IGNORED

Games of Oscar Toledo

classicgamer74

Nice video!  Oscar deserves the spotlight shined on him. I'd never be living out my dream of making games without his books and the support of this community.

I like his comment about getting an inspiration for a game and then furiously working on it.  I have a 'list' of games I want to make and it is already huge and I will never get to them so it was funny to hear him say that.

My current game, a port of the 1980 SNK game 'Sasuke Vs Commander' went down just like this.  I had been working on a couple of other games and was stuck. I then started working on an original title but my lofty ambitions and lack of knowledge of how to work within the IntyBasic framework really grinded my progress to a halt.  Finally, I figured I needed to keep it simple and learn one coding trick at a time. I started with a basic fixed shoot'em up. And Sasuke became it.  I took the code from Pumpkin Master and dissected it, learning how to create waves of enemies that all could act independent.  Once I figured out how it worked the rest just came along nicely and I have been cranking along ever since.  I'm almost done now.

My homebrew dream is to complete my original title called 'Marathon Quest'. It is based on real life events....haha.  I just completed my very first full marathon this year at the lovely age of 51.  The goal of the game is to, of course, complete a marathon. There will be lots of silly video game elements thrown in to try to keep you from your goal. There will also be some light "sim elements' you need to manage as well. I don't want to waste the 'Chariots of Fire' music theme that @carlsson  nicely donated to me. It is a side scrolling game, of course :)

I also want to make lots more port of obscure coin-ops of the 1970's and 1980's with a few Atari 2600/Intellivision remakes or 'inpired by' titles thrown into the mix.  I really want to make a remake of a really obscure Taito arcade game called "The Pit"

Edited by Mik's Arcade
  • Like 3

On 11/21/2021 at 1:04 AM, classicgamer74 said:

If you could make a homebrew of any game for the Intellivision, what would it be?  Have a great Thanksgiving!

I've got a list of games I want to develop.  Although I'm actively working on a couple right now, there are a few in the pipeline to be next.  Among them are: a Samegame & Robots sequel, another 4-player party game, another 2-in-1 title but with Chessboards as the theme, and an implementation of Sokoban.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Zendocon said:

I've got a list of games I want to develop.  Although I'm actively working on a couple right now, there are a few in the pipeline to be next.  Among them are: a Samegame & Robots sequel, another 4-player party game, another 2-in-1 title but with Chessboards as the theme, and an implementation of Sokoban.

A Sokoban type game would be a nice addition to the Intellivision catalog.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One reason I like to share homebrew games with my audience is because I didn't get a lot of help with sharing my own work from my family. I understand how people can sometimes not want to help you with your creative projects, so I like to be able to do it for others. my family never have purchased any of my books and I doubt they even pretend to watch my videos. If no one in my family wants to help me get the word out about my stuff, I'll gladly do it for others. I've been blessed to meet some really cool and talented programmers since I started my channel and I I will continue to help get the word out about homebrews and their programmers. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, classicgamer74 said:

One reason I like to share homebrew games with my audience is because I didn't get a lot of help with sharing my own work from my family. I understand how people can sometimes not want to help you with your creative projects, so I like to be able to do it for others. my family never have purchased any of my books and I doubt they even pretend to watch my videos. If no one in my family wants to help me get the word out about my stuff, I'll gladly do it for others. I've been blessed to meet some really cool and talented programmers since I started my channel and I I will continue to help get the word out about homebrews and their programmers. 

I definitely understand your frustration.  I'm so accustomed to disinterest in my games, that whenever somebody who I've known for a while suddenly expresses interest, I can rest assured s/he just wants something from me.

I'll refrain from airing dirty laundry about how I had always been little more than a wall decoration at family gatherings.  Thankfully, between a recent death in the family and certain people's fear of the Covid monster, there probably won't be too many more gatherings, to no regret of mine.

Bloodlines are all but meaningless.  Real family is in this forum as far as I'm concerned.

I couldn't have put it better myself.  I really haven't had much to do with my family since my parents passed in 2012.  This forum is my family, too.  You guys are all awesome.  

Do you think you'd like to do an interview and be the subject of an episode?  It would be a privilege for me. 

• Thanks 1

I never even expected that anyone of my relatives would share my interest in gaming. My older brother has a low intensity video games collecting interest, but I'd assume he gets to play video games of any kind perhaps 30 minutes per year, and even if I told him about new developments, he would not be able to give me any feedback, much less promote my work to others who are interested. Even among my physically closest retro gaming/collecting friends, only one or two spontaneously express any interest in any sorts of development. Not that it bothers me, since I know that online there will be plenty of people I only know by their screen name who are more interested in the software I might produce than about me as a person.

• Like 1