IGNORED

Internal MyIDE (from Atarimax)

Larry

Not the early kit version.  Does anyone here still use one of these?  Fairly popular before newer alternatives, it provided a HDD without taking up the cartridge port (or PBI).  I was prompted to think about these as an alternative to TBA PBI HDD adapter. Closely related to the MyIDE + Flash, it used the Transcend-type CF module.  It would appear that Atarimax no longer sells these.

• Like 1

I've got a couple of these stashed away in my "old devices" bin.  I think I'll get one out and tinker with it this winter.  Quite a few years ago, I wanted to use a HDD in a 1200XL, and this was the only way that I could think of, without taking the cartridge port.  I did get it working after a few false starts.  The 1200 had an XL7 accelerator (from bob1200xl), and the performance was snappy to say the least.  

Thanks for the picture and link!  The link shows 3 different models (which I didn't remember).   I have the XL models, maybe one of the 1200XL versions.

In looking at my Internal MyIDE parts, I find that I'm missing the 4-pin wiring harnesses.  Are these available somewhere?  Or larger ones that can be cut?  The harness and plug are clearly shown in Roy's photo above in post 3.  Do these have a specific name?

1 hour ago, Wrathchild said:

covered in post #2? ?

OP wasn't looking to buy, more if people used them.

looks like a bit of duplication but all the bases are indeed covered.

It was a correction to the op's first post saying that 'It would appear AtariMax no longer sells...'   which of course isn't the case.

I also looks like people are still using them and buying them as you clearly are as well given in post #2's evidence.

Perhaps a few other people may find the links useful in using as well as setting them up in whatever fashion will serve them the best.

Edited by _The Doctor__

On 11/29/2021 at 8:47 AM, mr-atari said:

You can still order the older hardware from Steve.

Even de Atarimax 1mb with MyIDE cartridges.

He still makes them as service to the community.

I have a few of these, and even still one in use. Although the newer MyIDE2 has way more features and power, I still love those older MyIDE 1 + Flash carts, or even cooler: the home made TTL based MyIDE 1 carts. It's great stuff, and they absolutely defined a certain era in the history of mass storage solutions on atari 8bit. It's a very cool idea that with just a few TTL components, one can create a MyIDE interface. 

• Like 4

I recently found some original notes from myself.

Dating back to January 1998 (!)

That was when I developed/made my first MyIDE interface (cartridge-port)

Using only 2 TTL-chips (no buffer), costing only 2 auro and a (salvaged) quantum HDD.

Simply because I couldn't afford me a blackbox and DIY was more fun.

Shown on the Abbuc-JHV 1998, "big jaw drop" reaction.

Those were the days.

?

• Like 8

2 hours ago, mr-atari said:

Those were the days.

?

To be honest: absolutely. 

A pretty large part of my Atari journey has been filled in finding the most ultimate atari 8bit setup. By the time I found quite what I would call the ultimate atari 8bit setup, the fun was partly over. 

Although MyIDE was not perfect (well, what is?) it gave us so much joy in creating solutions for problems, for finding workarounds with specially written tools, improvements in the MyBIOS, all the testing. It was really fun. 

And that is why I am going back to the older solutions, like the BlackBox, and the MyIDE interface. I love the limitations, since these gave me new inspiration for writing tools and having fun with atari 8bit again. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Marius said:

And that is why I am going back to the older solutions, like the BlackBox, and the MyIDE interface. I love the limitations, since these gave me new inspiration for writing tools and having fun with atari 8bit again. 

And you can start calling the BBSes again... huh?  :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marius said:

True! I really should do that. Is your BBS still online? And is my account still active? Would like to play some Kingdom again!

Of course...  and I would never delete you.  You're still listed in some of the top ten lists.  And Kingdom is still there waiting for you.

And there are quite a few nice BBSes going on these days.  Check us out!

• Like 1

Hi Sijmen-

First, thanks so much for the work to make these available!

In light testing, everything works except Basic XE on both. It goes immediately to a black screen and locks up. Since you have the FMP, Basic XL might be easier to deal with? Just a thought. BTW, just reminds me again how nice the Cartridge Studio is. Works so smoothly under Win10.

Update: My first tests were using a stock 800XL with 64K or 576K (using an external memory upgrade).  I just tried it again using a stock 130XE, and BXE works there.  So it evidently needs internally expanded memory.  So they all work!  Great!

I would think that it would need a memory upgrade that follows the 130XE banks structure and possibly sep antic access... something to consider when trying to us BASICXE with other machines... there can be issues with this DOS or that and which extensions a person uses...

which revision BASIC XE is this by the way?

A real BXE cart will come up in 64K and function pretty much like BXL.  As I remember it, a BXE cart is not usable in an 800 with 48K.  In order to load the BXE extensions, then you must have at least 128K (and ram-under-rom available).  I don't know specifically about any requirements for banking, but I'm 99% sure that it works fine with Rambo. 

None of this detracts from being able to get it into a MyIDE + Flash, even if it requires additional memory to function.

The purpose to using BASIC XE is to utilize the extra 64K memory in the 130XE's secondary bank for your program. The main memory being reserved for variables, the stack, and other related items with page six available for our use and purposes. EXTENDED mode leaves us with approximately 63K available for our program and 32K available for data. It's faster math pack more than makes up for any bank manipulations that might be needed and it accesses them in a way that doesn't require us to flip the port bits ourselves.

We don't have to worry about the details of memory management except in a special case, If you want to use your extra 64K in another way, RAM-disks or some DOS stuff usually, BASIC XE will allow you to specify an optional bank number in the POKE, DPOKE, PEEK, DPEEK, MOVE, BGET and BPUT commands so you can refer to an address in the range $4000-$7FFF, the secondary bank's "access window" as banks 0-3 are within that bank and the default bank 4 indicates main memory.

Basic XL is the way to go for the 64k and under crowd.

Is there certain improvements in BASIC XE that you want on an XL?

I have only seen BXE run on XE machines or compy shop memory upgraded others... I haven't seen it on a stock 600XL or stock/rambo 800XL, or an 800 (though it'll be fun to see it work with an incognito)

curious about what you're up to and trying to achieve.

Edited by _The Doctor__