IGNORED

#FujiNet v1.6 Hardware

mozzwald

#FujiNet v1.6 hardware design files are now available on Github. The changes are listed in the README and on the Wiki. The biggest changes are the new SIO receptacle pins which are thicker and longer, providing a better fit for SIO cables and the new optional external antenna.

Attaching the new receptacle pins to the board is a ...process... For the older versions I was using the 3D printed receptacle to hold the pins during soldering. This method does not work so well with the new pins as the receptacle plastic tends to melt and warp from the heat required to solder the new pins. I ended up creating a jig using an old FujiNet pcb and a few 3D printed standoffs. The top portion of the old pcb where the buttons are was cut off so the assembled pcb with buttons fits correctly. This jig holds the receptacle pins in place at the proper height for soldering.

IMG_20211106_134113420_1.thumb.jpg.935a7b74bdf2dd0a4990d3ffaad7429f.jpg IMG_20211127_214613852_1.thumb.jpg.5f129ab9d278d16af8f545930810978c.jpg

To aid in attaching the plug, I used another pcb with the older style receptacle pins to hold the plug pins in place during soldering. This pcb was from my failed attempt at making a replacement SIO receptacle to match the original footprint on the Atari. I can share the gerbers if someone wants to make this jig.

IMG_20211106_133858780_1.thumb.jpg.7933e48756a7d72aff449d7d3b0f56c3.jpg

Using an external antenna requires the ESP32 WROVER module to have the IPEX/U.FL connector populated and the 0 ohm resistor resistor in the proper placement for directing wifi signal to it. A pigtail RP-SMA connector mounts to the rear case for use with an external antenna of your choosing. I can post a pic of this later when I get some more parts in.

I currently have 45 more left to make out of 100 total. These are gradually being made available for sale at https://fujinet.online/shop as I have time to make them.  The external antenna option proved to be more popular than I thought so I am out of those at the moment but have more parts coming this week.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Here is the WROVER module with added smd U.FL connector and correct resistor placement for external antenna. The R14 spot is for external antenna and the R15 spot is for internal pcb antenna. If you are unable to move the 0201 resistor (or if you loose it :lol:you can replace it with a solder blob on the necessary pads.

IMG_20211130_190924947_1.thumb.jpg.6f7e3872f9af123fb968b97b9fa121bb.jpg

This is the RP-SMA pigtail installed in the new XL style antenna case back. A short coaxial cable is best. There are some 4 inch ones readily available that work well. This pigtail was originally 7 inches long so I cut it in half. More work, but better than having a twisted mess inside. Make sure the coax does not get pinched anywhere when closing the case.

IMG_20211130_194631185_1.thumb.jpg.72aba092729b2c88e69b73ad815ac280.jpg

• Like 6

By request from @Gavin1968, here are the STL files for the receptacle jig using an old FujiNet PCB:

FujiNet v1.6 Receptacle Jig_Top.stl

FujiNet v1.6 Receptacle Jig_Bottom.stl

and the PCB used for the plug jig is available on OSHPark. Insert the old style FujiNet receptacle pins into a SIO plug, slide the board on and solder the pins.

I'll get all this in the github repo when I have time

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Back2skooldaze said:

May i say the micro usb socket needs making more solid its very delicate and as i leave the cable in so no unplugging/pluggin in the port is sometimes touch and go?

I've heard some complaints about this. Never had a problem myself, even after hundreds of plug cycles on dev units. About all I can do is add some plastic to the case which would help prevent brute force from lifting the port out of it's soldering holes. Any other ideas? New piece shown in red:

223550994_Screenshotfrom2021-12-1616-02-57.thumb.png.473b5b8600a2036c2307b20627c29138.png

1 hour ago, Back2skooldaze said:

Also in a next gen fujinet maybe 1.7 could there be an ethernet socket for a wired connection?

Not enough gpio pins are left to add ethernet, sorry

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Back2skooldaze said:

Hi Mozzwald, Do you know if you will be supplying retrolemon in the UK with version 1.6 ? I don't know whether retrolemon gets them from Lotherak or yourself?

I don't supply anyone, the project is open source. I sell to end users worldwide at fujinet.online when I have time to build them. Vendors build and sell the product themselves. Check with the vendor if/when they will be producing v1.6.

No comment on the proposed additional plastic to hold the usb port?

3 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

I don't supply anyone, the project is open source. I sell to end users worldwide at fujinet.online when I have time to build them. Vendors build and sell the product themselves. Check with the vendor if/when they will be producing v1.6.

No comment on the proposed additional plastic to hold the usb port?

Mine have held up well, but as a belt-and-braces approach, it can't hurt.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2021 at 2:39 PM, Back2skooldaze said:

Hi Mozzwald, Do you know if you will be supplying retrolemon in the UK with version 1.6 ? I don't know whether retrolemon gets them from Lotherak or yourself?

He gets them from me.  Having a hard time getting some of the components so until then I will only be selling on my site, but when I can I’ll be making him a batch as well.