IGNORED

Atari VCS media player?

eightbit

Very new to this machine (like hours new!) and I did see that Plex is on this which IIRC is a streaming app for videos/music etc.

Is there a dedicated media player available for the VCS? Like a winamp or VLC type of thing?

I know all of that can be done by installing an OS, but I want to keep it native for now and just use it as a console. It would be cool to throw some videos or mp3's on a USB flash drive and just play them with a dashboard app. Or maybe that is already something I can do?

Again, pretty new to it all. But, what I see so far I really like!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, eightbit said:

Very new to this machine (like hours new!) and I did see that Plex is on this which IIRC is a streaming app for videos/music etc.

Is there a dedicated media player available for the VCS? Like a winamp or VLC type of thing?

I know all of that can be done by installing an OS, but I want to keep it native for now and just use it as a console. It would be cool to throw some videos or mp3's on a USB flash drive and just play them with a dashboard app. Or maybe that is already something I can do?

Again, pretty new to it all. But, what I see so far I really like!

No, at this time, there is no simple local media player, but I heard one will come at some point.
The focus at the moment is on new core features, and games.

Welcome to the forum - I'm happy to "meet" every new VCS owner, with good things happening.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jstrotha0975 said:

How about using an external disc drive to play games and music on the Atari OS?

Unfortunately that would only be possible when running another OS on the Atari VCS at the moment!, I’m pretty sure in the future it may be possible as my Xbox 360 external HD DVD drive is recognised in Atari OS but has no functionality unless I boot into Windows 10. 

10 hours ago, zzip said:

What you could do is put something like Kodibuntu or Openelec on a flash drive and have the VCS boot into it when you start it.   Of course it will require reboot, but it's something until Atari releases a more integrated media player.

Not a bad idea at all! Not sure why I did not think of that. I keep kind of forgetting it is a PC afterall. Thanks!

But yeah, it would be great to see a developer create some media player native to the AtariOS and expand upon it (ie: music playback of choice while in menus or while browsing with Chrome, etc). But especially a VLM light show. I hope Jeff Minter is reading this ;)

17 hours ago, eightbit said:

But yeah, it would be great to see a developer create some media player native to the AtariOS and expand upon it (ie: music playback of choice while in menus or while browsing with Chrome, etc). But especially a VLM light show. I hope Jeff Minter is reading this ;)

My thought exactly!

27 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Speaking of Minter, Tempest 4000 is 50% off on Steam right now. Did that ever come to the VCS, as was shown in many pre-launch illustrations? I can’t believe that game is three and a half years old already. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/688140/Tempest_4000/

Jeff is doing a version for the VCS.  It was announced in the September Atari financial report.  By the time it comes out it will probably be Tempest 5000 though.  He has a dev kit and has posted pics of it on his twitter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Speaking of Minter, you can get the entire Llamasoft catalogue for under ten bucks at the moment including the excellent Tempest-inspired Space Giraffe:

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/15990/Everything_Everything/

While not an official part of the series, it's pretty much the missing link between the gameplay of Tempest 2000/3000 and TxK/4000.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I believe you, but you don't happen to have a link to him tweeting about it, do you? Jeff's feed is full of somewhat disturbing computer generated virtual paintings. Here is a clean one. https://twitter.com/llamasoft_ox/status/1465725401767063558?s=20

You can see my thread here.

• Thanks 1