IGNORED

New Video Card for Coco's !!!!

MrDave

Good new classic gamers ! I am designing a graphic accelarator cart that will work will all models of the Color Computer .

This will allow WiFi ,Multiplayer, Animated Sprites, Tilemaps, Backgrounds, Mp3's , Parallex scrolling , raytracing and more on this open source software to run on your standard coco .

Step 1 , load your tilemaps, sprites, sound files and backgrounds on a sd card.

Step 2  Play advanced games on your coco or design your own games / applications even from Basic !  Enjoy real world images (.bmp ) files , mp3 music , all from your coco's native monitor/tv set.

I am using the funds from my kickstarter game to develope this bleeding edge technology that will allow games like my Space pirate Kimiko game to run on real hardware and still enjoy actual soundtracks and fast graphics.

No special programs are needed to use this pre loaded cart. Just as simple as .. POKE 49440,3 will play song 3 from your sd card.

So please support this project !

Thanks, 

MrDave6309

20210712_010344.jpg

Screenshot_20211121-110801_Chrome.jpg

20211103_004212.jpg

20211114_230135.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm...it looks and sounds cool, but I just jumped on the SuperSprite FM+ 6x09 bandwagon and am awaiting it's delivery. Obviously they are very different boards, and I like your media and BT/Wi-fi features, but could both be used together? Of course I have no problem swapping them if I have too. I'm looking forward to how this progresses!

https://www.dragonplus-electronics.co.uk/product/supersprite-fm-6x09-for-dragon-and-coco-computers/

Edited by Gunstar

I have always liked the idea of using the msx chip.. i have some msx computers. Nice video chip.  My media board project is meant to be a nice little booster for the coco without needing multipaks etc.. but could be used with them .

This cart will keep your coco original but free it of some limitations of doing complex sprite algorithms, 3d calculations, parallex scrolling, etc. It will not only run my new style of games but let users create their own games from basic in their own style :) having coco users run graphics from basic faster than assembly language will really open up the hobby !

• Like 2

To let the coco catch up as if radio shack was still selling upgrades.

When the speech sound pack came out it was new hardware that could add to the coco,, make better sounds.. 

This will allow mp3 or wav files to be used as game sound fx etc,, just like the speech pak.

Like the coco sdc  ? This can can add graphic storage.

Playing with less limitations and faster speed with original graphics .  Just more graphics.. and sprites .

It lets you do more with your coco without hardware mods.

Edited by MrDave

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 10:10 PM, turboxray said:

This is actually really lame. What's the purpose? Obviously not to honor the original CoCos.

I'm not sure what to make of extreme modern add-ons to classic computers. They seem to change the personality of the machine too much. And in the process, can only do that with specialized software. Furthermore it's like the original computer becomes a microcontroller of a sort for this piece of newfangled modern hardware.

It's like VBXE on the Atari 8-bit comps. Not a lot of software uses it. And certainly none of the early best-selling cartridge software benefits.

It's like SpriteBoard or ArcadeBoard or SecondSight boards for the Apple II. They all flopped. Expensive. Specialized. Even the recent TMS9918 board skidded to a stop.

It seems like the best time-test addons for classic computers remains modern Flash memory storage solutions. These have always seemed popular whether internal or external. Not even the actual storage tech upon which they are based makes much difference.

Noteworthy though is the CFFA3000 for Apple II, it is falling out of favor in exchange for BMOW's Floppy Emu. I can see why, because FE uses the original Disk II interface card AND works with all existing software. And no tech inside the Apple II casing is replaced with "magic". It's no different than going from Cassette -> Floppy -> 10MB Sider. It's just the next evolution.

Similar with NES/SNES mappers or ARM games on the VCS. None of those changed the flavor and color of the experience.

FWIW that's how I see it!

• Like 2

It's shouldn't change things too much all the photos above are in coco3 mode.. the main goal is to allow people to program games from basic as fast or faster than machine language.. and eliminate the need for extra modem, harddrive, soundcards etc..  we will see..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MrDave said:

It's shouldn't change things too much all the photos above are in coco3 mode.. the main goal is to allow people to program games from basic as fast or faster than machine language.. and eliminate the need for extra modem, harddrive, soundcards etc..  we will see..

At that point, why? Just don't even code on the CoCo then.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, turboxray said:

At that point, why? Just don't even code on the CoCo then.

Just stop it. This is someone's project they're happy to work on. If you don't like it, then it's not the right project for you. Close the tab, move on.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, robdaemon said:

Just stop it. This is someone's project they're happy to work on. If you don't like it, then it's not the right project for you. Close the tab, move on.

No. It's public and open forum, and this is an open thread about it. I can post my opinion. Just like you can post yours. Thanks.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, turboxray said:

No. It's public and open forum, and this is an open thread about it. I can post my opinion. Just like you can post yours. Thanks.

There's a big difference between what you can do and what you should do. If you're an adult, you should know this by now.

• Like 1