IGNORED

Confused on Composite Monitor Cabling for Atari 800

AtariSociety

Looking for some help.

I used this cable before with a Commodore 1702.  Worked great!

But, having a rough time getting this same cable to work with normal TVs.

One is a Sony and one is a 43" 4K TV.

The Sony has your normal video and audio ports on back.

The 43" TV has a special AV dongle that one side connects to the one port on TV while the others, as seen in attached photo, allows you to connect cables to it form your device.

No matter the combo on both TVs, I had video that just did not look right.

Used Pac Man as a test cart.  The bad nasties were rainbow colors at time and the text was quite red.

I tried all combo on what color cables to connect to what but I could never get real nice video.

If you can look at the attached ports, and can help, what ports on the back of the sony should I be connecting what color cables on my 4 lead cable for the Atari.

Same goes for the special AV cable.  Has just 3 splits.  What do I connect to what.

Any help would be great!

TJ

43%22 TV AV Cable.jpg

Sony TV Ports & Cable.jpg

Edited by AtariSociety

27 minutes ago, bob1200xl said:

Most cables of that sort plug the white cable into the yellow port 'Video In   1". If you use the RED cable, you will get a nice picture but the color is trash or non-existent.

Bob

BTW Bob, we still need to get together.

You remember me from years Ago when you lived over in Bay Area? Wife and I had lunch with you as after I picked up some ST goods.

We were going to get together at your new place but then covid hit and that did not happen.

Was going to reach out soon now that maybe things are settling down.

TJ

Your wire may be luma chroma audio, and one might even be composite... you either need to connect the composite line to video 1 yellow or combine Luma Chroma using y adapter to yellow or video 1.

your inputs sadly lack luma chroma or svideo on the display device... so composite is all you have.

the normal way of most tv's was to put the mono audio into the left channel (white in) and it would make sound out of both speakers but in mono not stereo

You cord should have audio as well... happy metering to find the right ones, or just play plug and see labeling what you find...

Edited by _The Doctor__

13 hours ago, AtariSociety said:

BTW Bob, we still need to get together.

You remember me from years Ago when you lived over in Bay Area? Wife and I had lunch with you as after I picked up some ST goods.

We were going to get together at your new place but then covid hit and that did not happen.

Was going to reach out soon now that maybe things are settling down.

TJ

Where are you located?

Go to PM?

Bob

14 hours ago, bob1200xl said:

Most cables of that sort plug the white cable into the yellow port 'Video In   1". If you use the RED cable, you will get a nice picture but the color is trash or non-existent.

Bob

If that cable follows any standard, yellow is composite video, white and red are audio channels L/R. If it is any different, the maker of that cable should be tarred and feathered for not using the correct colors.

That also matches the ports on the TV, which are all labeled.

I'd highly recommend the Retrotink upscaler along with a decent dedicated S-Video cable(avoid the all in ones, Hercules has great cables).

It'll output to any HDMI device, it retains the ratio and has several up-scaling options, along with some decent filters.

I've got the original 2x, never looked back.

www.retrotink.com

http://herculesworkshop.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=hercules-workshop&item=59616

• Like 1