IGNORED

New Atari VCS 800 at Microcenter for $250

3 hours ago, holygrailvideogames.com said:

This seems like a good deal.  Microcenter has the Atari VCS 800 full bundle on sale for only $249.99.  Pick up only.  

https://www.microcenter.com/product/627563/atari-vcs-800-black-walnut-full-bundle

Now they've piqued my interest.  Thanks for the heads-up?

250 is cool and all, especially brand new. But this is on Mercari and comes with a wireless joystick. IDK if that's the usual purchase, but it's only 200 and looks like it's unopened. Not mine, just happened to be browsing mercari after I saw this post. Plus, the nearest microcenter to me is hundreds of miles away. 

https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m44879691355/?ref=search_results

36 minutes ago, Dopy25 said:

Oh sweet. I know nothing about the package. 2 joysticks is definitely better.

I'm not up to speed on the package either, but I'm tempted to get the 1 you posted, if someone else doesn't.   Unless I'm misunderstanding, I could buy the second controller for approx $60 and that makes it the same as the Microcenter bundle, and only 10 bucks more.    Which isn't bad since I don't have a Microcenter close to me either.

If I'm thinking wrong, hopefully someone here will point it out before I order.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, thanatos said:

So do the joysticks spin like a paddle from when first announced, or did they remove that feature?

They sure do.  They are not as smooth and precise as a set of CX-30 paddles with fresh pots mind you, but they are very serviceable and you get used to it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, I jumped on the bandwagon and picked up the last unit available at my local Microcenter here in NJ. Yesterday they had 10...today 1 left. I guess people know a good deal when they see it!

My initial impressions are mixed. I really do love the nice packaging and the look and quality feel of the console and controllers. There are even Atari logos molded into the USB charging cables! Its the little things like that (that they did not have to do) that impress me. 

It initially had an update and right after a BIOS update. And, after that, updates to both controllers. So, expect to be updating for 15-20 minutes before you can actually do anything.

When it was all up and running I tried the VCS Vault games. They look great and play great of course. Nice presentation.

Then I figured I would try the store and buy something. So, I picked up Desert Falcon....my old time favorite 7800 game. Launched it and it ran like garbage. Choppy and stuttering. Then it occurred to me that perhaps it was not optimized for 4K. I had set that resolution earlier. Changed it back to 1080p and it ran perfectly. 

The store looks nice but it is sparse. There's not a whole lot going on here but for what it is it looks like some neat titles on here that I would want to play.

So, is it worth it? For $399 hell no. There is no way I would drop four bills on this. And if I did I would probably not be very happy with myself. But at $250 it is worth it in my opinion. Some things really need fixing (like most apps not tied to controllers...you need a mouse and keyboard to use youtube for example) and the 4K thing with the game I downloaded. I am not sure if other games are affected in that way but to be safe I will probably leave this at 1080p.

The system has a lot of potential and even if it does not "take off" I can still see use in it as it is a capable $250 PC with upgrade paths (ram, m.2 slot)

Overall, not a bad purchase at all. I was even able to get my name (eightbit) when signing up which was great and select a nice Atari ST avatar ;) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, eightbit said:

So, is it worth it? For $399 hell no. There is no way I would drop four bills on this. And if I did I would probably not be very happy with myself. But at $250 it is worth it in my opinion.

Seconded. I needed a mini PC anyway so it was a no brainer. But this was probably my upper limit.

I have to say I’m a little disappointed in the joystick. It feels very soft and wiggly (almost like a Color Computer joystick) and I can’t seem to get the sensitivity right. Aquaventure, which I’m pretty decent at with a real controller or d pad, is a real tough nut to crack with this stick, and there are no calibration settings in the Vault that I can see.

I love the Recharged games so far. They could be better, and they certainly have a significant amount of jank to the visuals, but they play well. The game graphics seem a little blurry or aliased at Full HD on my TV, which normally looks sharp as a tack (and indeed the menus etc all do look sharp).

1 hour ago, youxia said:

And so the haters have been validated yet again ?

And so how do you figure?  And so why do you have to interject this into a thread about a Black Friday Sale?  And so why are you here again?

?

• Like 1