that make me connect the 2600 from time to time. Really fun stuff. And although The Great American Cross Country Road Race is a much improved version of Enduro, I still love the more simple concept of Enduro. 

So if you need inspiration, and you do have time... haha. 

But now, it is time to enjoy Barnstorming. Very cool.

• Like 2

Marius-

Too kind, thanks.  FWIW I am working on another port, a more popular title which shall remain un-named for now.  It's not one you listed...  But just for discussion's sake...

Klax - I'm unfamiliar with this one.  Looked it up and saw that there have been some attempts, but the number of simultaneous colors on screen seem to be the challenge with this one.

Private Eye - Also unfamiliar, read that it requires memorizing or knowing a large map to play.  Probably do-able from a technical standpoint, though.

Enduro - OMG.  Is this even possible to port, I dunno?  I think it would require making the 2600 kernel work on the 8-bit.  Precise timing, writing directly to the graphics registers, etc.  Looks to be WAY above my current skill-set.  Super interesting from a programming view, though.  I bet that phaeron could do it, if he were ever inclined to.

Anyhoo, back to the coal mines, I am working on another one, which hopefully should see the light of day, probably in 2022.  Maybe. 

• Like 5