IGNORED

Any TI + CRT users here?

youxia

Yes, I know you're out there (plus hopefully some more), so it's a bit of a rhetorical question :)

What I was really wondering is if any of you could help out with my CRT photo collecting project? TI-99/4A is a really important microcomputer and I would love to include some original shots, but being in Europe I don't have access to a real TI... and since UK's Brexit it has become really difficult to obtain the more obscure hardware without paying hefty premiums. I can do it with MiSTer, but would prefer to have the real deal too.

All you'd need to do is take a few reasonably decent photos, even with just a phone camera, and then upload them somewhere. All CRTs are welcome, the older the better (more authentic).

Yes, I know you're out there (plus hopefully some more), so it's a bit of a rhetorical question [emoji4]

What I was really wondering is if any of you could help out with my CRT photo collecting project? TI-99/4A is a really important microcomputer and I would love to include some original shots, but being in Europe I don't have access to a real TI... and since UK's Brexit it has become really difficult to obtain the more obscure hardware without paying hefty premiums. I can do it with MiSTer, but would prefer to have the real deal too.

All you'd need to do is take a few reasonably decent photos, even with just a phone camera, and then upload them somewhere. All CRTs are welcome, the older the better (more authentic).

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/218727-ti-99-photos-thread-post-your-systems-here/

Lots of photos in this topic..

Also some great ones on mainbyte.com

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. These are good resources and I had pulled some nice stuff from them before but I am ultimately looking for a little bit more, especially regarding close ups. We now have cutting edge cameras even in our phones, and maybe there is some enthusiast-level photographer amongst TI massive too.

• Like 1

I use a 21 inch CRT  (European!) Thompson analog TV set with my TI - does this interest you and if so what are you looking for - the TI Test card with the full TV set in the picture or something else??

Here is my original TI set up with old analog black and white tv set...   

TI994Comp.jpg

• Like 3

I think that I actually showed both pictures already earlier elsewhere on this forum, but here a photo of both my setup in my youth (with small black and white CRT TV set) as my present setup (showing the recent Hunchback TI port on my Sony CRT next to the C64 Hunchback version).

9EA42BE3-7A9E-4386-8F13-C3943999FD9C.jpeg

FEE98A4B-7608-40C3-B29C-72861C8C2EBE.jpeg

Edited by xahmol
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, blackbox said:

I use a 21 inch CRT  (European!) Thompson analog TV set with my TI - does this interest you and if so what are you looking for - the TI Test card with the full TV set in the picture or something else??

As long as it has a  cathode ray tube, I'm interested ;) I guess your setup is PAL? That's fine too. As for content, anything goes really, test card would be great, plus maybe a few in-game shots, the startup screen and some text mode program too. I'm just aiming for a representative sample for each machine, and of course the more (and varied) shots the better, but that's up to whomever is taking them.

Most of my own photos from the last release are frame-filling with some monitor bezel visible (for reference, it can be very useful when adjusting emulators or FPGAs). So the scanlines / pixels are recognisable. Close ups for phosphor-level are most welcome too. I attach a couple examples.

Test pattern (C64C)(SVideo+Lumafix)(PAL)(Sony KV21FT1K)(!).jpg

King Of Chicago (Amiga 500)(RGB)(PAL)(Sony KV21FT1K)(!).jpg

Edited by youxia

Here we are- an unaltered TI99/4a - UK Europe - 625 line PAL feeding a Thomson 21 inch Blackpearl 21MG17UG.
The TI RF Modulator is the original metal case version.

If you haven't come across the UK RF output there are some points...
1. TI UK never did manage to make a UK standard RF modulator- they were based on the slightly different European PAL.  As a result owners had to reach a compromise- a sharp picture and fuzzy sound if any or good sound and a slightly bent picture. For close up of the TI opening screen I detuned the tv slightly to get straighter verticals. The sound at this point was rubbish...
2. On many UK tv sets the first (leftmost) column - and sometimes the leftmost two columns- were "off the screen" which made games that used column one a little difficult to play.
Here are the pics...

ti994a_00.thumb.jpg.cc7f75a09c417c211acf0a7a4ec0362d.jpg

ti994a_01.jpg

ti994a_02.jpg

ti994a_03.jpg

ti994a_04.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a lot gents! These photos are a good reference for size and perhaps colours.

Will anybody dare to tackle the Hard Mode though? ?Meaning more precise shots where we could see scanlines/pixels? I know it's not easy...but possible even with a smartphone cam. There are some tips on my site, mostly you need a steady hand (or tripod) and patience for tweaking the settings.

On 11/28/2021 at 9:47 PM, xahmol said:

You mean like this? Or even closer?

Yes, exactly...now we can see scanlines/pixels. Thank you! You can get closer still and capture individual phosphors, showing how aperture grille (in this case) works.

This thread's "always open" so please submit anything you feel like, anytime. I plan to release the next update somewhere early next year.

• 3 weeks later...