IGNORED

So is there a chance? (Activision retro etc.)

jbmindtrick

Looking forward to receiving my VCS in the next few days. I backed one, backed out, had FOMO and then bought one anyways. Just going through sites as much as I can. So many of my favorite Atari 2600 games came from Activision-Pitfall, Enduro, Chopper Command, Grand Prix, Kaboom! just to name a few. Do we have any chance of seeing them or other Publishers on the system or am I just dreaming?

Edited by justclaws
adjusted title for clarity

12 hours ago, jbmindtrick said:

Looking forward to receiving my VCS in the next few days. I backed one, backed out, had FOMO and then bought one anyways. Just going through sites as much as I can. So many of my favorite Atari 2600 games came from Activision-Pitfall, Enduro, Chopper Command, Grand Prix, Kaboom! just to name a few. Do we have any chance of seeing them or other Publishers on the system or am I just dreaming?

Hard to say due to the low sales of the Atari VCS compared to others.    There is always a chance, but it will probably be IF Activision rereleased their classics on multiplatform and included the Atari VCS.   The Atari Vault and Vault 2 are nice, but definitely missing third party hits.   There are ways though of adding your favorite games to the VCS going the PC mode route.  

Who knows?   Activision is such a big company now that doing such a small release doesn't seem worth their time.   It doesn't look like there's been an Activision Anthology release since 2012 on mobile.  

I've heard rumblings that Atari may open up AtariOS more to make it easier to install your own content,  but unless/until that happens, there's always PC Mode, you could run something like Batocera that brings many emulators in a console-like experience.

It seems it would be fairly easy for a port shop to bring over the Activision Classics release from the PSP/PS2 era for modern consoles including VCS, but I think there are two main issues:

- Activision is too big at the moment to care: There would have to be some kind of internal interest in the classic titles, and there just isn't at the moment. Even without the controversies rocking Activision Blizzard, they focus on big games and the profit potential is relatively small for them. 

- Music licensing: The Activision Classics on PSP at least had a soundtrack that was licensed back in the era of Activision doing lots of music games, and having to re-license is probably a non-starter.

So, they'd either have to launch a new product or get the old product stripped down and rebuilt, and I just don't see them caring in the short term.

From a couple of informal conversations I've had, I think Atari are keen to have other retro
publishers like Activision, on board for VCS, even for 2600 games, but licensing is the issue.

Activision probably want dramatically more than Atari can offer, for the return expected.

I'm personally quite unhappy with Activision, beyond their current problems, I mean, in that
having bought the Activision pack for Android, some years ago, when Android was updated,
they never updated the app, and never offered an alternative, or responded usefully I think.

If Android is not a big enough platform for Activision to bother with, I guess Atari isn't.
This package would be a great VCS companion to the Atari Vault 1 and 2, but it's dead.
For Activision to basically abandon this on Android, seemed crazy, but it seems they did.
It's no longer even listed in the Android store. It's as if it never existed these days.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah I get it's not cost effective for a large company like Activision to concern itself with Anthologies which probably amount to breadcrumbs on their balance sheet.

But I wonder if they'd consider selling off their classic catalog to a smaller entity that is interested in monetizing it, since it isn't doing much for Activision at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzip said:

Yeah I get it's not cost effective for a large company like Activision to concern itself with Anthologies which probably amount to breadcrumbs on their balance sheet.

But I wonder if they'd consider selling off their classic catalog to a smaller entity that is interested in monetizing it, since it isn't doing much for Activision at this point.

What everyone is saying is reality, but reality sucks and in the words of Fox Mulder, "I want to believe." I know Activision has a bad taste in everyone's mouth right now (as it should). I agree with you in that I would be hopeful that Atari would want to go after these kind of IPs to resurrect the Atari brand from its hey day (a tall task I know). If not I would push Activision to co-brand to create a Retro Type Studio that's independent and spin it off or sell it to leverage those properties because sadly they will never be seen or heard from again otherwise. Nostalgia is big and Atari has a small window of opportunity to try and bring as much as they can under one roof. First task is install base and that is done through content, unique propositions, clever marketing socially. As a 50+ year old who grew up and adored my 2600 and there is nothing I want more than to play these games how they were meant to be played-with a joystick and a big red button. I am indifferent about the PC part (never played PC games and don't need one) and to be honest I am fairly indifferent to even loading up Steam, Luna, etc.. as my Switch gives me all of that and more. No need for PS5 Xbox for me. Atari is right to abandon iOS/Android. If they want to create value proposition with VCS then they need to burn the ship and go all out. A logo and some tweets isn't going to do it. I digressed but so much opportunity that I feel is just going to fade away and sadly so will my childhood.

PS. I want Demon Attack as well, that game was the game that defined who was the best video game player between me and my brothers when we were younger (alas it was not me, but I want my revenge)....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jbmindtrick said:

So many of my favorite Atari 2600 games came from Activision-Pitfall, Enduro, Chopper Command, Grand Prix, Kaboom! just to name a few. Do we have any chance of seeing them or other Publishers on the system or am I just dreaming?

I forgot to point out, your modern VCS supports Antstream Arcade, which has many old VCS titles to play.
However, not Activision games.

It does, however, have a huge library (over 1250) of games, including many computing platforms.
A recent addition is MSX games titles, and for me, as a Brit, it's great to have ZX Spectrum games!

Let's hope in-time, Activision/Blizzard  can get their house in order, and think about their Atari legacy!

15 hours ago, jbmindtrick said:

What everyone is saying is reality, but reality sucks and in the words of Fox Mulder, "I want to believe." I know Activision has a bad taste in everyone's mouth right now (as it should). I agree with you in that I would be hopeful that Atari would want to go after these kind of IPs to resurrect the Atari brand from its hey day (a tall task I know). If not I would push Activision to co-brand to create a Retro Type Studio that's independent and spin it off or sell it to leverage those properties because sadly they will never be seen or heard from again otherwise. Nostalgia is big and Atari has a small window of opportunity to try and bring as much as they can under one roof. First task is install base and that is done through content, unique propositions, clever marketing socially. As a 50+ year old who grew up and adored my 2600 and there is nothing I want more than to play these games how they were meant to be played-with a joystick and a big red button. I am indifferent about the PC part (never played PC games and don't need one) and to be honest I am fairly indifferent to even loading up Steam, Luna, etc.. as my Switch gives me all of that and more. No need for PS5 Xbox for me. Atari is right to abandon iOS/Android. If they want to create value proposition with VCS then they need to burn the ship and go all out. A logo and some tweets isn't going to do it. I digressed but so much opportunity that I feel is just going to fade away and sadly so will my childhood.

PS. I want Demon Attack as well, that game was the game that defined who was the best video game player between me and my brothers when we were younger (alas it was not me, but I want my revenge)....

Yeah, it's why I have an emulator setup running in PC mode on my VCS dual-boot..  So I can have my old games regardless of license/business dealings.  

It's ironic that Activision is hard to get now since they were one of the first to this market..  I bought the Activision Anthology CD-ROM way back in 95!

• Like 2

One positive thought is that if Activision Blizzard aims to improve its brand image it might well look back to the days of its classic games as a PR move of sorts, and if there was a team either internally or maybe some kind of Evercade-like group that could get something going with corporate maybe there could be a release of the classics. They'd have to strip out the old compilation music but they could probably re-use the trailers and materials. 

• Like 1

Activision doesn't seem interested in revisiting its very old games. They've done so many times in the past, but not recently. They've probably wrung all the juice out of that particular orange. The closest thing I can think of is the Atari Flashback 8, which had a special Activision edition in a black box and lots of Activision games. They're still on Ebay, at high prices in my opinion. 

Variations on that Activision Anthology have been on GBA, PS2, and PSP. The disc-based systems had a fun 80s soundtrack like that of Vice City. I liked the mobile version too, but it was abandoned, along with the Infocom Masterpieces collections, which Activision also owns. Those haven't been re-issued, either. My preference as a consumer would be for them to just put these old games into the public domain if they're not commercially viable, especially if they're not going to make them available in a way for people to buy them. 

Wasn't VCS supposed to "demystify emulation?" Is there an Atari emulator in the VCS store?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, justclaws said:

I'm personally quite unhappy with Activision, beyond their current problems, I mean, in that
having bought the Activision pack for Android, some years ago, when Android was updated,
they never updated the app, and never offered an alternative, or responded usefully I think.

If Android is not a big enough platform for Activision to bother with, I guess Atari isn't.
This package would be a great VCS companion to the Atari Vault 1 and 2, but it's dead.
For Activision to basically abandon this on Android, seemed crazy, but it seems they did.
It's no longer even listed in the Android store. It's as if it never existed these days.

If you previously bought the in-app purchases, I wonder if this would work? https://m.apkpure.com/activision-anthology/com.activision.anthology

(be careful with installing APKs from strange sources ... might want to put it into an Android emulator first to check it. Atari emulator in an Android emulator ....)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Variations on that Activision Anthology have been on GBA, PS2, and PSP. The disc-based systems had a fun 80s soundtrack like that of Vice City. I liked the mobile version too, but it was abandoned, along with the Infocom Masterpieces collections, which Activision also owns. Those haven't been re-issued, either. My preference as a consumer would be for them to just put these old games into the public domain if they're not commercially viable, especially if they're not going to make them available in a way for people to buy them. 

I like what GoG does with old DOS/Windows games..   makes them available for modern systems for a low price (they ship with an embedded emulator when necessary)  I wish someone would do something similar  for non-DOS/Win games

6 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Is there an Atari emulator in the VCS store?

There is currently a 7800 emulator as well as DOSbox.   Presumably Atari plans to make DOS games available but they haven't done so yet.    So far they haven't released other emulators other than the ones embedded in the Atari Vault products.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Activision doesn't seem interested in revisiting its very old games. They've done so many times in the past, but not recently. They've probably wrung all the juice out of that particular orange.

I'm sure at the time they felt they had milked it to death, but it's been almost 10 years since the last release and those games aren't available for modern systems, so they may have an opportunity to milk it again.

15 minutes ago, zzip said:

There is currently a 7800 emulator as well as DOSbox.   Presumably Atari plans to make DOS games available but they haven't done so yet.    So far they haven't released other emulators other than the ones embedded in the Atari Vault products.

Does the 7800 emulator in the VCS store allow you to bring your own ROMs? Or are you referring to the Flashback Friday $3 games?

8 minutes ago, zzip said:

I'm sure at the time they felt they had milked it to death, but it's been almost 10 years since the last release and those games aren't available for modern systems, so they may have an opportunity to milk it again.

Yeah, maybe so. Then again, the games aren't getting any younger, nor are the people who liked them the first time around. I don't think Atari-era games present themselves as well to younger audiences as NES and beyond. Activision must have some sales or marketing data to help guide these decisions. 

I'd buy an Activision 2600 collection, but I solemnly swear it would be the LAST time I do. It belongs on Atari VCS (and Steam, and the console stores) but I'd prefer it on Nintendo Switch. The Atari Vault team would do a nice job with it if given the chance. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Does the 7800 emulator in the VCS store allow you to bring your own ROMs? Or are you referring to the Flashback Friday $3 games?

Officially it is for the Flashback Friday  games,  there was someone here posting instructions on how to add your own content to it (apparently it is not just the 7800 emu but the full MAME?)  Hopefully Atari makes it easier to BYO roms, but we will see.

7 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Yeah, maybe so. Then again, the games aren't getting any younger, nor are the people who liked them the first time around. I don't think Atari-era games present themselves as well to younger audiences as NES and beyond. Activision must have some sales or marketing data to help guide these decisions. 

I'd buy an Activision 2600 collection, but I solemnly swear it would be the LAST time I do. It belongs on Atari VCS (and Steam, and the console stores) but I'd prefer it on Nintendo Switch. The Atari Vault team would do a nice job with it if given the chance. 

No gamers aren't getting younger, but I also think people rebuy these collections multiple times on different platforms, like they rebought their favorite albums when they came out on 8-track/cassette/CD/Digital

I'm pretty leery of cash grabs, but even I must've bought the Activision collection at least 3 times (Windows 3.1, Gameboy Advance, Android).  I also have several versions of the Atari collections and Midway/Namco collections on different platforms.    So I think they could sell a bunch if they released it widely (PS4/PS5/Xbox/Switch/Apple TV/Steam/Mobile/VCS/Amico/etc)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Switch has an Atari Flashback Classics game that came out 2 years ago. 150 different games across 2600, 5200 as well as Arcade editions for $36 on Amazon. It's a great collection with challenges using the Switch controls, although the Pro controller works much better in my opinion. Been playing that as I patiently wait for my VCS to come. Lots of great games but it's no Activision 2600 collection like I really want.

71wU1609OLL._SL1500_.jpg

9 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Yes, it’s a nice collection. The Atari Vault you’ll get on VCS is largely the same thing. An Activision add-on would be a good way to handle it if the business deciders got their act together. 

If you or others feel strongly about this, why not write to Activision and tell them?

I agree completely, those games are solely missing on this thing. I have a hard time believing that Activision, especially at this moment, wouldn't be interested in a trip around memory lane to remind people their brand is pure at heart and connected to classic gaming. Also financially, it's dumb to overlook an easy cash grab. They would simply have to mildly update the Activision Arcade collection for the VCS (music, maybe graphic support, controller formatting, etc), and set a price. Even if they only charged the $9.99 that Atari does (they're a premium company so could probably charge like $12.99 or more) for their collection they could easily sell between (at least) 8-11k copies on the VCS and make a decent amount of money. License or no license, it's still about a hundred thousand dollars or so just sitting on the table, and renewed goodwill with classic gaming fans. It's a move they should make. 

Also, I can't recall the exact passage or comment but I feel like Michaelt Artzt spoke to this a bit in his last long interview about the VCS. He said something about their interest in getting access to classic gaming titles and I naturally inferred he was talking about Activision. Maybe I was mistaken on that but I agree, a whisper becomes a roar if we can draw attention to the VCS audience's interest in such a collection. 

Activision's will to offer those games and play ball with Atari, though, is an open question. 

• Like 2