IGNORED

silly idea for an example or demo...

I was pondering multi use math and how some equations do more than one thing to describe waves etc... this by extension can create sound and pictures being circles, screw/spiral, cosign and sign waves....

how neat would it be to find the fastest ways to calculate them or he fastest language to calculate and manipulate them and have that do multi duty providing visualizers and sounds from them or other interesting outputs...

could an industrious soul start with, let's say....

eix

as the basis to start the fun...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I went looking for online video to give clarity to what I am saying..

skip to the time frame I listed in the link...

you may see what I am getting at...

surprisingly found a decent representation...

even gets to the spiral/sign/cosign and shows it.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Hi!

3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I was pondering multi use math and how some equations do more than one thing to describe waves etc... this by extension can create sound and pictures being circles, screw/spiral, cosign and sign waves....

how neat would it be to find the fastest ways to calculate them or he fastest language to calculate and manipulate them and have that do multi duty providing visualizers and sounds from them or other interesting outputs...

eix

You have to remember that the 6502 inside the Atari 8-bit computers is very slow at general math, so calculating complex functions will be slow - this is the reason most demos and games use pre-calculated tables or other means to accelerate the effects.

Today, probably the fastest language to calculate and visualize complex formulas is a GPU shader language, current GPU are very fast at math operations - a small phone GPU is about 10 million times faster than a 6502 on floating-point operations. See https://www.shadertoy.com/view/ltjczK for an example of real-time visualization of complex functions, in my phone it shows really pretty pictures.

Have Fun!

From the practical point of view of our beloved A8, considering lack of FPU and slow CPU the precalculated table for the function is a must to have. This is the approach I took in my 256 bytes Sprout intro https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=88291 (sources and XEX are on this page in Download)

Edited by ilmenit
  • Like 3

eix

evaluate that at x=180 degrees (pi) and you get the most beautiful equation of the universe (according to many mathematicians) ...

Edited by manterola