janzh

Fast Assembler

I was searching for an assembler to develop on original hardware. I found Fast Assembler for Sparta DOS X by Marek Goderski from MMMG Soft (Free MG) from 1995 (!!!).

I was impressed because the assembler has the following features:

• Support of SpartaDOS X and Atari DOS object files
  • Support of relocatable SpartaDOS X blocks
  • Support of SpartaDOS X symbols
  • The maximum file length of the source code and object data only depends on the file system, as it is a real file to file assembler

I ask Marek for sources but they are not available anymore but he gave the Fast Assembler to the Public Domain. So I started to disassemble it, refactored the source, wrote some examples, and add documentation with tutorial. Now I think it is a nice development package especially because JFC allowed me to add XEDIT.

https://github.com/HolgerJanz/FastAssembler

Fast Assembler is fully compatible with Quick Assembler, but is not compatible with MAC/65 or Atari Assembler Editor. The Fast Assembler syntax is supported by MADS the 6502 cross  assembler (Fast Assembler can assembled using Fast Assembler itself or MADS). MADS is available for macOS, Linux and Windows (https://github.com/tebe6502/Mad-Assembler).

So I hope other people will also have fun with this package.

To try this package be myself I have developed a game for the ABBUC Software Contest 2021:

https://github.com/HolgerJanz/VARIUS

Everything was developed using an Atari 800XL with Ultimate 1MB upgrade and Side3. The emulator Atari800MacX was only used to test the package on different configurations.

Regards

Holger

BTW - Next step is to port it to SpartaDOS 3 compatible so one can cross develop from SpartaDOS 3 to X and vice versa.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Might want to offer the .ATR in a couple more formats... SSSD SSDD, the current DSDD image is very nice. Many SpartaDOS 3.xx users have USD1050's so SSDD is a natural fit.

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Might want to offer the .ATR in a couple more formats... SSSD SSDD, the current DSDD image is very nice. Many SpartaDOS 3.xx users have USD1050's so SSDD is a natural fit.

I added different packages:

FA.ATR - SSSD - Executable, Man Page, and Examples

FA_with_Docs.ATR - SSDD - plus Documentation

FA_with_Docs_and_Sources.ATR - DSDD - complete

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, kenames99 said:

excellent! if you need or want any help with the SpartaDOS 3 port just let me know.

Ken

Hi Kenn,

Help would be great. The sources of FA are already prepared. FA.ASM contains the SpartaDOS X dependent part. The idea is to create a new file FA3.COM (and maybe rename FA.ASM to FAX.ASM).  Here the Reloc block will be changed to DOS block and for all SpartaDOS X symbol new subroutines must be implemented, e.g. FOPEN, PRINTF etc. Just drop me a PM for further details and discussion. My favorite SpartaDOS 3 compatible DOS is BW-DOS (it does not use RAM under OS and still has a MEMLO around $2000). I started to disassemble it and tweak it, too.

https://github.com/HolgerJanz/BW-DOS 

Holger

oh man, that's cool. bw-dos src. I offered help because I am a core maintainer of realdos which is sprtados 3.2 compatible. I am currently really busy, hope to be unshackeled soon but going to be about 2 weeks yet. I will download your code and start getting up to speed on it.

Ken