IGNORED

Modern VCS Owners Geographical Survey (Ongoing)

justclaws

Modern VCS Owners - Geographical Survey (Ongoing)  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you living, as an actual modern VCS owner?

• The USA
    • Oceana (Australia, New Zealand etc.)
    • Canada
    • Continental Europe (EU or not)
    • The UK or Ireland/Eire
    • Central or South America
    • Asia
    • Africa
    • N/A - not a modern VCS owner

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

While the console is not available in Europe or the UK, we represent more than a quarter of the owners while it was released in Oceania and it did not find its audience there or the owners did not find this survey. I think a European release would boost sales but first Atari has to fix some problems that affect some users and add functions so that the release is not marred by bad remarks. 

Edited by RadiATIon
  • Like 2

On 2/18/2022 at 6:52 AM, RadiATIon said:

While the console is not available in Europe or the UK, we represent more than a quarter of the owners while it was released in Oceania and it did not find its audience there or the owners did not find this survey. I think a European release would boost sales but first Atari has to fix some problems that affect some users and add functions so that the release is not marred by bad remarks. 

That does not surprise me at all, I think I'm correct in saying Atari made 75% of it's money in Europe from the late 80's onwards.  A lot of games and demos etc appeared to come from this side of the pond (UK, Germany and even Poland), it seemed like an odd choice for Atari to not release the VCS over here.  Since it's only on a limited retail release (mostly) in the US, maybe Atari is doing all the beta testing and getting all the bugs sorted out over there, before it goes to global release and reaches us.  ;-)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Vote submitted - Northern Delaware, USA.  I got the Onyx All-In bundle.  Tried to score it from the Game Stop fire sale for $99, but ultimately snagged one off of Ebay for $200.  Still worth it at that price.  Using it predominantly as an emulation machine/streaming device, ATM.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The no-Europe release is also strange given Atari is technically based in France now.

What bothers me most though is that the total number of responses is less than 100. I wish more VCS owners existed in general, and I wish more were active here given I'm sure there are far more than 100 existing owners.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 11:33 PM, cubanismo said:

The no-Europe release is also strange given Atari is technically based in France now.

What bothers me most though is that the total number of responses is less than 100. I wish more VCS owners existed in general, and I wish more were active here given I'm sure there are far more than 100 existing owners.

The poll merely reflects people in this sub-forum, there are probably many VCS owners who will never think to join AtariAge, so I wouldn't read too much into it.   (But I'd have done the poll differently, listing by continent and removing the irrelevant 'N/A' option.)

..and yeah, not having the VCS released in Europe was a major mistake, I believe it would have been accepted much better here.

Edited by THX-1138
typos
  • Like 1

I finally got mine a few days ago. Seems that it already got a growing fan base even here in europe.

I assume it will be available in great numbers at ejagfest 2023. ^^ 

Maybe this is a carrot to see you again in person @justclaws at ejagfest. ;)

Got mine from ebay.com for way too much money. It's the onyx all in bundle. And I'm based in Germany. 

• Like 4

Got a VCS Onyx off eBay, and I've been pleasantly surprised. I'd originally planned to use it for emulation and Steam games, but the kids and I have had a much better time playing the Recharged titles (on co-op) and multiplayer Vault titles like Warlords.

The experience in AtariOS has been very smooth. The logic of the Recharged titles, and of Atari titles in general, also works really well with little kids -- the games are easy to learn, and each game itself is short, but the level of challenge is still there for adult players. That makes it a very good console for family gaming. Like the 2600, it's great for co-op and and a deal less fun playing solo.

The biggest problem is that there aren't that many games. Being able to dual-boot addresses that, but not elegantly. As a user, I'd love to see access to Steam libraries or emulators directly from AtariOS, but it's hard to imagine that happening. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

US owner in IA; vote recorded. I have the All In bundle plus a 2nd modern controller wrapped up for Hanukkristmas. It’s a gift to the family, all two of us, so it hasn’t actually been used yet. 

If there’s desire to see age distribution, as one comment suggested, I’m 39/male and she is 30. We are both gamers, fwiw, though I’m generally more the “retro gamer” than her. 

As an aside…new account, but not a stranger to the site. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2022 at 1:09 AM, Atari Dogs said:

Bought a used Onyx model from eBay.  I think it was from a pawnshop.  Only the console, power cord, and modern controller.  I still need to find the joystick controller at a good price.

Atari is currently having a holiday sale. The Classic controller is 20% off:

https://atari.com/products/classic-joystick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 1:26 PM, gespy said:

Vote submitted - Continental Europe (Netherlands)

Atari VCS 800 Black Walnut All In Bundle

Bought during the holiday sale. Then had it sent to Europe via an intermediary company.

I made a video explaining how I imported the VCS to Europe.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Original backer here and have two VCS consoles.  I got the Onyx 800 version from Indiegogo as well as picked up two other all in one bundle(holiday 2022) when they went on sale.   I gifted one to a friend of mine.   USA owner here that lives in Washington State

• Like 1