IGNORED

Ghosts 'n Goblins and Night Knight new games

Philsan

@mksmith

I looked at a C64 GnG 2015 playthrough… it had all the levels of the arcade, - not just 4. 

It seemed to mimic the arcade very tightly.

Are you planning on getting all levels, weapons, scenes into your 7800-port…?

(if that would be possible; totally awesome…)

- - -

What I meant by my previous post was simply; if making it possible for Arthur to throw 2 weapons at a time, - and that would cause possible slowdowns; then perhaps, as enemies are taken out , have new ones appear more quickly.

Lets say there could be 2 or 3 zombies on-screen, and Arthur throwing 2 weapons in a row; as soon as one zombie is destroyed, another immediatly pops out of the ground.

Something like thst.

Anyway; good luck with all this!!

• Like 1

@Giles N thanks mate lots of good suggestions there!

Yeah the 2015 rework is amazing - hopefully that gives me something to work towards - If I can get anywhere near that that would be incredible but it's going to take quite some time. 

Scrolling is not easy on the 7800 so will need to work through some options to improve that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mksmith said:

@Giles N thanks mate lots of good suggestions there!

Yeah the 2015 rework is amazing - hopefully that gives me something to work towards - If I can get anywhere near that that would be incredible but it's going to take quite some time. 

Scrolling is not easy on the 7800 so will need to work through some options to improve that.

Hey Matt, what you have so far looks fantastic!  No doubt it's going to take time.. you'll have to contend with scrolling in all directions right?

• Like 1

This is what I ended up with ... I've got copies of all the instruments.  I think the conversion program just places the notes without regard for instrument or track, so it doesn't sound exactly like the arcade.  But maybe with the instruments from the original vgm added we may have success.

RevEng: Can you convert this for me?

04 Ground BGM (1, 2 Stage).dmf

Edited by Synthpopalooza

11 hours ago, OldStyle said:

Hey Matt, what you have so far looks fantastic!  No doubt it's going to take time.. you'll have to contend with scrolling in all directions right?

Yeah a few of the levels go up/down as well! Need to speed some time having a play!

• Like 1

No doubt another bug. When Curt passed I pretty much packed the project away, since there were a few successful tests, and we had little chance of XM happening. It's likely some edge-case bugs exist.

Maybe try padding the dmf with an empty block, as a work-around for now. I have my hands full with other code at the moment, and until we get YM living in real hardware outside of DF, there's a long list of to-do's that are less niche.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2021 at 6:06 AM, Philsan said:

Thanks to ZeroPage Homebrew interview, Matt Smith @mksmith revealed that he's working on a conversion from C64 to Atari 7800 of Ghost's 'n Goblins (2015 version).

Latest wip file (it is even possible to test it online)

Awesome!

GnG.thumb.png.47c56ee7920776d89d8036b302963e38.png

Matt is working on the conversion of Night Knight from MSX too!

580864901_NightKnight.thumb.png.fa05fdf0dbeaf1a98445b6c5963d833e.png

Thank you very much!

Awesome! :D

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

This is not a criticism of Ghosts And Goblins, but I think that the colours' could be improved to more closely resemble the arcade game.

The grass and leaves could be brighter, and the browns less dull with lighter shades being used.

This could also be done for the sprites too.

It's still excellent work though and I hope it'll continue.

It would be cool if the H.U.D was the same as the arcade too.

20220326_223213.png

Edited by Gunther
  • Like 3

I think we need the 7800-grfx-people to come some palette-input here.

I also think the greens should be more ‘brightly green’, and browns more, uhm, well, brownish (point here is not to dark or dull, but very mid-temperate, mid-brown…)…

Perhaps … water can be reduced to mostly ‘foam’ untill palette is changed from level 1 to 2, etc…?