IGNORED

Anyone Ever Heard of this Rev Level on Atari Boards?

DavidMil

I'm getting a board from a friend and when I asked him what the Rev level was, he looked at the bare printed circuit board

and read 'Rev.- X1R copyright 2-84 manufacture date 8-84'.  This is an authentic Atari circuit board and he is a very reputable

person.  Anyone ever heard of this before?

DavidMil    

5 hours ago, DavidMil said:

Rev.- X1R copyright 2-84 manufacture date 8-84'.

That’s a weird, transitional date range - 2/84 is 5 months before Warner sold out, and 8/84 is a month after the Tramiels started running things.’

Further, that designation certainly hints at some kind of experimental or R&D board, not necessarily anything for mass production. Does your friend have any indication or hint what this board might be? Photos? 

8 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

That’s a weird, transitional date range - 2/84 is 5 months before Warner sold out, and 8/84 is a month after the Tramiels started running things.’

Further, that designation certainly hints at some kind of experimental or R&D board, not necessarily anything for mass production. Does your friend have any indication or hint what this board might be? Photos? 

Perhaps it is about the 128K 800XL mentioned in the post linked below:

5 hours ago, kheller2 said:

Need pics. :)

Assuming XL board.  The only thing I have close to that in my little table is a SECAM board but X1A 4-84. 

Sorry, the board has been mailed second day air.  So that 'should' put it here Saturday.  But this time of year, I'm thinking Monday.

I'll take pictures and post them as soon as I get it.  I can tell you this: It's for a 1090, but I don't think it ever went to production.

As Dr.Venkman pointed out, I think it may have been an R&D board 

DavidMil

• Like 4

It came today!  Dr.Venkman was correct; this is not a working 1090XL board, but rather a prototype.  Even at that, it still

can't work as it is.  First thing I noticed is that the on/off switch is jumpered out with a trace between the two through hole

points on the board.  Also the red LED (CR15) is in the middle of the board, just like the schematics at AtariMuseum.  The passive

components only go halfway down the side of the board, and there are a lot less caps, resistors and inductors on this board.

While it's not a working board it is a very unique as most companies usually only make a very few of these proto boards.  I'm

sorry Ken, that I promised you something that I now can't deliver.

Here are the pictures... 

DavidMil 

Bottom of Board.JPG

Top of Board.JPG

Writing on Board.JPG

Writing on Board Magnified1.JPG

Writing on Board Magnified2.JPG

FAB Magnified.JPG

• Like 3

hi,

though it is not the same I would not say it wont work. I was looking over the photos and see many many similarities. many more then differences. hard to say tho. I would still like to examine it to  be sure of some of the mechanical properties like hole and edge connector placement. those are and will be critical for proper reconstruction of the remake board.

Ken

The board looks like it can be made to work, though there might be some damage or cosmetic abrasion to some of the track/traces... the s1 issue is not that big a deal, mostly because on the test bench ... your supply has it's own switch, making the pick off points useful isn't a chore at all really.

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 4 weeks later...