IGNORED

Learning to let go of your physical collection

Mikebloke

I paired down a lot in the last decade, with no regrets.

1. When my son was born, I prioritized my precious little free time, and video games just weren't getting as much of it as they used to. It made me reevaluate how much I actually used what I had. Keep what I play, sell what I don't.

2. So I kept systems I still thought I would play frequently (2600, 7800, SMS, etc).  I do still pick things up for those systems occasionally, if the price is right, or AA homebrews. I kept a few other systems that I didn't feel I could get enough to make it worth selling.  Prices have been so crazy I just don't buy much anymore. 8-10 years ago I'd get very reasonably priced 2600 and NES cartridges almost every week at the flea market, but nothing in a long time. I went to a vintage game shop here last week and it was a cool museum, tons of great stuff, but I'm not willing to pay what they want. I'd rather have a chance to retire some day.

2. I sold my collection to fund specific purchases: my home studio equipment and a couple of really nice guitars. I use these literally every day. I couldn't say the same for my Saturn collection or boxed O2... I did NOT sell my collection and just flitter away the money on junk I don't remember, it was for a purpose that was important that I get a lot of usage and value out of.

3. I was getting worried that the longer I waited, the more likely they would be to need repair and I didn't want to invest time and money in maintenance, nor risk losing what they were worth at the time.  As much as I would liked to have gotten today's prices for things, it may not have lasted, and then I'd miss out on what I bought with that money over all those years.

I've been slowly moving to emulation, too.  I really like the mini-console Flashback units for the most part.  The Inty and CV flashbacks' controllers are great, and the Genesis has a good selection of games that play well. I've almost entirely moved to emulation for vintage computers - the experience is closer and it's a lot more convenient. I still have my family's original c64, and it works, but even with an SD2IEC I play VICE.  Sold my Amiga when my ram expansion blew up, and I use Amiga Forever.  I still have my //c, but it's not booting as of a few months ago and I haven't had time to figure it out. Virtual ][ gets the time...

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 3

It’s funny, this translates well to other fields of endeavor too. Stamp and coin and baseball card collectors can just look at photos of those things. Classic car enthusiasts can just play audio of a 1933 Hudson while they drive their Taurus. Guitar players can just buy one good guitar and a solid state amp with a digital effects board and sell their vintage Gibsons and Fenders and Danelectros and their analog pedals and tube amps. Book collectors can get a Kindle. And so on. That’s a whole lot of wasted effort and money saved!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I do this too.  When I buy switch games I look to see if I can get it on GoG 1st, Steam 2nd, and sorta a third -- a disgustingly overpriced post-order window LRG release.  I also weigh the PC version on the fact it will work along with successive OS upgrades and part improvements/total PC replacements while games on the other(Switch, etc) do NOT.  So if I can get a game on PC most the time I'll only get it on there, sometimes if the Switch has it and it's cheap enough (40 or less) I may double dip.  Mostly I just want the stuff on Switch that isn't on the computer, or if I think I'd love to have a portable version of it...so I do overlap like with Strife and Quake LRG will ship eventually I'd have/do have on PC too...weighed against decent price cut sales PC gets to offset that. ;)  I own Bloodstained on GOG and Switch because I got the Switch one for $15 and the GOG release when it did its first 50% off sale.

I guess I'm semi-reformed PC, I got tired of doing the make a new PC angle that needed to happen (moore's law) every roughly 2yrs in the 90s and some of the 00s then went towards just solid console and handheld games with some PC spread within.  Now with consoles being just locked PCs making them 99% worthless to me, that's why I go the way I do now with PC+Switch as it covers all basis short of a few Sony exclusives I'm happily fine forgetting exist.

I think I mentioned my Metal Gear Solid V experience before, right? I got my PS4 on Japanese launch day specifically for Metal Gear Solid V since there was no PC version. Like 2 weeks later they announced the PC version. I decided to keep my PS4 to play exclusives that never ended up existing. Only recently have I finally found something to justify having a PS4: M2 ShotTriggers. Yes, Switch versions of some of them exist, but PS4 is the only system with all of them, as M2 has stated that they have been unable to get things like Battle Garegga functioning at an acceptable level on Switch.

Other than that and preferring physical games, my general opinion of consoles since 2005 or so is "lol consoles", but I've gotten better about it in the past few years and I'll make exceptions for things where there is basically no difference between the PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Switch versions of something or if the console launch is way earlier than the PC version. Sonic Mania is my usual example. Same game, same resolution, same frame rate (now that they patched it, anyway; Switch had drops in special stages prior to 1.04), same everything except for maybe time attack leaderboards, no matter what system it's on. Naturally, I bought it on everything but Xbox One because I don't have one of those. If I did, I'd buy it there, too. I mostly play it on Switch because of handheld mode.

Still, these consoles will eventually die, and modern consoles are not exactly known for their reliability. Once something is on PC, it lives forever or until changes to PC architecture will render it unplayable, which is why we have emulators like DOSBox, but running games from the late 90s and early 2000s on modern PCs can be annoying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

It’s funny, this translates well to other fields of endeavor too. Stamp and coin and baseball card collectors can just look at photos of those things. Classic car enthusiasts can just play audio of a 1933 Hudson while they drive their Taurus. Guitar players can just buy one good guitar and a solid state amp with a digital effects board and sell their vintage Gibsons and Fenders and Danelectros and their analog pedals and tube amps. Book collectors can get a Kindle. And so on. That’s a whole lot of wasted effort and money saved!

I’m not sure if you’re being sincere or sarcastic, but I love the minimalism of having books, comics, and magazines on Kindle. 

I don't think any of these are really the same as video games. The big difference is that video games are digital to begin with, so a proper ROM dump on a flash cart is 100% indistinguishable from a legit cart. It's the same code.

You're probably just taking a jab here, but you really can't be serious that playing an audio of an older car while driving is anything close to the same experience!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rhomaios said:

I don't think any of these are really the same as video games. The big difference is that video games are digital to begin with, so a proper ROM dump on a flash cart is 100% indistinguishable from a legit cart. It's the same code.

I’ve been playing a bunch of different systems on the Anbernic RG350 I just set up, and, man, it is ROUGH. The bits may be the same but the actual hardware is another matter. I love my Analogue systems and I’m sure MiSTers and such are great but I have been surprised to see how not far traditional emulation has come on underpowered portable devices. I want a handheld MiSTer and then we may be talking :) 

• Like 2

The problems going to happen 10 years from now when I don’t want to let go of my switch collection.

As far as I can tell it will be the last cartridge based system, which should make it extremely collectible. Although, I can see Nintendo doing cartridges for the switch 2 as well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I think I mentioned my Metal Gear Solid V experience before, right? I got my PS4 on Japanese launch day specifically for Metal Gear Solid V since there was no PC version. Like 2 weeks later they announced the PC version. I decided to keep my PS4 to play exclusives that never ended up existing. Only recently have I finally found something to justify having a PS4: M2 ShotTriggers. Yes, Switch versions of some of them exist, but PS4 is the only system with all of them, as M2 has stated that they have been unable to get things like Battle Garegga functioning at an acceptable level on Switch.

Other than that and preferring physical games, my general opinion of consoles since 2005 or so is "lol consoles", but I've gotten better about it in the past few years and I'll make exceptions for things where there is basically no difference between the PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Switch versions of something or if the console launch is way earlier than the PC version. Sonic Mania is my usual example. Same game, same resolution, same frame rate (now that they patched it, anyway; Switch had drops in special stages prior to 1.04), same everything except for maybe time attack leaderboards, no matter what system it's on. Naturally, I bought it on everything but Xbox One because I don't have one of those. If I did, I'd buy it there, too. I mostly play it on Switch because of handheld mode.

Still, these consoles will eventually die, and modern consoles are not exactly known for their reliability. Once something is on PC, it lives forever or until changes to PC architecture will render it unplayable, which is why we have emulators like DOSBox, but running games from the late 90s and early 2000s on modern PCs can be annoying.

Maybe, don't remember if I saw the MGS5 story or not but that's not a surprise.  Largely the third party games now have PC/steam(some GoG) releases and they're superior, cost less, and work across OS/part lines so it kind of negates some value towards physical, and hell if it's on GoG you get an offline installer so it could be made physical which is a plus how I see it at least.  Switch has its limits, that's why the PC has value because those it can't handle, pop up there, so it's a win-win catch all with the least amount of useful devices.  I get the laughing at consoles bit, makes sense, because they are just walled garden years old spec wise performance PCs.  My 7 1/2 year old about computer can match a PS4Pro in performance at same resolution which to me says lots.  I use primarily a 360 ms USB controller since they map all the PC games for it anyway since they're lragely just xbox-pc cross bred games easily ported between the two.  For me what sells it on Switch, their own games aside, mobility if that means my comfy chair in here, or taking it in another room, etc as comfort and privacy means a lot.

You are right modern consoles, post the GC era (Wii withstanding) are not built to last, they're built to save every penny and show it with how and where they perpetually tend to fail first.  Those older ones though that are optical like the PSone and ps2 (mini) through Gamecube+Wii they're pretty rock solid.  I don't expect a heap of 360/PS3 systems to last in huge numbers 20 years+ years on with all the corner cutting.  You're right about PC, that's why I value GoG and secondarily Steam, and even when architecture does change, you do have DOSBox, or the companys (or a third party) over on Steam(and GoG) will retool the games to get them to fire up anyway patching the things such as when the 32 to 64bit jump happened and some glitched.  Sure there are holes, but largely even the weird period games a good many can be run just fine, it's not a whole generation in the toilet like console stuff does unfortunately.

• Like 1

It’s funny, this translates well to other fields of endeavor too. Stamp and coin and baseball card collectors can just look at photos of those things. Classic car enthusiasts can just play audio of a 1933 Hudson while they drive their Taurus.

Not really because the end result is seeing the same game on the same screen with the same speakers. Doesn't really matter much what's in-between the controller and monitor/tv. The pixels are very similar if not precisely the same. And oftentimes better!

Audio recordings of car engines is something entirely different. Way way different delivery medium, different source, different vibrations. So really no comparison.

• Like 2

I do like the CRT look, the fuzzies and saturation, the artifacting and fringing. Even the texturing. But not the geometrical distortion. Defo' not the distortion!

I don't care for the over-textured Lynx look at all. And the constrast & saturation are almost non-existent. Gamewatches and LCD? So so. With Microvision being in a league all its own.

I'm originally a red LED gamer from the days of Mattel AutoRace.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Rhomaios said:

Remember, folks, you can't take it with you when you go, and 99% of the time, no one else wants "your collection" (aka, "your junk"). It'll likely be trashed or sold for peanuts unless you act now. It's just stuff, after all.

Screenshot_20220210-223151_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I mean, any classic car is a piece of garbage performance wise compared to an electric car with instantaneous torque. Vinyl sounds like crap compared to 24-bit uncompressed digital audio. But people like things for a variety of reasons, complete with imperfections. Like the man said, “There is a crack in everything; that’s how the light gets in.”

You can’t take anything with you, whether cash or real estate or stocks or cryptocurrency. 90% of the computer stuff I have I inherited from my dad. Everyone in my family has lots of heirlooms going back several generations. If you have kids, leaving them an empty house full of Ikea furniture when you die may make cleanup easy, but it won’t help them understand you or themselves better nor remember specific moments with you. If you don’t have kids or grandkids, what does it matter what you leave behind?

• Like 3

I’ve been playing a bunch of different systems on the Anbernic RG350 I just set up, and, man, it is ROUGH. The bits may be the same but the actual hardware is another matter. I love my Analogue systems and I’m sure MiSTers and such are great but I have been surprised to see how not far traditional emulation has come on underpowered portable devices. I want a handheld MiSTer and then we may be talking [emoji4] 

A handheld MiSter would be amazing. The SteamDeck will be a great handheld emulation station I’ll bet. It’s going to open some doors in that direction I think.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I love my Analogue systems and I’m sure MiSTers and such are great but I have been surprised to see how not far traditional emulation has come on underpowered portable devices. I want a handheld MiSTer and then we may be talking :) 

For "traditional" are you referring to the early 8 bit stuff from the 70's and 80's?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Keatah said:

For "traditional" are you referring to the early 8 bit stuff from the 70's and 80's?

I mean software based emulation rather than FPGA. I guess Picodrive seems fine though the sound seems harsh, but Temper/Temper CD are just awful. Also the installation experience on the RG350 and the use of a partition Windows 10 can’t even mount for the internal SD card data partition is just janky as all get out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Maybe, don't remember if I saw the MGS5 story or not but that's not a surprise.  Largely the third party games now have PC/steam(some GoG) releases and they're superior, cost less, and work across OS/part lines so it kind of negates some value towards physical, and hell if it's on GoG you get an offline installer so it could be made physical which is a plus how I see it at least.  Switch has its limits, that's why the PC has value because those it can't handle, pop up there, so it's a win-win catch all with the least amount of useful devices.  I get the laughing at consoles bit, makes sense, because they are just walled garden years old spec wise performance PCs.  My 7 1/2 year old about computer can match a PS4Pro in performance at same resolution which to me says lots.  I use primarily a 360 ms USB controller since they map all the PC games for it anyway since they're lragely just xbox-pc cross bred games easily ported between the two.  For me what sells it on Switch, their own games aside, mobility if that means my comfy chair in here, or taking it in another room, etc as comfort and privacy means a lot.

You are right modern consoles, post the GC era (Wii withstanding) are not built to last, they're built to save every penny and show it with how and where they perpetually tend to fail first.  Those older ones though that are optical like the PSone and ps2 (mini) through Gamecube+Wii they're pretty rock solid.  I don't expect a heap of 360/PS3 systems to last in huge numbers 20 years+ years on with all the corner cutting.  You're right about PC, that's why I value GoG and secondarily Steam, and even when architecture does change, you do have DOSBox, or the companys (or a third party) over on Steam(and GoG) will retool the games to get them to fire up anyway patching the things such as when the 32 to 64bit jump happened and some glitched.  Sure there are holes, but largely even the weird period games a good many can be run just fine, it's not a whole generation in the toilet like console stuff does unfortunately.

Well, prior to 7th gen, you basically had computer games, console games, handheld games of various types, and arcade games (which sometimes got home releases, but sometimes they didn't, and they were often not accurate to the arcade versions, sadly), and there was a point in having a computer and every console since every console was defined by its exclusives. Now it's just... games. It's all mostly the same now, but with increasingly few exclusives not made by Nintendo because I guess people don't like exclusives now or something. PC gets you better everything compared to consoles while having mostly the exact same games (minus Nintendo, and my beloved M2 ShotTriggers, of course), so consoles are basically entry-level and PC is enthusiast-level. Before, you wanted both consoles and PC, but now it's like why even bother with PS5/Xbox? People rush to buy the PS5 and the Xbox Series, but it's like... my PC plays exactly the same games but has a far superior controller (mouse + keyboard) and it actually has exclusives, so I don't get it.

Now this doesn't count phones or handhelds or stuff like the HyperScan, and I am very much considering getting a Series X, but for old games on the original Xbox that I missed, not new games. That's what my PC is for. Handhelds... yeah, I love handhelds. Like I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY LOVE handhelds. Why? I don't know. I just do. I always have liked them and I always will.

I just realized this is getting way off topic... anyway, physical games forever. But only the ones I want to actually play. The rest = not buying.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 3

I've never been one for handhelds in recent times. Maybe some laptop gaming with MAME - when it was a novelty in the dotcom epoch. But that didn't last long. I figure if I'm out and about away from my gaming & reading den, I'm gonna enjoy the sights and whatever it is I'm there for. Not burying my head in a device. Not even e-reading or mobile-news, aside from checking the weather.

A portable MiSTer is certainly technically doable. Not sure about the battery life or anything. Probably the reason it hasn't been tried yet is because it is so capable and versatile no one feels like crippling it with a tiny screen and tinny-sounding speaker.

So gaming at home it is. My fav emu setup is extraordinarily grand in scope and functionality. An example of elegance and refinement. Covering the most systems in the least space without sacrificing capability or versatility. And the whole gig is by default a rather standard & straightforward production, anyone can build one.

A simple SFF PC, with just enough room to implant a MiSTer and R-Pi. A basic A-B-C switch toggles the output. It's simple and fast and adaptable because everything is on standard Windows - with little to no custom menu stuff. Custom menus sometimes break when an emu gets a significant update. Or they don't accommodate certain new features.

All in all it's a potent package that I can add to and upgrade and generally improve in small blocks of time. Just the other day I spent a whole 20 minutes upgrading WinUAE, MAME, and AppleWin. That's a mere 7 minutes of maintenance for two platforms and an Arcade OS (if you wish to call MAME that)..

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

Some great posts recently thanks everyone. I'm starting to pack up things ready for my move, I only picked out another 3 of 1,500 to get rid of but that's still 3 right XD this is mostly in my early gen stuff which I'm mostly intending to keep. I'm beginning to let go of my need to keep ps1, ps2 and saturn games, so I think I'm getting ready to cull some of that too. 

I might stick some of it on marketplace tomorrow, but before anyone gets excited it's mostly unboxed and spare two or three all PAL copies. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Well, prior to 7th gen, you basically had computer games, console games, handheld games of various types, and arcade games (which sometimes got home releases, but sometimes they didn't, and they were often not accurate to the arcade versions, sadly), and there was a point in having a computer and every console since every console was defined by its exclusives. Now it's just... games. It's all mostly the same now, but with increasingly few exclusives not made by Nintendo because I guess people don't like exclusives now or something. PC gets you better everything compared to consoles while having mostly the exact same games (minus Nintendo, and my beloved M2 ShotTriggers, of course), so consoles are basically entry-level and PC is enthusiast-level. Before, you wanted both consoles and PC, but now it's like why even bother with PS5/Xbox? People rush to buy the PS5 and the Xbox Series, but it's like... my PC plays exactly the same games but has a far superior controller (mouse + keyboard) and it actually has exclusives, so I don't get it.

Now this doesn't count phones or handhelds or stuff like the HyperScan, and I am very much considering getting a Series X, but for old games on the original Xbox that I missed, not new games. That's what my PC is for. Handhelds... yeah, I love handhelds. Like I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY LOVE handhelds. Why? I don't know. I just do. I always have liked them and I always will.

I just realized this is getting way off topic... anyway, physical games forever. But only the ones I want to actually play. The rest = not buying.

Basically yeah, you get it.  In the 80s-00s you had this strong long period where each had a pretty equal distinct purpose.  Consoles until really NES felt a bit crusty basic, the PCs of the era really did it better for home, and then you got the really clean arcade stuff, and well your overly basic largely no cartridge handhelds.  90s you got a bit of a convergence that really took off once some PS1/Saturn games (even SNES) matched largely the arcade and late 90s with the DC you had matches.  Handheld held on in its happy island because mobile (java, jme, etc) were laughable until iphone took off in the 00s, and PCs still topped or bettered at least the consoles but it got murky closer and into the 00s.  At first when the PC could match, largely ports didn't happen, like it was taboo for some ridiculous reason, but when they did they topped the console still or at least matched it.  By the 2010s though handhelds had to be more distinct or fail against ios/android.  Consoles without exclusives had no real merit other than the as you said introduction level gaming pc.  The PC because largely GOG/Steam started getting a majority of the console titles, and due to the MS overlap it even got xbox360(and since) button overlays for their controllers for windows over USB too.  MS doesn't give a flip, they control windows so they don't even play the exclusivity racket really as they can capture console and pc players.  Sony is a screwy dying hold out slowly dragged into it with a few games so far, and then you have outlier Nintendo with its massive warchest and smart move to go dedicated mobile but with TV hybrid potential that works.  As you bolded, same here, ever since the 90s gaming kind of floundered I got more into handhelds than console, and that stand true now more than ever with Switch on a legit level. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Keatah said:

I've never been one for handhelds in recent times. Maybe some laptop gaming with MAME - when it was a novelty in the dotcom epoch. But that didn't last long. I figure if I'm out and about away from my gaming & reading den, I'm gonna enjoy the sights and whatever it is I'm there for. Not burying my head in a device. Not even e-reading or mobile-news, aside from checking the weather.

If you're in a doctor's office, hospital, DMV, or waiting for a tire alignment, however, you might not enjoy the sights so much.   At these points in time, the handhelds rock!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Basically yeah, you get it.  In the 80s-00s you had this strong long period where each had a pretty equal distinct purpose.  Consoles until really NES felt a bit crusty basic, the PCs of the era really did it better for home, and then you got the really clean arcade stuff, and well your overly basic largely no cartridge handhelds.  90s you got a bit of a convergence that really took off once some PS1/Saturn games (even SNES) matched largely the arcade and late 90s with the DC you had matches.  Handheld held on in its happy island because mobile (java, jme, etc) were laughable until iphone took off in the 00s, and PCs still topped or bettered at least the consoles but it got murky closer and into the 00s.  At first when the PC could match, largely ports didn't happen, like it was taboo for some ridiculous reason, but when they did they topped the console still or at least matched it.  By the 2010s though handhelds had to be more distinct or fail against ios/android.  Consoles without exclusives had no real merit other than the as you said introduction level gaming pc.  The PC because largely GOG/Steam started getting a majority of the console titles, and due to the MS overlap it even got xbox360(and since) button overlays for their controllers for windows over USB too.  MS doesn't give a flip, they control windows so they don't even play the exclusivity racket really as they can capture console and pc players.  Sony is a screwy dying hold out slowly dragged into it with a few games so far, and then you have outlier Nintendo with its massive warchest and smart move to go dedicated mobile but with TV hybrid potential that works.  As you bolded, same here, ever since the 90s gaming kind of floundered I got more into handhelds than console, and that stand true now more than ever with Switch on a legit level. :)

I don't want to generalize too much; there is some degree of overlap between modern consoles and PC as enthusiast-level hardware, of course. M2 ShotTriggers is probably the single best example. If you're not an enthusiast, you don't buy M2 ShotTriggers. Even if the genre doesn't scare someone away, the prices probably will, as will the general unavailability of that series outside of Japan.

There are a few other examples, as well; the fighting game community is basically nonexistent on anything but PlayStation, and you have Microsoft Flight Simulator on Xbox in addition to PC. There are others, but I see modern consoles as things that are basically just there for things that are not on PC. PC gets everything else except for maybe some stuff on Switch if you like handhelds or Nintendo games.

• Like 1

I don't want to generalize too much; there is some degree of overlap between modern consoles and PC as enthusiast-level hardware, of course. M2 ShotTriggers is probably the single best example. If you're not an enthusiast, you don't buy M2 ShotTriggers. Even if the genre doesn't scare someone away, the prices probably will, as will the general unavailability of that series outside of Japan.

There are a few other examples, as well; the fighting game community is basically nonexistent on anything but PlayStation, and you have Microsoft Flight Simulator on Xbox in addition to PC. There are others, but I see modern consoles as things that are basically just there for things that are not on PC. PC gets everything else except for maybe some stuff on Switch if you like handhelds or Nintendo games.

The Switch is quickly becoming one of the most prolific ways to play RPGs of all varieties on the go. I think the SteamDeck will bring some serious competition to its mobile console dominance. Although with now over 100 million sold it appears many companies are bringing older franchises out of their back catalogs to the switch. For example Live a Live is a previously unreleased Square rpg that Octopath Traveler is based on that is getting the 2D-HD treatment. It is making its debut on the switch after sitting dormant since 1994.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

True. Switch hit a level now where more so it’s happening. Look at that direct with other square games, both expensive Klonoa ps1 games remastered, assassins creed pack and the list goes on. Switch had hit a level of unignorable levels of sales so more will pop up within hardware limits or smooth play 30fps or better on such things. 

• Like 2