IGNORED

Introduction and archiving

burkhart87

Thank you very much Burkhart, highly appreciated! :-))))

Did made a quick check: on your ACTION! Toolkit ATR: one file is missing: SORT.DM2

REAL.ACT and SORT.ACT and MUSIC.DEM have different values regarding the file size on the disk.

Please compare with our ATR:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Action#section-Action-ATRImages

But!!!!!!!!!!

I propose you to be Atari man of 2022, with your post, the 39 year missing disk from Synapse is coming home to the community...

Burkhart you saved my year and this already in January!!!

In the name of the worldwide Atari Community, Burkhart THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

That is so incredible..., can't tell you.

Now(!) I can pay my taxes... ;-)

Burkhart, if you may find time to look here:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Rarity%2010

and find just one(!) item out of this, please, please Burkhart, let us know.

So glad and happy, can't tell you.

The force is with you and it is strong! :-)))

God bless you, we desperately need you!

SynTax.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Allan said:

When there is just a date in the second column, does that mean it is an original disk?

No, the opposite.  Originals are labeled as such, so, just a date means it was cracked long ago and "non-original".  I added dates if they were to be found when booting the software itself or were available on Atarimania.

23 hours ago, luckybuck said:

Did made a quick check: on your ACTION! Toolkit ATR: one file is missing: SORT.DM2

REAL.ACT and SORT.ACT and MUSIC.DEM have different values regarding the file size on the disk.

Please compare with our ATR:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Action#section-Action-ATRImages

Burkhart, if you may find time to look here:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Rarity 10

and find just one(!) item out of this, please, please Burkhart, let us know.

OK, I'll take a look.  Thanks for the links!

On 1/14/2022 at 6:35 PM, burkhart87 said:

I've zipped everything I've done so far and the images are available at the following link.  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q8No4HYafOIlIRFGUtLcrqs8Voj7WOz-/view?usp=sharing

Can you please reZIP it using standard ZIP or 7zip. ZIPX format is supported by hardly anything.

When I try to extract the files 7zip fails for these:

grafik.png.b225b3c59406af0d4fd365c47244a670.png

14 hours ago, DjayBee said:

Can you please reZIP it using standard ZIP or 7zip. ZIPX format is supported by hardly anything.

When I try to extract the files 7zip fails for these:

grafik.png.b225b3c59406af0d4fd365c47244a670.png

Unziped with Winzip which supports Zipx and redone with winrar.

Burkhart87s disks.rar

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Except for Syn-Tax which can be found further up inside this thread and seems originally unprotected, I found these images as missing up to now, restored and cracked them:

Computer Crayons (1983)(Playground Software)(US)[cr CSS].atr MagniPrint II v2.2 (1984)(Alpha Systems)(US)[cr CSS].atr

Polar Pierre (1984)(Datamost)(US)(Side A)[cr CSS].atr Polar Pierre (1984)(Datamost)(US)(Side B).atr

Docs in case somebody is interested: crackdocs.zip

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

MagniPrint I could not get to work via ATR or PRO images using Altirra, so I didn't include it in the spreadsheet.  Looks like I forgot to remove the Magniprint image from the images folder though!  Thanks for cracking the Magniprint.  There are a few other disks with the same problem(s), but all will boot on original hardware. I tried to remove these problematic images from the collection and set the disks aside for later; they are most likely also not found in the spreadsheet.

The crayons and polar pierre PRO images worked with Altirra whereas the ATR images did not; so, I tried to note that in the spreadsheet and moved on.  I'm still not halfway through this collection.

Should I set aside these problematic (i.e. will not boot in Altirra) ATRs and send them to you? I don't want to pile work on anyone, particularly for images that are mostly already available.

Edited by burkhart87

9 hours ago, burkhart87 said:

MagniPrint I could not get to work via ATR or PRO images using Altirra, so I didn't include it in the spreadsheet.  Looks like I forgot to remove the Magniprint image from the images folder though!  Thanks for cracking the Magniprint.  There are a few other disks with the same problem(s), but all will boot on original hardware. I tried to remove these problematic images from the collection and set the disks aside for later; they are most likely also not found in the spreadsheet.

The crayons and polar pierre PRO images worked with Altirra whereas the ATR images did not; so, I tried to note that in the spreadsheet and moved on.  I'm still not halfway through this collection.

Should I set aside these problematic (i.e. will not boot in Altirra) ATRs and send them to you? I don't want to pile work on anyone, particularly for images that are mostly already available.

I know I'm going to sound like a broken record but please don't dismiss anything, particularly cracked stuff. Sometimes, it's just down to a different version number for a utility or a meaningless single BASIC file on a compilation disk being a lost commercial game. Pirated software can also be useful to reconstruct a broken original.

Thanks!

Edited by www.atarimania.com
  • Like 4

MagniPrint I could not get to work via ATR or PRO images using Altirra, so I didn't include it in the spreadsheet.

All sectors but the first of each track are marked "deleted" and are therefore bad from the view of the Atari. The sector data itself is fine.

This is really weird.

The crayons and polar pierre PRO images worked with Altirra whereas the ATR images did not

Both are copy protected as well but this time the PRO has been created correct.

I would just add them to the other dumps, mark them as "non-working, probably due to copy protection" and let people decide what they want to do.

I don't believe that anybody gets the impression to be piled by unwanted work from you.

I myself have fun in doing this type of stuff. It is similar to playing jigsaw puzzles. :)

particularly for images that are mostly already available

As you have seen above, you have some which are not at all available. Computer Crayons made Atarimania quite happy, Syn-Tax was believed to be vaporware and MagniPrint was only available in later versions. Only the Datamost release of Polar Pierre was available before but not as a protected original.

7 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

they could be flux dumped, and then fully cracked, if they are real protected originals possibly, and could be used for comparison and preservation

Most of the time "fully cracking" is possible without a flux dump. To be honest quite often not even a PRO is needed because we already have some other title with the same protection. See MagniPrint above which did not contain useful data for the weak sector protection in the PRO but worked immediately with the preotected track of v2.8.

In contrast, for real preservation we actually need flux dumps. All "Frankendisks" I made are only a starting point for cracks and can also be used for comparison or repair of flux dumps. That's why I don't publish them if I can create a crack.

Edited by DjayBee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, burkhart87 said:

Here are some images for Page Designer that give alot of "deleted data mark" errors in the ATR and PRO logs.  Images will hang in Altirra but disk boots on OG hardware.

As this is not the first PRO with lots of "deleted" sectors, something in your setup seems wrong.

Extracting all sectors' data worked fine and resulted in a nearly complete ATR. Just like before.

According to your LOG, PROsystem had a problem reading track 1 which is also reflected in the data extracted from the PRO file.

It differs by exactly track 1 from the ATR you uploaded.

Besides the complete failure of PROsystem on track 1, your disk also has some real read errors on this track.

After replacing the missing sectors with good ones taken from a8preservation's v1.2 dump, your dump works. (Fortunately the beginning of the disk is identical between these two versions.)

Your disk does not show a version number which makes it probably v1.0 and it also ignores missing protection which makes me believe that it is a cracked version.

PageDesigner[f].atr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure what PRO settings are the best.  I don't know enough about it and I haven't used it enough.

I'm switching drives every 15 disks or so to clean the heads (2 1050s; one is a mini-speedy, the other stock, and a TRAK ATD2).  No single drive consistently gives me these errors. For example, I've probably imaged around 60 disks since my most recent posts above and this is the only one that gave me problems as an ATR.  

14 minutes ago, dzzy1982 said:

This is great! I particularly love all the underground 80s BBS cracked stuff, even though it seems to be looked down on here somewhat. Is there more dumps of these type of 80s multigame ATRs? Keep at it, this is good stuff!

There are loads of dumps of those multi games disks, I would not say it's really looked down upon these days, back then when people were buying games I'd say there was definitely a feeling of dislike towards people who had multiboots of loads of games, but now they are part of the magic of the reminder of the times. I think it's safe to say much of 8 bit AA had a few (or more) in their collection.

4 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

There are loads of dumps of those multi games disks, I would not say it's really looked down upon these days, back then when people were buying games I'd say there was definitely a feeling of dislike towards people who had multiboots of loads of games, but now they are part of the magic of the reminder of the times. I think it's safe to say much of 8 bit AA had a few (or more) in their collection.

Where to look? All the dumps are usually of legit single game ATRs. I missed out on all this by about 10 years, this 1050 I'm tinkering with pre-date me by about 5-6 months! Seems the piracy argument has always been the same. But the reality is, most of the 12 year old kids that were doing this back in the day had no money and would've likely never bought anything in the first place.