IGNORED

PCB Ordering for TI-99 Prototyping

Shift838

I am planning on putting in a order for some PCB prototyping boards, specifically the sideport breakout board and 44 pin edge card.  See pics.  If you want to get some please PM me for details.  I'm in need of a couple each, but there is a minimum order.  not going to be purple, just standard green for quickest turnaround.

2021-12-07_15-54-44.thumb.png.7c39124685ac0e0a03e361710f156964.png2021-12-07_15-50-44.thumb.png.3979b5f60c085dcb2b36e3406e022cb4.png

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Shift838 said:

I am planning on putting in a order for some PCB prototyping boards, specifically the sideport breakout board and 44 pin edge card.  See pics.  If you want to get some please PM me for details.  I'm in need of a couple each, but there is a minimum order.  not going to be purple, just standard green for quickest turnaround.

"I don't know if I need it!"

If you want more people to get in on it... Explain how you can use it so that we that do not know that we need it, KNOW and WHY we need it. I guess that people that are fully informed will know. But I am 100% sure that there are other that also need it, but do not know.

Why do I need it?
How can I use it?

I think it is important to explain it to as many as possible. I look at the TI as it is now "living" again and is modernised and is supported by modern technology.

I have 3 "real iron" and I am looking for a new motherboard that I can repopulate it with my old stuff. Something like TI(ny)-99/4A to Fabrice Montupet. Maybe I need it (your PCB) for my future "old modern TI"?

Maybe there should be a tread with all the possibilities to upgrade the "real iron" with stuff like this. Like a presentation for all the new stuff for the TI. But just presentation of stuff. So that "noobs" have a possibility to know if we need it or not.

• Like 1

Well, this is really just a cartridge port breakout.

I would like 2 of the 44 pin straight edges.   I intend to basically construct a pass-thru cable, that only breaks out the GND, +5v, and AUD-IN leads, and routes them to an external IDC jumper (to attach to the appropriate GPIO line on the Pi4 header for i2C audio synthesis being routed to the TI audio system) and a suitable buck regulator to provide a suitably strong 5v rail to run the tipi without added cabling.

Others might use these for making a splitter box for running a PEB-box along with a sidecar tipi.

Still more might use it for any number of prototype activities, like DIY SAMs manufacture.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oddemann said:

"I don't know if I need it!"

If you want more people to get in on it... Explain how you can use it so that we that do not know that we need it, KNOW and WHY we need it. I guess that people that are fully informed will know. But I am 100% sure that there are other that also need it, but do not know.

Why do I need it?
How can I use it?

I think it is important to explain it to as many as possible. I look at the TI as it is now "living" again and is modernised and is supported by modern technology.

I have 3 "real iron" and I am looking for a new motherboard that I can repopulate it with my old stuff. Something like TI(ny)-99/4A to Fabrice Montupet. Maybe I need it (your PCB) for my future "old modern TI"?

Maybe there should be a tread with all the possibilities to upgrade the "real iron" with stuff like this. Like a presentation for all the new stuff for the TI. But just presentation of stuff. So that "noobs" have a possibility to know if we need it or not.

No this is not a cartrdige port breakout.  it's 44 pins..

Why you need it is up to you.  As far as what you can use it for, attaching it to a breadboard then a cable to the sideport of the 99/4a to help easily develop and easier troubleshooting of connections for hardware that connects to the sideport.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

@Shift838 this is interesting, I am just wondering how much shipping to Europe would be. I definitely have use for something like this, but may end up designing my own. I would like to include 5v to 3.3v level converters as well. Perhaps have one passive board to just convert the TI's side port into a normal ribbon cable, and then another board with prototyping headers and 5V to 3.3V level converters.

Please put me in for 1 "cart PCB"  Port ,

(flux capacitor reader/ injector and teleport) tester board assembly thingy), and I'll need instructions on how that teleport thingy works but in the meantime I'll just be happy at trying to write at a certain address and getting an LED to light...

On 12/9/2021 at 9:35 AM, GDMike said:

Please put me in for 1 "cart PCB"  Port ,

(flux capacitor reader/ injector and teleport) tester board assembly thingy), and I'll need instructions on how that teleport thingy works but in the meantime I'll just be happy at trying to write at a certain address and getting an LED to light...

it's not a cartridge port breakout.  it's a 44 pin for the side port.

6 hours ago, Shift838 said:

it's not a cartridge port breakout.  it's a 44 pin for the side port.

I figured that out after reviewing. It was a very long night that time.. but yes. Gotcha, as Post#8 suggests..

. Do you have the cartridge port PCB? Sorry for confusing. Thx for reminding me

Edited by GDMike

On 12/17/2021 at 8:29 AM, GDMike said:

I figured that out after reviewing. It was a very long night that time.. but yes. Gotcha, as Post#8 suggests..

. Do you have the cartridge port PCB? Sorry for confusing. Thx for reminding me

no i don't.  I can design one and put an order in on my next PCB order.

• Thanks 1

I think I'd get more use from that cart Port for the short term, but I also want a complete side port+SAMs in a prebuilt board someday, oh... but I only have a PEB TIpi board..so id have to solve that issue too. I'll have to wait on this project though, but I'd love to get A cart board made because I'd like to, someday tinker around and make an auto bank 8K - 64K SRAM access for my E/A SNE program.

Edited by GDMike

7 hours ago, GDMike said:

I think I'd get more use from that cart Port for the short term, but I also want a complete side port+SAMs in a prebuilt board someday, oh... but I only have a PEB TIpi board..so id have to solve that issue too. I'll have to wait on this project though, but I'd love to get A cart board made because I'd like to, someday tinker around and make an auto bank 8K - 64K SRAM access for my E/A SNE program.

i put a quick cart breakout together.  i'll be ordering some on my next round of orders.  So if anyone wants any, let me know via PM.

cartbreakout-top.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GDMike said:

There was a fella what made some cart port break-outs and posted in the Marketplace some time back.  I do not know if he sold out or not.  I got one from him, some assembly required, and it is nice: four two-row headers for ribbon cables or whatever compatible connection you might prefer.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

There was a fella what made some cart port break-outs and posted in the Marketplace some time back.

3 hours ago, Shift838 said:

i put a quick cart breakout together.  i'll be ordering some on my next round of orders.  So if anyone wants any, let me know via PM.

This guy can hook us up, too :)

• Like 2

On 12/24/2021 at 3:32 PM, GDMike said:

i have ordered 10 of the cart breakout boards.  contact me via PM for pricing.

• Thanks 1