IGNORED

8 pin mini din to scart

colecoJay

I bought one not that long ago from Retro gaming cables out of the UK. They don't make this that easy to find, but here is the direct link to ordering one. Provided Yurkie used the same wiring as shown with this cable, it should work excellently.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/8PIN-MINI-DIN-TO-RGB-EUROSCART-TIM-WORTHINGTON-NES-RGB-ATARI-2600-HAS-SUPERGUN-Sega-Game-Gear-Philips-CDi-Colecovision-Intellivision-Panasonic-3DO?search=8pin mini din

1 hour ago, Ikrananka said:

There's also Tim Worthington's cable which is DIY assembly - bearing in mind as -^CrossBow^- says that Yurkie used the same wiring.  I suspect he will have done as Yurkie is/was the US distributor for Tim.

https://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=207&rn=544&action=show_detail 

My main issue with the DIY cable assembly is that the breakout board provided does NOT have any pads tied to the audio pins? So you have to use the 3.5mm jack to break out the audio. I think the reason Tim did this is because it was easier to get the cables he is using for the 8-pin but they don't have all the wiring internally for the audio and that is why he adds that extra portion for the audio separately. It was the least cost method to go with even with all the stuff together separately as it is vs having to have made or ordering up pre-done cables. Then again, this is why Retrogaming cables has their own cable fully assembled. It is listed in the product link it specifically mentions the 2600 RGB, so it would seem the cable is wired the same way. Although for the cost of the DIY cable, getting one from Retrogaming cables is about the same or very close to it.

That's a good point about the audio.  I have one of Tim's cables, and it works very well for my RGB modded 2600 Jr., but I'm now looking to do an Intellivision RGB mod and will be buying one of the Retrogaming cables for that.  BTW - there's an 18% Black Friday sale discount on the Retrogaming cables at the moment. 

On 11/27/2021 at 11:21 AM, Ikrananka said:

That's a good point about the audio.  I have one of Tim's cables, and it works very well for my RGB modded 2600 Jr., but I'm now looking to do an Intellivision RGB mod and will be buying one of the Retrogaming cables for that.  BTW - there's an 18% Black Friday sale discount on the Retrogaming cables at the moment. 

Any reason for going with 8-pin again over 9-pin? I mainly use the 9-pin because those cables can be had here in the US that are pretty decent. Also lots of other RGB upgrades it seems at least here in the US have moved over to using 9-pin more over the 8-pin. Perhaps because you can wire in composite as well one some of the kits and in turn then use HDRetrovision cables to give you component outputs instead.

Also in looking at DIY cable assembly I have last night, the actual cable does appear to have all 8 pins on it but I've not checked if they are fully wired up. If they are, then I really don't see the reason for breaking out the audio unless it had to do with noise or something?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2021 at 8:43 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Any reason for going with 8-pin again over 9-pin? I mainly use the 9-pin because those cables can be had here in the US that are pretty decent. Also lots of other RGB upgrades it seems at least here in the US have moved over to using 9-pin more over the 8-pin. Perhaps because you can wire in composite as well one some of the kits and in turn then use HDRetrovision cables to give you component outputs instead.

My main reason is that I don't need/want composite and so have no need for the extra pin.  This also means that the two cables I have will be interchangeable between my two RGB modded systems.

50 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

My main reason is that I don't need/want composite and so have no need for the extra pin.  This also means that the two cables I have will be interchangeable between my two RGB modded systems.

That makes sense if that is what you already have on hand. I offer both 8-pin and 9-pin in my RGB installs now so I can provide whichever a client wants or has on hand.

• Like 1