IGNORED

Internal MyIDE (from Atarimax)

Larry

2nd thing that came to my mind.

Hacking the internal MyIDE with some switches.

The flash is 128k in size and only 32k (MyBIOS + recovery) are used.

In recovery the IDE is disabled.

Giving room to 3 more sets of OS + recovery.

Anyone has a schematic of the layout?

I found that A14 and A15 are "free" and A16 is the recovery select.

But I have to measure how/where these traces go to, pulled up/down etc.

7 hours ago, mr-atari said:

I checked the code, same as MyIDE-][, and no reports either.

I do status of D1, if error, exit.

If OK, read status-byte, negative=MD, bit4 = DD, otherwise SD

Then copy 720 sectors or 1040 (MD).

Nothing wrong there....

I will dive into it. Have had several issues with it. Probably not due to the code, but probably because the source floppy was not giving back the right density. That is always a problem with auto detection.

I am afraid you do not have the space left, but it would be very convenient if the user could tell the mybios image system what density and/or how many sectors should be copied.

When I have time (and that is soon) you will get a better report than this.

And "no problem here" ... I suppose you and I have long enough history with this together, that when I report a problem, it's probably indeed a problem, that might have a surprising cause, that is not seen at first sight on the code. So let me get back to you,  and let's fix this. I am extremely happy what this mybios version can be fixed. Very happy!

13 hours ago, mr-atari said:

I checked the code, same as MyIDE-][, and no reports either.

I do status of D1, if error, exit.

If OK, read status-byte, negative=MD, bit4 = DD, otherwise SD

Then copy 720 sectors or 1040 (MD).

Nothing wrong there....

Found the issue, you can reproduce it yourself pretty easily. If not, then you might have fixed the issue in the past, and I did not install the fixed version of MyBIOS. But here you go:

1. Take a confirmed ED (medium density) formatted Dos 2.5 disk. Simply use the DOS 2.5 ATR file. Make sure it is on D1: 
2. Take a stock Atari 8bit computer, non MyBIOS in Eprom (I tested this on a stock 800xl)
3. Make sure Power is off. 
4. Attach MyIDE cart. 
5. Switch on Atari computer. 
6. Enter the MyBIOS Image system
7. Transfer the SIO disk to the Image system. 
8. The disk is recognized as Single Density disk 
9. Retry procedure
10. The disk is recognized as Medium Density disk.

The issue is this: on the very first read of the disk, the MD is not recognized. My workaround was always this: transfer the disk twice. It is only done right the second time. 

Not a very big problem, since that workaround works. But it might be worth looking at. 
If you can't reproduce the problem let me know. 

To reproduce bug, it is important to follow these step. If you like I can make a video of the procedure here. 

Greetz,
Marius

EDIT: Oh I tried it not with 1050, but with a Sio2xxx device. I will try to see what happens with real 1050. 

EDIT 2: Well tried it now with my 1050, and the same issue is there. Also flashed my AtariMax MyIDE 1 + Flash with your latest version, to be 100% sure that you and I are testing with the same stuff. Take DOS 2.5, create yourself an MD disk, write DOS to it. Power Cycle atari. And try to copy that disk to an image slot. It will stop at $2D0 the very first try (and it is marked as "S" in the list). Try again and it will copy all the $410 sectors and it is marked as "M" in the list).

Edited by Marius

@Marius Bug, confirmed and only on the first disk you copy.

Every other disk is detected OK, until you powerup again or re-enter image-mode.

MyIDE-][, bug not present, plus, I show the detected density.

So somewhere between 4.8 -> 4.9 -> MyBIOS-RAM/ROM I fixed it....

(Picture MyIDE-][ MyBIOS-RAM, waiting for "Y", copy to slot $002A "jaja")

image.png.7835c68a8abe96571a02a138cf5eb241.png

You are right about room, I have 8 bytes or so left for the image-menu.

So I have a thought about this. Will be after X-mas.

Merry X-mas to you all!

[EDIT] 4.9 for MyIDE-][ it is fixed too.

[EDIT-2] 4.8 for MyIDE-][ it is fixed too.....

So this is a MyIDE-I only....

Edited by mr-atari
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mr-atari said:

Bug, confirmed and only on the first disk you copy.

Yes that is right. In fact it is not really big problem. But, sometimes my 'reports' come from the enthusiasm/wish that an already excellent system, has the tiny cosmetic 'flaws' removed. It's not a big deal if it can not be fixed. I remember when I used the image part intensively, I already transferred the disk twice already, to be 100%.

Since I already test an image after conversion, every disk I transferred was the 'first' disk. So I had to deal with this quite a lot back in the days. Since transferring disks is not something one does the entire day, 24/7, it is not a big problem when the problem is not solved.

MyIDE-][, bug not present, plus, I show the detected density.

So somewhere between 4.8 -> 4.9 -> MyBIOS-RAM/ROM I fixed it....

Ah that explains why I kept the bug. I did not move to MyBIOS for MyIDE ][, because I was (and am!) very satisfied with the older MyBIOS version for MyIDE 1. Also, I kept the freedom to use MyIDE 1 and MyIDE ][ on the same Atari. I also created quite some cool stuff that used the SRAM of MyIDE interface, and that started to interfere with MyBIOS for MyIDE ][. So that was for me another reason to stick with MyBIOS for MyIDE 1. 

You are right about room, I have 8 bytes or so left for the image-menu.

So I have a thought about this. Will be after X-mas.

It would be cool if you manage to fix it. But seriously: please do not bother too much. I could imagine that it is something simple as not having a CLC somewhere in the code. Something that fails on the first round and works as expected on the second round, are prone to be something like that. 

Merry X-mas to you all!

Thank you Mr. Atari. Yes! Merry Christmas, and a happy, atariful, and especially HEALTHY 2022. Also best wishes for Ms. Atari!

So this is a MyIDE-I only....

No problem at all. It's good enough to know that this a confirmed bug.