IGNORED

Should i get a series X? Pros and cons please

Frozone212

The series X and PS5 aren’t really released yet as far as I can tell. Early paper release for publicity.

This is how I see it as well, but mainly due to supply problem. It’s just hard for me to believe communist China is allowing their biggest industry to go understaffed and underutilized. I think it’s more of a competition and delivery problem.

• 4 months later...
On 12/1/2021 at 3:48 PM, 4300 said:

Series S is actually pretty plentiful right now, in stores and online.  The Series X is a little tougher to get,  but obtainable.  If you follow the people on Twitter who post restocks, you'll have a decent chance.  

As far as the S not having a disc drive...90% of the game is a download these days and usually not finished at launch.  If you get into gamepass(which I recommend), the drive is even less necessary.  The internal storage is pretty pathetic though, so if you're looking to have more than a handful of games on the system,  you'll need extra storage. 

The X looks amazing.  Forza 5 is just about photo realistic.  That being said,  if you want the most out of the X, you'll need to upgrade to a 4k/hdr/Dolby vision/hdmi 2.1 compatible tv.

So,  yes,  I would recommend a new xbox.  Gamepass alone makes it a great option,  with a library of games going back to the original xbox up to new releases.

One thing no one is mentioning is used disc based games are dirt cheap. Like cheaper than you'd probably guess for top tier games. Like 9 -19 for most titles. I just got several games yesterday, Like a Dragon for 11 sealed new, Samurai Shodown for series x with dlc sealed new for 19, Cod Cold War used for 19, Hotwheels new sealed for 18, Rider's Republic lic used for 18, Dirt 5 used for 20, Sea of Thieves used for 10, Cyberpunk new sealed for 10 and Money Ball used for 14. I feel like I already have a nice, large collection and at a tiny fraction of what I would have from the xbox dload store. Not to mention some games like Kof XV having very nice collectors editions that only come in physical form.

Just food for thought. Also, having started with a series s first I feel like I can say this pretty definitively, graphically its not anywhere near the X, which I'd honestly recommend any day. Especially since you're going to spend 100-150 bucks on a 512gb expansion module just getting the S to the same internal hdd space as the X. At that point there's not enough of price savings enough to make the lack of horsepower and lack of disc drive worth it. 

Again, loved my S. Not saying you wouldn't. Just that I feel the X for its price is a no brainer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Austin said:

Series X consoles are also becoming more readily available, apparently. I went into Best Buy last week and they had a stack behind the counter.. probably 15 - 20 at least. Just a FYI for anyone curious.

Man I wish. I still haven't seen on physically in a brick and mortar store. Plenty of switches, even oleds out here. And the occasional S. Thats it, though. 

I hope they all become common. This has become ridiculous. Typical initial sold out status for consoles in the past look like a joke by comparison lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2022 at 7:14 AM, Austin said:

Series X consoles are also becoming more readily available, apparently. I went into Best Buy last week and they had a stack behind the counter.. probably 15 - 20 at least. Just a FYI for anyone curious.

Yep, I was finally able to get one a couple weeks ago.  Still not commonly available, but supplies seem to be getting better.

• Like 1

Definitely get a Series X. It's only $200 more, which is chump change in the large scheme of things. And the disc drive opens up a lot of options to play your existing Xbox disc games (original Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One S/X). That alone can save you way more than $200, because you will have to buy those games on the Xbox Store if you don't have a disc drive. 

And the Series X will play movies (Blu-ray and DVD's), so that will save you $100 or some from not having to buy a Blu-ray player.

Also, the better graphics and twice the SSD storage of the Series X makes X an even better deal. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jd_1138 said:

Definitely get a Series X. It's only $200 more, which is chump change in the large scheme of things. And the disc drive opens up a lot of options to play your existing Xbox disc games (original Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One S/X). That alone can save you way more than $200, because you will have to buy those games on the Xbox Store if you don't have a disc drive. 

And the Series X will play movies (Blu-ray and DVD's), so that will save you $100 or some from not having to buy a Blu-ray player.

Also, the better graphics and twice the SSD storage of the Series X makes X an even better deal. 

Totally agree. 

Was lucky enough to get a Halo edition... Quite honestly, not really excited about the design of it or the regular SeriesX. But all those advantages mentioned above make it worth to get a SeriesX over an S.

With that stated...

I still play my XBONE in the family room about as much as the SeriesX.. which is in my dedicated game room. Honestly, I have not seen anything on the SeriesX yet that tickles me and I questioned my need to purchase it... besides HALO. Yeah, the upgraded graphics are nice and the SD drive for some of the major games are more convenient on the SeriesX. But seriously, not a big selling point for me yet. if you don't have one at this point, I personally think you are not missing much. When the slew of SeriesS/X exclusive games start coming, then it will be interesting and bet we will see some this upcoming exclusives this Xmas season. I could be wrong here and may have overlooked some must have exclusive SeriesS/X games. But IMHO, until then.. My advice, save your money if you already have an XBONE. 

FYI..

I don't see the in-store kiosks for the new systems and a lack of game stock. For me, that was the biggest selling point of any new system. That and being to see it first hand and touch it. I really don't go out of my way in terms of on-lines searches to find games. They have been and were for me, for the most part, an impulse buy, especially if they were on sale or clearance. Sony and MS are missing revenue opportunities with going all digital with folks like me. Im sure they don't care as I am a minority here. I don't have game pass due to slow connection speeds (only Gold) at home. Nintendo switch however, ... hook line and sinker. I see those games and kiosks quite frequently. I always stop to take a look at inventory and see what's on the kiosk. As a result, my library of Switch games eclipse the XBOX One/seriesS/X by a long shot. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GrizzLee said:

Totally agree. 

Was lucky enough to get a Halo edition... Quite honestly, not really excited about the design of it or the regular SeriesX. But all those advantages mentioned above make it worth to get a SeriesX over an S.

With that stated...

I still play my XBONE in the family room about as much as the SeriesX.. which is in my dedicated game room. Honestly, I have not seen anything on the SeriesX yet that tickles me and I questioned my need to purchase it...

Yep, if you have an Xbone and are happy with it, then no need to upgrade. We don't eat out a lot -- maybe once a week at a fast food place. So our entertainment budget is very light, so I could easily justify the $35/month for the All Access Series X bundle. Heck my best friend and his family eat out like 5 times a week, and he complains he is always broke. Yep you will be if you spend like $1,200/month eating out. lol.

I consider the Xbox to be part of the entertainment budget. And it's free money -- no interest on the purchase price.

I love to play NBA 2K22, and the Series S/X version is free on Game Pass, and it's better than the One S/X version I bought a few months ago.  It will probably take 2-3 years for the Series S/X to be a must have for an Xbox player. We only have a limited amount of time to play games. I'd happily still be playing One S/X 2K22 if it weren't for getting the All Access bundle. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 12:48 PM, digdugnate said:

The expansion cards are stupid expensive, in my opinion.  MS still got me for a 1 TB card, though.

I don't know if this has changed, but before you could only use an external USB drive to store files/etc on the Series X rather than play off of it (or so I thought).  Hopefully now it would be to where you could load from the USB drive but it'd just be slow and you couldn't use features like Quick Resume.

It really hasn’t changed. You can play old Xbox One games off an external USB drive, but you can’t do the same with Series X/S games due to their size, and with external hdds being too slow in transferring the massive files of new generation games.

On 5/14/2022 at 11:19 PM, ColecoGamer said:

It really hasn’t changed. You can play old Xbox One games off an external USB drive, but you can’t do the same with Series X/S games due to their size, and with external hdds being too slow in transferring the massive files of new generation games.

Is this an external optical drive plugged into the Xbox Series S? Or a thumb drive? I didn't know this was possible.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jd_1138 said:

Is this an external optical drive plugged into the Xbox Series S? Or a thumb drive? I didn't know this was possible.

He is referring to USB hard drives. No optical drive is supported as far as I know.

USB Thumb drive? Hmm. never tried that. Probably would work. Note however, these would be non Series X/S optimized games.

XBOXOne games can played off a external hard drive. Exclusive Series X/S games (optimized) need to be on installed on Microsoft's proprietary SSD drive ($$$). This is the biggest limitation IMHO of the new MS gaming eco system. I suspect that in the future,  SSD drives will will come down in price considerably... after chip shortages are overcome. Wish MS wouldn't use proprietary drives though.

4 hours ago, jd_1138 said:

The external, 1tb Segate Solid State Drive plugs into the back of the Series X/S. It resembles a box-like thumb drive. It plays ALL X/S games with no problems. It plugs into a special port on the backside of the console; it doesn’t use USB either. Nothing USB can be connected to this port eithrr.

• Like 1

When I got my X, I thought 1 TB was crazy big.  It's half full now and I only have 4 games (and 3 of them are older XBone games)...  The thought of a 1 TB expansion has gone from sounding ridiculous to sounding necessary...

• Like 2

On 5/22/2022 at 11:58 AM, nadir said:

When I got my X, I thought 1 TB was crazy big.  It's half full now and I only have 4 games (and 3 of them are older XBone games)...  The thought of a 1 TB expansion has gone from sounding ridiculous to sounding necessary...

Heck, they should sell a 2 TB expansion also. 

On 5/22/2022 at 11:58 AM, nadir said:

Agreed, It is a needed thing for Series X games.  I also have a 5tb drive hooked up as well (7tb of storage on my Series X).  I keep all my optimized Series X games on the internal SSD/or the 1tb crazy expensive addon. I put all 360, Xbox one, and other stuff on my 5tb.  My 360 is still hooked up for games that are NOT in compatabilty mode (I have a few I am trying to finish)

I remember on my Xbox One X 1tb model, I thought it was a lot of space but, it was gone before I knew it....

I'd love to see 2-4tb cards for this... Even 2tb for Series games is not enough (a modern COD game is over 125gb alone). Add GamePass and if you buy a lot of new releases (like I do), even that is out of space quick... 

Well, no so quick, I did get my Series X on December 2020....