IGNORED

Should i get a series X? Pros and cons please

Frozone212

More details needed. New to Xbox? Moving over from another platform? etc.... I love mine..

Super fast load times, 360 games look there best here. Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 are mind blowing gorgeous.

It's really up to your needs and wants.

17 hours ago, Albert said:

Is it even possible to buy a Series X??

..Al

Yes, but they're still in the 'hen's teeth' category.  I see them every great once in a while if you're studious and persistent.  :)  Or... happen to catch one of Microsoft's periodic bundle deals.

We picked one up late Spring with one of their bundles that also had two years of Game Pass Ultimate; in the long run it ended costing actually a little less for us than to try to find the console and sub.  We have long since paid off the 'debt' associated with the payment plan.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Albert said:

Only if your really lucky. I scored one back in July for $600. Private seller on craigslist he even delivered it to my local police department.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

Do i need a 4k tv? is it really needed?

No. But if you’re paying for all that power in The Series X you really should have a 4K TV for it. But yet not totally 100% needed. I have a friend that has a regular TV basically not 4K and he bought a Series S and he loves it. 

3 hours ago, digdugnate said:

Yes, but they're still in the 'hen's teeth' category.  I see them every great once in a while if you're studious and persistent.  :)  Or... happen to catch one of Microsoft's periodic bundle deals.

We picked one up late Spring with one of their bundles that also had two years of Game Pass Ultimate; in the long run it ended costing actually a little less for us than to try to find the console and sub.  We have long since paid off the 'debt' associated with the payment plan.

3 hours ago, wongojack said:

I can't get one, and I'm supposed to have connections in this area.

2 hours ago, adamchevy said:

I can’t get one either and my good friend works in upper management for GameStop. I think they will continue to be out of reach until mid 2022.

6 minutes ago, Zeptari1 said:

Only if your really lucky. I scored one back in July for $600. Private seller on craigslist he even delivered it to my local police department.

So, I'll take that as a solid NO to my question.  :)

Thanks,

..Al

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

22 hours ago, Albert said:

..Al

For PS5 and Series X you need an active account with either Sony or Microsoft and they will send you one of these (pictures below). I've gotten an email about once a month this year when they are available. Even though I already got an Xbox from them they still send me the buy emails. No need for scalpers or store camp outs, just an account and some patience.Screenshot_20211128-194153.thumb.png.8ed5f0e0dfb3ce537159caddb0c4f36f.pngScreenshot_20211128-193934.thumb.png.b0f3e1b55264c9fd3f024fe9282675ad.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neogeo1982 said:

For PS5 and Series X you need an active account with either Sony or Microsoft and they will send you one of these (pictures below). I've gotten an email about once a month this year when they are available. Even though I already got an Xbox from them they still send me the buy emails. No need for scalpers or store camp outs, just an account and some patience.

Yeah, did that with the PS5 for a while and it ended up just being a big waste of time.  Did finally get one at Kohls, locally, of all places.  I'm not going to play that stupid game with the Xbox.  Amazing that these consoles are still so scarce and they've been out for over a year now.  I know there are various supply chain issues and chip shortages, but it's still pretty remarkable to see.

..Al

• Like 5

Yeah, did that with the PS5 for a while and it ended up just being a big waste of time.  Did finally get one at Kohls, locally, of all places.  I'm not going to play that stupid game with the Xbox.  Amazing that these consoles are still so scarce and they've been out for over a year now.  I know there are various supply chain issues and chip shortages, but it's still pretty remarkable to see.    ..Al 

I think this will go down in history as the strongest demand and lowest supply of many products. I wish companies like Google, Microsoft, Apple, and Intel would get together and form chip manufacturing companies in North and South America. It would solve a lot of issues for many different industries before they became a problem.

Although, I can’t see them coming together to solve problems with how fiercely they compete with one another. Maybe Elon can find a solution.

On 11/27/2021 at 7:16 PM, Punisher5.0 said:

I'd check out a Series S if you are still rocking a 1080p tv. Way cheaper, actually available and plays the same games.

I'll counter with an opposite perspective. Yes, the Series S is quite affordable, but it has a lot of downsides. The biggest thing for me is the Series X|S games themselves. They generally look significantly worse on Series S. Not just because of a lower resolution (games tend to cap out at 1440p on it, some lower), but significantly lower texture quality and more inconsistent framerates on heavier games, like Microsoft Flight Simulator. That game in particular, while still cool on Series S, is like running the PC game on low settings, haha. Really takes you out of the experience when you get closer to the ground. Backwards compatible games also use the Xbox One versions on the Series S as opposed to the Xbox One X versions that would be accessible on the Series X, so you lose some of the enhancements some of those titles got.

Obviously the no disc drive is a big thing. This isn't a massive deal if you have GamePass and an already-large digital library, but I'll counter that with the fact you can save a lot of money in the long run by purchasing used physical discs, or discounted new copies. Regardless whether a game comes "finished" on a disc, having the disc still gives you access to the content. Given digital games rarely permanently drop in price, or if they do it's often not a $40 or $50 drop (heh), there's a lot of value you get in simply having the capability to use physical media. I went through this personally a few weeks back when I wanted the Xbox version of DmC Devil May Cry. I figured, ah, it's an old game now--I could probably nab it for $15 on the Microsoft Store. Nope! It's still $30. A used copy on disc right now is like, ten bucks.

As an aside, I miss no longer having a 4K BluRay player. It's also not nearly as convenient having to use a second console now (either my PS3 or PS4) for DVD and BluRay functionality in general. Prior I was simply able to use my Xbox for everything, but not anymore.

The other thing is low internal storage, at just 500GB. It fills up super fast when you're playing the latest big-budget games. The official "high speed" expansion is ridiculously expensive as well. You can install games to a cheaper external hard drive, but some load times likely won't be as fast and I believe you can't use certain features, like Quick Resume. Good times!

So yeah. Series S is neat and might be fine for some people, but anyone seriously considering one, I'd really take some time to weigh the options/differences. To me the extra cost for the Series X is worth it regardless whether you have a 4K TV or not.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

I'll counter with an opposite perspective. Yes, the Series S is quite affordable, but it has a lot of downsides. The biggest thing for me is the Series X|S games themselves. They generally look significantly worse on Series S. Not just because of a lower resolution (games tend to cap out at 1440p on it, some lower), but significantly lower texture quality and more inconsistent framerates on heavier games, like Microsoft Flight Simulator. That game in particular, while still cool on Series S, is like running the PC game on low settings, haha. Really takes you out of the experience when you get closer to the ground. Backwards compatible games also use the Xbox One versions on the Series S as opposed to the Xbox One X versions that would be accessible on the Series X, so you lose some of the enhancements some of those titles got.

Obviously the no disc drive is a big thing. This isn't a massive deal if you have GamePass and an already-large digital library, but I'll counter that with the fact you can save a lot of money in the long run by purchasing used physical discs, or discounted new copies. Regardless whether a game comes "finished" on a disc, having the disc still gives you access to the content. Given digital games rarely permanently drop in price, or if they do it's often not a $40 or $50 drop (heh), there's a lot of value you get in simply having the capability to use physical media. I went through this personally a few weeks back when I wanted the Xbox version of DmC Devil May Cry. I figured, ah, it's an old game now--I could probably nab it for $15 on the Microsoft Store. Nope! It's still $30. A used copy on disc right now is like, ten bucks.

As an aside, I miss no longer having a 4K BluRay player. It's also not nearly as convenient having to use a second console now (either my PS3 or PS4) for DVD and BluRay functionality in general. Prior I was simply able to use my Xbox for everything, but not anymore.

The other thing is low internal storage, at just 500GB. It fills up super fast when you're playing the latest big-budget games. The official "high speed" expansion is ridiculously expensive as well. You can install games to a cheaper external hard drive, but some load times likely won't be as fast and I believe you can't use certain features, like Quick Resume. Good times!

So yeah. Series S is neat and might be fine for some people, but anyone seriously considering one, I'd really take some time to weigh the options/differences. To me the extra cost for the Series X is worth it regardless whether you have a 4K TV or not.

I own a Series S that’s hooked up to a 1080p/60hz plasma TV. I wish I had the Series X now.
  • Like 1

I still have a lot of physical copies of games that are backwards compatible that I play from time to time, so Series S wasn't a good option for me. So I got a Series X. I do still have a 1080p display, so it'll be a nice additional upgrade when I get a 4k display at some point. Regarding new games, I'm already pushing the limits of the internal storage and not looking forward to the high price of the expansion cards.

The expansion cards are stupid expensive, in my opinion.  MS still got me for a 1 TB card, though.

I don't know if this has changed, but before you could only use an external USB drive to store files/etc on the Series X rather than play off of it (or so I thought).  Hopefully now it would be to where you could load from the USB drive but it'd just be slow and you couldn't use features like Quick Resume.

I got a Series X at release. I moved my USB hard drive from my Xbox One to my Series X and it played all those games just fine without any hassle.  Xbox Series S/X enhanced games are required to be on the internal hard drive or official expansion card.  You can back up those on an external USB drive but that's it.

• Thanks 1

Series S is actually pretty plentiful right now, in stores and online.  The Series X is a little tougher to get,  but obtainable.  If you follow the people on Twitter who post restocks, you'll have a decent chance.  

As far as the S not having a disc drive...90% of the game is a download these days and usually not finished at launch.  If you get into gamepass(which I recommend), the drive is even less necessary.  The internal storage is pretty pathetic though, so if you're looking to have more than a handful of games on the system,  you'll need extra storage. 

The X looks amazing.  Forza 5 is just about photo realistic.  That being said,  if you want the most out of the X, you'll need to upgrade to a 4k/hdr/Dolby vision/hdmi 2.1 compatible tv.

So,  yes,  I would recommend a new xbox.  Gamepass alone makes it a great option,  with a library of games going back to the original xbox up to new releases.

Edited by 4300