IGNORED

Need help with Ultrasatan & HDDriver

Gitbizy

Here is my setup.

STACY 4mb 1.4 TOS USA

Ultrasatan (as pictured below)

HDDRIVER latest version

I have the US board powered up via USB and plugged into the external ASCI port.  

I read this thread (below) and downloaded the 1gb image, wrote it to the SD card and put it in the US.  

Stacy does not recognize the US or card at all.  (Note: no disk in the Stacy.  When I power up the stacy it tries to access the floppy for at least 15-30 seconds before giving up and going to the desktop).

This is the first time I've ever done this so I am not sure if I am doing this all correctly.

what I want to do is allow the STACY to self boot from the US - MicroSD card.  Is that possible?

Directions on how to do this?  Pretend I know nothing LOL!!!

rie

and t

back.jpg

card.jpg

front.jpg

I don't know if UltraSatan is touchy about what SD card is used, that looks like a fairly old 2GB card, I think

most people go for SanDisk SD cards as they seem to be the most compatible with this type of gear, we have the

same sort of issues with the Atari 8 bit upgrades too.

Just a thought.

You could maybe boot from a floppy with ICD Pro and see if you can format/partition the US that way

ST, STACY can boot from hard disk, so from UltraSatan too without floppy present in drive.

Of course if there is installed autoboot driver on SD card. That 1 GB image (I don't see link) probably has it.

What looks suspicious is that SD card.  Should try with other one, from good source.

Then, writing image to card can be problem - what program you used ?

And I never seen this version of UltraSatan.

Just a couple of quick thoughts. Like TGB1718, I highly recommend

using authentic SanDisk SD cards. They just seem to do the best

and have the least amount of problems.

Second, keep a blank (as in no ACC's, no AUTO folder, etc) already

formatted floppy disk in the floppy drive and your STacy will boot

up in mere moments vs half a minute while it tries to find a floppy

disk in your floppy drive.

Third, Peters' software is usually very very good. But to be on the

safe side and to rule things out, use your hard drive software to

setup a new SanDisk SD card and see if everything works like it's

supposed to and put that Peters' large file image away (just for the

moment).

Fourth, and I should have asked this first - does your STacy have

a working internal hard drive? They originally came with hard

drives of about 10-20 megs or so....IIRC. Just want to make

sure there's no conflict between an internal hard drive and your

external Ultrasatan...

PS Oh, like Peter mentioned - where did you get that Ultrasatan

from?

Edited by DarkLord
Edited....

9 hours ago, Gitbizy said:

I have ordered a sandisk 8gb card. it will be here Friday and I will give this another try... and report back.

NO internal hard drive on the stacy.  Removed it and the ACSI adapter board.

Ops ... If you removed ACSI adapter board (ACSI-SCSI converter), then external ACSI connector don't get all signals, because they go via it.

Solution: put back board, hard disk not.  Or add jumpers between first 8 contact pairs on it's connector.

1 minute ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Ops ... If you removed ACSI adapter board (ACSI-SCSI converter), then external ACSI connector don't get all signals, because they go via it.

Solution: put back board, hard disk not.  Or add jumpers between first 8 contact pairs on it's connector.

Interesting - so to confirm you want me to just plug the ACSI board back in to the STACY motherboard --- and don't connect anything to it-- then try the ultrasatan again?

I have the same US btw.. You are the first person I have seen with the same one. I had some issues with it at first.. but it has been working for me great for quite some time now.

I did mount a Lotharek US internally on the STacy .. just last week.. mounted it in the HDD bay on the STacy.

It does work, works great. As PP said, if you leave the SCSI card out, you need something to bridge the signals, HDD jumper blocks across the pins.. you will see many topics about it around.. stacy.. and also the MEGASTE requires the same thing if you remove the board.. just no cable.. its great.. if you are going to mount the US internally then the Lotharek Internal US cord is already made and works great. :)

James

17 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

I have the same US btw.. You are the first person I have seen with the same one. I had some issues with it at first.. but it has been working for me great for quite some time now.

I did mount a Lotharek US internally on the STacy .. just last week.. mounted it in the HDD bay on the STacy.

It does work, works great. As PP said, if you leave the SCSI card out, you need something to bridge the signals, HDD jumper blocks across the pins.. you will see many topics about it around.. stacy.. and also the MEGASTE requires the same thing if you remove the board.. just no cable.. its great.. if you are going to mount the US internally then the Lotharek Internal US cord is already made and works great. :)

James

That's interesting. I didn't know that myself. This makes me wonder what did they put in the hard drive bays of the no hard drive versions of the STacy and MegaSTE? I know Atari included a hard drive cover with no brackets and excess plastic on the 1-2-4 MB/no HD MegaSTE models. I wonder if they included jumper cables or something so that one could at least plug in external SCSI/ACSI devices to the MegaSTE. Anyone know?

I would have no facts but I would think the acsi board would be in there as a standard part, whether or not there was a HD in the Stacy.  I ordered some jumpers and I’m going to use those instead of the ACSI board, as I’m not mounting my US internally.

20 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

James

James, do you have a pdf manual and or software for this US model? For example the RT clock program?

their website is down/gone and I literally have no software or directions…

Edited by Gitbizy

9 hours ago, Gitbizy said:

I would have no facts but I would think the acsi board would be in there as a standard part, whether or not there was a HD in the Stacy.  I ordered some jumpers and I’m going to use those instead of the ACSI board, as I’m not mounting my US internally.

You can not attach usual UltraSatan intended for external 19 pin connector to internal board, which has 50 pin SCSI connector. If put back board, it will work fine connected to external ACSI 19 pin conn.

RTC setting program (and some others) at Jookie's site (designer of US) http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=192

If you are wanting to go internal, then Lotharek sells an adapter (as I think others mentioned):

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=49

Now it says Mega STe, but as Peter stated, it's the same for the STacy and the Mega STe.

As far as what was originally shipped, some STacy's actually came with 2 floppy drives (even

on the 1 floppy drive models there is wiring left for 2 internal floppy drives):

654141706_STacywith2floppydrives.thumb.jpg.f6e7fb44729f5bc4434ff9397f64d696.jpg