IGNORED

Atari 400 RAM on the 800?

scelbi8h

I guys, I just purchased an Atari 800. It works great (keyboard needs cleaning, but it's ok too), and it comes with the ROM board and one 16k board.

I have an extra Atari 400 16k board I purchased long ago. Are they compatible? If I add this one to the 800, I could have 32k until I look for some other option (thinking about the Incognito).

What do you think? I can't find any information about these boards and I want to ask before I plug this one.

@scelbi8h   I'm not sure but I don't think the 400 memory modules are always compatible with the 800. Might be wrong but I recall reading something here - have a look: http://www.atarimania.com/faq-atari-400-800-xl-xe-what-types-of-memory-upgrades-are-there-for-the-atari_68.html

Edit: Actually it might be possible - I think it depends on the combination. I've not got time now to read the above link fully but it does have a lot of useful info.

I would highly recommend the Incognito upgrade. I did it last month including the optional ATR swap mutton light emitter mod. Probably one of the more involved upgrades, especially given the armour you have to get through - and routing cables was fun. But totally worth it. Just follow FlashJazzCat's videos here and triple check everything. You don't wanna blow the Incognito! 

BTW where are you based?

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

@scelbi8h   I'm not sure but I don't think the 400 memory modules are always compatible with the 800. Might be wrong but I recall reading something here - have a look: http://www.atarimania.com/faq-atari-400-800-xl-xe-what-types-of-memory-upgrades-are-there-for-the-atari_68.html

Edit: Actually it might be possible - I think it depends on the combination. I've not got time now to read the above link fully but it does have a lot of useful info.

I would highly recommend the Incognito upgrade. I did it last month including the optional ATR swap mutton light emitter mod. Probably one of the more involved upgrades, especially given the armour you have to get through - and routing cables was fun. But totally worth it. Just follow FlashJazzCat's videos here and triple check everything. You don't wanna blow the Incognito! 

BTW where are you based?

I'm based in Spain. I'm for sure going to purchase and install an Incognito board soon :) I watched FlashJazzCat's videos... wow that will take a while! Right now I have an 800xl with the U1MB upgrade and SIDE2, so now I want something similar for my "new" 800 :)

I tried some minutes ago connecting an SDriveMax, but the screen on the device looks half-corrupted, and even after selecting some disk image it won't load anything (tried something simple like PacMan, but it's like if the computer didn't detect the device). I guess it has something to do with the low memory. Otherwise the computer works ok, with and without the BASIC cartridge.

Thanks for your response! I'm going to check your link, to see if I get something straight out of it. I just opened the 16k memory board, it was still factory sealed!

@scelbi8h  No worries - happy to help.

I'd definitely imagine that is the case with the Sdrive max as you rightly say.

The Incognito install probably took me 4-5 hrs but I'd made my own header cables and also I was triple checking everything. (The board comes with a header for the main signal connections but in random wire colours/order. And for the ATR swap button (optional) mod you have to make your own header cable assembly, buy the micro switch, LEDs, etc anyway. With the wire colours/order I basically wanted to make it easy on myself by making cables that had exactly the same coloured wires in the same order as in FJC's videos. Was worth the extra effort - although I hate crimping cables at the best of times.

In preperation a few days before I watched FJC two videos 3-4 times in advance of the upgrade and them had the videos available as I did the mod.

The main thing I forgot is that I am used to my Side3 with the extras like the PDM music player, the remember last file directory function, and also the ability to get back to the Side loader menu after viewing an XEX Rastaconverter file. The Incognito doesn't have these as based on the original Side loader. (I know there is a Jed you can flash to the Incognito board that gives you the return to side loader menu function, but I believe that Jed still has some issues to iron out.)

Plus Prince of Persia won't load from the Incognito Side loader unfortunately. Ce la vie.

Anyway once you accept the differences, having Incognito in the 800 is fantastic. I switch between my driver 800XL and the 800 all the time. 

Incidentally for your 800XL with the U1MB I highly recommend getting a Side3. Aside the extra features of Side3 and the fact it's intended to work well alongside the U1MB, (not that Side2 isn't of course), the other thing to bear in mind is FJC is also working on some exciting stuff around FATFMS for SIDE3. (See this video)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

Ok guys, that RAM is plugged and it works fine, the computer shows now 29710 bytes free when doing the "?FRE(0)". But still the SDriveMAX do weird things and it's not seen by the computer. Maybe it has something to do with the 800 booting faster than the 800xl. With the Fujinet plugged the computer is not doing anything either... But I don't really know how a Fujinet is supposed to be used with the 800, so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I will try to have it powered with the MicroUSB.

I'm gonna read calm your messages in a moment ;) 

2 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Incidentally for your 800XL with the U1MB I highly recommend getting a Side3. Aside the extra features of Side3 and the fact it's intended to work well alongside the U1MB, (not that Side2 isn't of course), the other thing to bear in mind is FJC is also working on some exciting stuff around FATFMS for SIDE3. (See this video)

I like very much what I read about the SIDE3. Sooner or later I'll probably get one too :) Right now I'm in awe with the Fujinet - I got it two days ago and it's really an amazing device!

Edited by scelbi8h

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

fujinet works best on an 800 with external power connected and an SD card inserted...

I just tried that. I get the computer to show the Fujinet boot screen, but once the line gets to the end, it will freeze with a green screen.

I'm not very confident with these old RAM boards anyway... But at least I know the SIO port is probably ok.

Edited by scelbi8h

just toss magna or similar 1 megabyte boards in them :) or and incognito and call it a day... or any of these

https://www.atarimagazines.com/v6n3/productreviews.html

https://www.atarimagazines.com/v7n7/AtariBrainTransplants.html

ramcharger mosaic intec and on, the worlds your oyster... not to mention 8 or more DIY homebrews

• Like 1