IGNORED

Atari 2600 AV Mod Poor Picture

Kog1984

I have a Atari 2600 v16 Vader NTSC I have done transistors mod am getting a terrible picture

I have replaced the capacitors, voltage regulator and removed 75ohm from av mod new switch mode power supply

Spent few days on this with no real progress seeing what you guys think 

IMG-20211130-WA0003.jpeg

I recently acquired a system where the capacitor that someone had replaced was the wrong value.  Double check your capacitor values especially the one next to the voltage regulator 

Also check the condition of the older solder joints for any cracked / missing ones.

Do you have another power supply or can you try that power supply on another known working system?

Edited by AtariSphinx
Updated wording

14 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

Vader is still the two board setup right?  What's the condition of the cable that connects the two boards?

Where did you place the mod board?

How close is your Atari to other devices that might be creating interference?

No it is a single board, 1m front tv, router ect

11 hours ago, AtariSphinx said:

I recently acquired a system where the capacitor that someone had replaced was the wrong value.  Double check your capacitor values especially the one next to the voltage regulator 

Also check the condition of the older solder joints for any cracked / missing ones.

Do you have another power supply or can you try that power supply on another known working system?

I have replaced the capacitors with .22uf mylar have also reflow half the solder joints on the board, I have other systems using same power supply dont show the wavy lines as scene in first picture

1 hour ago, manterola said:

What about the A/V cable? can you try another one of better quality, or proven in other systems?

I have ordered an av ofc cable, video cable I am using is very good quality from professional audio cable no interference on other systems with same cable

On 12/4/2021 at 12:17 AM, ChildOfCv said:

Does the interference pattern change with sound?  Does moving the mod board around change the pattern?

I will try, I noticed before the interference seems more pronounced without the audio leads connected, thinking leaky cap just not sure where have replaced (c201 c214 , c241, c242) c243 esr is fine. Have ordered some pcb & chips to try longhorn s video mod hoping it's a better than the transistor mod ?

That seems to indicate that there is a broken connection somewhere in the video output.  You're basically getting antenna-strength signal to the TV instead of the 1V it should be, and the TV has to amplify it along with any noise that comes with it.  I'd check continuity between the TV end of the cable and the transistor output pin.

34 minutes ago, ChildOfCv said:

That seems to indicate that there is a broken connection somewhere in the video output.  You're basically getting antenna-strength signal to the TV instead of the 1V it should be, and the TV has to amplify it along with any noise that comes with it.  I'd check continuity between the TV end of the cable and the transistor output pin.

On my multimeter am getting 2.5dc or .5v ac on video output unfortunately dont have a scope to look at the signals

• 1 month later...