IGNORED

Atari Jaguar games (for VCS Store?)

phuzaxeman

I like the 7800 and 5200 games (store/vault) on the vcs. 

Any talks of future Jaguar games? 

I feel with a lower price (I got my VCS for 250) and Jaguar games in the store, you're going to see more VCS owners imo. 

Having every atari console on the vcs would be great.  There would be a lot of people that would purchase NBA Jam, Doom, Tempest 2000, and Aliens vs Predator.

Edited by justclaws
adjusted title for clarity
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, phuzaxeman said:

There were questions asked about Jag games on the VCS on Discord.  The most we ever got from Atari was a maybe.

Some of the games on the Jag would be good to have on VCS but probably not the whole library.  Most of those games are better off forgotten (Checkered Flag and Supercross 3D are examples).

4 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

There were questions asked about Jag games on the VCS on Discord.  The most we ever got from Atari was a maybe.

Some of the games on the Jag would be good to have on VCS but probably not the whole library.  Most of those games are better off forgotten (Checkered Flag and Supercross 3D are examples).

A few games only. Many mediocre to bad titles honestly. 

• Like 2

Well there are also a few mediocre to good games for the Jaguar.  I own a Jaguar plus the CD drive, but if I could play these games and a few I don't own yet because they are so expensive and/or rare for the original Jaguar,  I would definitely buy them on the VCS and play them, and now with a better controller. 

Edited by MarcelM
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, phuzaxeman said:

I like the 7800 and 5200 games (store/vault) on the vcs. 

I feel with a lower price (I got my VCS for 250) and Jaguar games in the store, you're going to see more VCS owners imo. 

Having every atari console on the vcs would be great.  There would be a lot of people that would purchase NBA Jam, Doom, Tempest 2000, and Aliens vs Predator.

I'm also waiting for Jaguar games. I'll be the happiest person the day they release Atari Karts (if possible) and Missile Command 3D on the VCS. Though not every game can be re-released due to the Jaguar controller having more buttons than the VCS modern controller. Games that rely heavily on the numeric pad will have to be omitted like Doom, Iron Soldier, AvP, etc.

12 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Probably but Atari only owns Tempest 2000's license.

Atari's IP catalog mentions Tempest 2k, Missile Command 3D, and Space War 2000. It makes me wonder who owns Cybermorph, Atari Karts, Club Drive, Fight for Life, among others. The games I mentioned only name Atari in the copyright of their respective packaging but are not listed in their IP catalog. 

Edited by bugcatcher88

2 hours ago, bugcatcher88 said:

I'm also waiting for Jaguar games. I'll be the happiest person the day they release Atari Karts (if possible) and Missile Command 3D on the VCS. Though not every game can be re-released due to the Jaguar controller having more buttons than the VCS modern controller. Games that rely heavily on the numeric pad will have to be omitted like Doom, Iron Soldier, AvP, etc.

Atari's IP catalog mentions Tempest 2k, Missile Command 3D, and Space War 2000. It makes me wonder who owns Cybermorph, Atari Karts, Club Drive, Fight for Life, among others. The games I mentioned only name Atari in the copyright of their respective packaging but are not listed in their IP catalog. 

I'm pretty sure Atari owns those as well. They just released three Microprose games that weren't on the list, so I think that IP catalogue doesn't actually have all of their IP on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Microsoft owns DOOM and Wolfenstein 3D now. I wonder if their recent multi-platform port of Doom could work on this?

Atari could still license Doom I think (or get the recent remaster on the VCS indeed), but AvP and NBA Jam involve too many licensees though. It sounds even more of an headache than GoldenEye 007. ?

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 2:30 PM, joeatari1 said:

The funny part is that I absolutely love Checkered Flag on the Lynx and think there is potential for a modern rehash on the VCS. Atari can't offer much in terms of attracting F1 licensing but maybe if they dual launched as a mobile game available on the VCS as well that could be more interesting (such a partnership is not essential IMO,  but would be a huge marketing coup). Perhaps something like IndyCar Series is more gettable. Checkered Flag on the Lynx, even with imaginary teams, is solid. The Jaguar version reminds me of Hard Drivin', which lost a lot when you took it out of the arcade, with some weird control quirks.

For the VCS, I imagine something like a modern Super Monaco GP, possibly even optimized for the classic controller (seems like a natural stick shift function could be enabled). I think there would be a huge market for such a game. 

Edited by Atarick
  • Like 1

I would say the likeliness of this happening is null. Even if licensing issues for certain games were not an issue, a Jaguar emulator for linux (AtariOS) that works to such a degree that the games could be sold to end users (one that works perfectly that is...something that does not exist on any platform) would have to be written. That is not going to happen any time soon....probably never.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 2

On 12/5/2021 at 1:28 AM, eightbit said:

I would say the likeliness of this happening is null. Even if licensing issues for certain games were not an issue, a Jaguar emulator for linux (AtariOS) that works to such a degree that the games could be sold to end users (one that works perfectly that is...something that does not exist on any platform) would have to be written. That is not going to happen any time soon....probably never.

It depends on the game.  Some work fine on existing linux emulators.

On 11/30/2021 at 1:30 PM, joeatari1 said:

I would love to play Supercross 3D and Kasumi Ninja on my VCS!

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 10:31 AM, Gemintronic said:

We'd have better luck convincing Reboot to release their original games via libretro and the virtual jaguar core as a wrapper.

More unique games for the VCS and we support new Jaguar development. 

I wouldn't go near libretro....

And VJ cannot be used as a wrapper due to its licensing.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 6:26 PM, Flojomojo said:

Microsoft owns DOOM and Wolfenstein 3D now. I wonder if their recent multi-platform port of Doom could work on this?

It uses Unity so that's no problem to port to the VCS, would be even nicer if they have the JagDOOM wad as an exclusive add-on level.

Of course it's up to Atari to make the phone call and pony up the licensing cash...

• 5 weeks later...

Re-releasing the good Atari Jaguar games, even if it requires Atari jumping through some hoops to get certain licensing (looking at you, Alien Vs. Predator), would be a huge boon and selling point. Atari could even re-release the Jaguar controller and guess how many of us would buy it? Probably all of us lol

At the very least, we should get Tempest 2000 and Defender 2000. Those two belong in a museum. Iron Soldier also be cool to round it out to three re-releases. If you had to re-release the three best ones that would not pose licensing issues, those are probably the three. 

Edited by YarsFan
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, YarsFan said:

Re-releasing the good Atari Jaguar games, even if it requires Atari jumping through some hoops to get certain licensing (looking at you, Alien Vs. Predator), would be a huge boon and selling point. Atari could even re-release the Jaguar controller and guess how many of us would buy it? Probably all of us lol

At the very least, we should get Tempest 2000 and Defender 2000. Those two belong in a museum. Iron Soldier also be cool to round it out to three re-releases. If you had to re-release the three best ones that would not pose licensing issues, those are probably the three. 

I think even some of the bad ones can be salvaged. Would be nice to see some of the unreleased Jaguar games and abandoned projects given new life on the VCS.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...