IGNORED

Robots Of Death 3

Retrospect

ROD_3.zip < Contains Editor/Assembler 5 files, Extended Basic file, and a manual.

Robots of Death revision 3 ..... it's a bit of a blast.  

Shoot the robots before they catch you, they'll get quicker on each new wave to a point ... watch out for the landmines .... the XY Zappers are back and they fire missiles into the zone ... one of them creates a bomb which drops down the screen after a short time, look out for that bugger!  .... Then of course there's Evil Eddie. He's a right nutter.  He randomly appears during any wave , from any one of four corners of the zone, and locks on to the player.  He can only be killed by leading him into a landmine!  5000 points for killing Eddie, 100 points for killing each Robot.  Robots can only be killed with your player missile.

As you progress through the waves, everything gets harder.  The XY Zappers fire more often, the robots are faster and Eddie's frankly bonkers.  Have fun!! :)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Airshack said:

Isn’t that the Evil Otto dude from Berzerk? Perhaps a distant relative?

I really like the re-generate-player graphics/sound routine. The whole Death by ___ deal is really funny as well.

Thanks Airshack  ... it's basically him yeah but I decided to call him Evil Eddie.  He could be considered a cousin. lol.
The "death by ___" routine actually gets quite funny if you run into a landmine.  It'll randomly choose between saying death by landmine , or death by stupidity!  :)

1 hour ago, Retrospect said:

I decided to call him Evil Eddie.  He could be considered a cousin. lol.

That's hilarious! Death by stupidity is the one remaining achievement I have yet to acquire, and not due to any lack of stupidity strength. 

Very nice how you've combined elements from other games to create something original. To me this is interesting because your game design is really creative vs classic video porting.  

Will you be introducing any new tools into your Compiled BASIC workflows?  What are your thoughts on the new TICoded devkit for compiled BASIC?

I'm interested in your current tools and workflow...the whole process. You're squeezing a lot out of BASIC...mate! GREAT WORK! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Airshack said:

Will you be introducing any new tools into your Compiled BASIC workflows?  What are your thoughts on the new TICoded devkit for compiled BASIC?

I've not really had the time at the moment to look into TICoded yet but it's on my list of to-do's ...

14 minutes ago, Airshack said:

Very nice how you've combined elements from other games to create something original. To me this is interesting because your game design is really creative vs classic video porting.

Yeah it works.  Jeff Minter did it with his games, a couple of games he wrote were basically Centipede with added stuff .... in fact Centipede with XY Zappers.  I've taken a lot of cue's from Minter.  :)

15 minutes ago, Airshack said:

You're squeezing a lot out of BASIC...mate! GREAT WORK! 

It's just a method I developed.  During the last couple of games I altered my coding style.  Now that I'm doing it this way I can see that for all my previous games I was doing it wrong.  lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Retrospect said:

It's just a method I developed.  During the last couple of games I altered my coding style.  Now that I'm doing it this way I can see that for all my previous games I was doing it wrong.  lol

It that the format that I saw where you use lots of narrow focused sub-routines and a big main game loop that just calls them as needed?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Maybe you're thinking of me... As far as I know, that's the way to go!;-)

I concur it's the only way to *go.  Sadly, I was not thinking of you. :( 

I saw it first with the Billy Ball Demo that @Retrospect did.

Very solid looking code.

*Unless you have threads. :) 

• Like 3