IGNORED

Do you prefer playing the 2600 on an original or using emulators or flashbacks

vintageatari

2 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

I have to admit, hooked one of my 2600's up to a flat screen and I'm not hating it. I mean, I love my CRT set up but...looks kind of nice on the HD. 

I know this will sound blasphemous to those that only use emulation, but I have to have scan lines. I’ve turned them on for the VCS Vault games as well as, each of the emulators.  I don’t like the “flat” look of the sprites.  I do love S-Video on my 14” Toshiba CRT, via @-^CrossBow^- modded 7800.  He does great work!

• Like 1

OG Hardware and flash carts.

The software is the expensive part.  Disc based ps1 to now, are about what I'm willing to pay.

Forget about NES carts.

for the 2600, I used to be able to buy in lots of 25-50 for $1-2 a piece with shipping.

Not any more.

Have a 2600 with RGB mod form Tim Worthing - worth every penny.

And use a Harmony cart with it.

My NES Is the "NES Super 8"  by low_budget. On a SONY PVM with RGB.

I've had the NES HDMI by kevtris too. looked great on plasma and good lcds.

I have several original 2600 systems, (mostly the 4-switch / 6-switch variety, a 32" CRT, and 100 or so games. Still need to buy a Harmony cart and a PlusCart.

I have Stella of course, and have dabbled in other emulators with different video capture capabilities. 

Of the Flashbacks,  I have AFB 1, 2, (6 or 7), and X.

Also have used Atari emulators for PSP, GBA, and probably other systems I can ot remember.

I usually prefer the emulator on a laptop. If I had a dedicated game room, with all my retro systems hooked up, I might prefer the real system on a CRT. This would doubly be true with a flashcart, since it would be nice to use the PlusCart's PlusROM high score feature, or the AtariVOX. The laptop is always available which is a nice plus, and doesnt hog the TV.

I have used the AFB2 for paddle game on occasion,  because mouse=>paddle emulation isn't great. There are no predefined stops, and dialing in the sensitivity, and having a proper surface to move the mouse over isn't great. I have thought of hacking a cartridge port on a AFB2, but I have heard that the compatibility isnt great, maybe 70-80% with the original library, and considerably worse for homebrews. The 40 built in games are ok, but quickly you go looking for more variety.

I have really enjoyed all the work @Draxxon, and @rocketfan, and @Brad_from_the_80s put into making the AFB9 / AFBX into a versatile emulator platform. It is my go to platform since I can quickly boot up and play 2600, or ATARI 800 games (also plays other platforms too, but I really only use it for those two). I love the form factor of the AFBX, and like using an original controller on occasion. I do feel like there is some lag introduced by my HDTV (tried Game mode setting, but still feels a little slow), but most of the games I play don't require extreme precision.

There are also solutions like FPGA systems,  which are a form of emulation,  just at the circuit level. These are usually expensive,  and many times they are closed systems.

If I were to rate them...

10/10 PlusCart, Original Hardware, CRT. (Instant access to new homebrew roms through WiFi, HSC support), no lag

9/10 Harmony, Original Hardware, CRT. Requires updating SDcard yourself, from time to time.

8/10 AFBX, HDTV, thumb drive. Multiple system emulators, original controls (or genesis pads), frequent updates, most games supported (Galagon and other recent games won't play full speed). Kind of laggy, especially with paddle games. 

8/10 Stella (Gopher emulator) Laptop. Almost perfect emulation, almost all games supported. Best if you want to develop your own games using Atari Dev Studio (MS Visual Studio Code)

7/10 AFB2, CRT. Cheap, about $10-$20. Only 40 games, unless you hack a cart port and buy a Harmony,  and still wont be 100% compatible. 

7/10 Nintendo DS lite. There is now a simple software hack that opens all DSlite to play unsigned code (including homebrew). The NDS lite is a great little handle held (and cheap, about $20)  perfect for emulation. Other handhelds would be good choices too, depending upon what else you wanted to emulate. Small screen is a drawback, but portable is a plus.

7/10 FPGAs. Expensive. Probably  better off getting an original system.

6/10 Atari Flashback Portable.  I understand some game ROMs had to be edited to make them compatible with the portable.

• Like 1

I have too many atari 2600s and when I get bored I rotate. They all have pros and cons. I try to enjoy them all. I have a 4 switch 2600, 2600 jr small rainbow, atari pi from microcenter, retron77, AFB1, three AFB2s (final revision board), AFB4 Special Edition, AFB8 Gold Activision Edition, AFB9HD, AFB9Gold, AFBX (2019), AFBXD (2020), Atari Vault 1&2 on steam with the Euro progressive joystick and stella on the PC. Clearly I try to stay on a budget. The price is a big factor for me. OG Hardware is best for hardcore gaming, records and high scores. But it can add up. $$$ (Full disclaimer, as one of the guys who hacks the flashbacks, I have to have all the versions so I can test stuff. And "borrow" BG Menus and Music and "stuff" from other systems.)

I mostly play the AFBX. Its better than the AFB9. Turns out the SD Card slot sucks. OTG is better. TBH I never really play 2600 on the Flashback X anymore. mostly watch movies, like Cloak & Dagger, or listen to chip tunes while I mod stuff, or play Atari 8-bit, 7800, even BASIC stuff is fun. I'm usually checking out whatever homebrew is new. Bottom line, the AFB9/X is best only for "tinkering" with it, really, IMO. I was really into modding the mini consoles, and I really like Atari. So when the X came out, I wanted it to have a cool "mod my classic" project as well. And you know what they say, if you really want something, do it yourself. (And with the help of LOTS of others, lol. :P )

But to really answer the question, I prefer the ease of emulation over the stack of carts and a CRT. Mainly because, "Been there, done that". I really want to experience whatever is new, and all its flaws. I have some original consoles if I want to play Kaboom, tho. :)  Strictly 2600.... Stella on PC or Retron77 is the way to go. Flashbacks are cheap dollar store plug and plays that have issues, but, are basically running the equivalent of retroarch. Now it can support a lot of stuff.  I mean, you can play Atari arcade games via mame now. Its fun over accuracy, if that makes sense. For instance, you know PC w/ stella or Retron clearly beats a flashback at 2600, so, lets add all the 8-bit, 7800, 5200, and lynx and Arcade games we can to the Flashbacks, because it will run them.

I have gone from thinking the 2600 version of donkey kong was arcade like as a small child, to thinking nes ports were as good as it could get, to thinking PS1 Mortal Kombat 3 was arcade perfect (disclaimer, it wasn't), to tekken tag tournament on PS1 being better than arcade perfect, to emulator "ports" being a literal step behind real hardware. It been all over the place my whole life, as has been my perspective on it. I try to keep moving with the times and enjoy it all in the present.

Edited by Draxxon

11 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

I know this will sound blasphemous to those that only use emulation, but I have to have scan lines. I’ve turned them on for the VCS Vault games as well as, each of the emulators.

I do the same, or use some other filter that gives a more CRT look

• Like 2

I have Stella on my laptop (of course), but it’s more for game development and occasionally playing when I’m away from home. If I’m really going to sit down and play some Atari, I do it in front of a TV. Either with my light sizer and PlusCart on a CRT or with a Retron77 on an HDTV.

4 hours ago, Draxxon said:

I have some original consoles if I want to play Kaboom, tho. :)

^ THIS

This is wisdom for the ages to be passed down to the next generation.

Between paddles being imperfect on the emulators, with even one frame of emulator lag, real Kaboom! (or @SpiceWare's Kaboom! Deluxe!) requires OG hardware. And don't even think about @Thomas Jentzsch's more evil Sadoom!+ version without a real console!

Related, if using a digital video processor/scaler make sure it is locked to the Atari console frame rate, meaning turn off triple buffering in RetroTINK-5X Pro or turn on sync mode auto on an XRGB-mini Framemeister. OSSC and RetroTINK-2X products like the 2X-MINI, 2X-Pro, and 2X-Multiformat only deinterlace/multiply lines without scaling so have no lag by design. Even 1 frame of lag seems to make all the difference!

59 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Hmm...I'll have to look more closely at the settings within Stella, A7800 and Altirra to see if there are further filters I can apply.  -Thanks.

Not sure about vanilla stella itself,  but if you run it through RetroArch, then you have access to all sorts of other filters.

• Thanks 1

I play on an un-modded 2600 Jr with a Harmony Encore hooked to a 42 inch Vizio TV. I have a small CRT, but the Big Vizio works just fine. I have a flashback or two laying around somewhere, but I never use them. I do sometimes play the games that will run on the old PSP emulator, if I'm away from the house and bored.

While I find emulators convenient, enjoyable, and get the job done especially when traveling or out of the house, I find that there is something missing versus using the actual hardware.

The 2600 is a system that encourages / requires you to physically interact with the actual console (difficulty switches, reset, game selection, cart, controller selection/connection) whereas later console did it most of it with 1 game pad.  I think that is what I find that I miss when emulating, the interaction.

Plus watching a 45 year old product come on and work when you flip the switch is just cool.

• Like 4

I'm a fan of original hardware. I like joysticks and paddles so much better than d-pads. And sometimes the emulators don't get the sound right. But I'm just happy when people play old games at all!

And if you are looking for an excuse to play 2600 games, try beating the 444 challenges of AtariQuest and show the world you are the greatest Atari player of all time! https://atariquest.blogspot.com

16 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

I know this will sound blasphemous to those that only use emulation, but I have to have scan lines. I’ve turned them on for the VCS Vault games as well as, each of the emulators.  I don’t like the “flat” look of the sprites.  I do love S-Video on my 14” Toshiba CRT, via @-^CrossBow^- modded 7800.  He does great work!

Nah, I totally get it. I don't really have any emulators but I do have a "Sega Genesis collection" on the Nintendo Switch that has a scanline option. It's also lets you adjust the "curvature" of the TV, thought that was a neat little feature.

I do strongly, and I repeat strongly prefer CRT's...but, I really didn't mind the flat screen pic as much as I thought I would. Some games seemed a little too dark though.

2 hours ago, AtariSphinx said:

The 2600 is a system that encourages / requires you to physically interact with the actual console (difficulty switches, reset, game selection, cart, controller selection/connection) whereas later console did it most of it with 1 game pad.  I think that is what I find that I miss when emulating, the interaction.

Couldn't agree more.  

Space Shuttle.jpg

Communist Mutants From Space.jpg

• Like 2

I've always preferred the nostalgia of an original console on a CRT to emulation.

When going for high scores, I like the better responsiveness of the controllers on the original console.  With an emulator, I'm either playing with a keyboard, or when using a joystick through a USB interface, there seems to be just enough lag to negatively impact my game play.  For several games, I cannot earn a score on an emulator anywhere near what I can score on an original console.  Since the difference is in the responsiveness of the controller, I don't mind using a flash cart and have not gone out of my way to build a collection of cartridges.

The one place where an emulator is an advantage is when travelling.  Even if I pack my console, I also have to pack a small CRT TV since most hotel room TVs either won't take the RF signal or they don't provide an original remote with the TV so I can configure the tuner to display channel 3.  I'm not ready to mod the console I've had for nearly 40 years, although at some point I may purchase a 2600JR which has been modded for travel.

I have a Flashback (I think it's a Flashback 2 - I've not played on it for quite some time).  I didn't mind the game play on this system, but seldom play on it now since scores on it aren't recognized by Twin Galaxies.

Edited by kermit73
Cleaned up typos and grammar.
  • Like 1

My entire Atari collection has been in storage since 1998. I have recently moved cross-country, so I am now geographically much closer to it, but I have not had a chance to retrieve it from the storage facility. Consequently, I have no choice but to use emulation. 

Frankly, it is also more convenient to be able to play a quick game on my phone while I am waiting somewhere than to always be tethered to the large CRT TV in my bedroom. (And yes, I have retained a dedicated gaming TV.) 

I have many different atari setups.

- 4 consoles (one modded), always 1 connected to a non crt screen plus around 60 physical games and a harmony card

- stella on windows, while using original controllers via "daptor"

- a flashback portable is what I use while beeing away from home

- and different "just for fun" solutions like a Nintendo 3ds using a r4 card and emulator

To answer the question : I prefer the feeling of the original hardware. Swapping the games by hand is part of the experience for me. There's nothing like playing "video olympics" with a friend using paddles and sitting in front of the original hardware and a big screen. (I don't like playing on small handheld displays much)