IGNORED

Petscii Robots Now in Color

Fierodoug5

David Murray posted a newer version of Attack of the Petscii Robots for the Atari 8-bit which uses Atari color text mode. It looks great

If you have already bought the game, just go to your download page on the 8-bit website and grab the new download

https://www.the8bitguy.com/

Now if we just had a readily available or open source SNES controller adaptor for the atari 8-bit. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Pat Brady said:

I just bought and downloaded it. The zip file (with suffix -12-11-2021) contains an original and an enhanced version (with timestamp 2021.12.6), but both are monochrome.

Locate and open the file: ENHANCED ROBOTS.ATR

In the menu, move the cursor over "TO COLOR TILES". Press Return key.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Fierodoug5  thanks for posting the video. Just watched a minute or so of it. I like the colour scheme - the main player character purple colour actually works pretty well. I'd be interested in buying the digital version of the game I think, (especially if you get both the hi res black and white and colour enhanced versions). I quite like the isometric design. However I think I'll wait to read some reviews of gameplay to see what others think. I am fairly new to this title and genre, although I can see it's been made for various other platforms and clearly has a fanbase.;-)

I bought the game, but I don't seem to have an account on his site. Apparently I didn't click the little box next to "create account" on the purchase order form. Neither emails or a user name I guessed at work.

20211212_200902.thumb.jpg.e539c0bf84867f16536439f84a71c55b.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

57 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

I bought the game, but I don't seem to have an account on his site. Apparently I didn't click the little box next to "create account" on the purchase order form. Neither emails or a user name I guessed at work.

20211212_200902.thumb.jpg.e539c0bf84867f16536439f84a71c55b.jpg

I made the same mistake. If you still have your download email, that link will still work to download the version. 

I found that out when I contacted David (the 8-bit guy) directly. 

Bob C

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, darwinmac said:

I made the same mistake. If you still have your download email, that link will still work to download the version. 

I found that out when I contacted David (the 8-bit guy) directly. 

Bob C

Thanks, I found the email and just down loaded 12-11-21 zip...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fierodoug5 said:

It is a really fun game, I've been playing the C64 version since it first came out. I was waiting and hoping the atari version would get some color, so gonna buy this version now.

@Fierodoug5 Cool, you have just convinced me so just bought it. (Tbh £8 for the digital versions ain't bad). Will have a play on both the original and colour versions over the next day or so. :grin:

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

I also downloaded the package again and it indeed contained the ENHANCED image.

I wonder how it comes that we have out of sudden a color version now. I must agree that even if the resolution is lower and the original "PETSCII" mood is not as intense I acutally do prefer the color version instead of b/w. But its always good to have a choice.

@Irgendwer are you involved into this "color upgrade" anyhow?

59 minutes ago, twh/f2 said:

@Irgendwer are you involved into this "color upgrade" anyhow?

It's Blair Wilson (who reverse engineered also the PET version in the first place) who is responsible for the color version you have to praise.

He received my Atari sources and I only gave some hints to get familiar with the source code and tips how to create a somewhat usable choice of color characters without a complete rewrite of the display engine.

(Since tiles are 3x3 main idea is to use 3 fonts, having the chars only needed for a single line of all tiles.)

• Like 1

Had a very quick play of both, and actually I like both versions. Not had time to get into it fully, but there are two slight frustrations that jump out straight away, (that I am guessing is the same on all platforms):

(Not sure if they have been mentioned before - sorry - not had time to read all the threads related to this game).

First is a small observation -  that when you opt to map and select the custom control key bindings, rather than get the letter mapped next to each control, you get a 3 digit number, (thus you have to remember which key you just mapped). So for example if I select W for "move up", I get 046 mapped. Essentially I wanted to map the keys then take a note/quick photo of the screen on my camera phone of the keys I mapped - as there are 13x to remember. Unfortunately the number label therefore doesn't really allow for this. I wonder why this was chosen over the actual key letters? (Perhaps a knock on from it being a port with different system's keyboards?)

I can write them down of course. Just wonder why this is the case?

The second is that there is a 1 second delay when you hold down the move up, down, left or right controls when you want to continually move in any given direction, rather than just move one step as it were. If you are trying to move quickly or get away from a Robot or change direction quickly it doesn't help matters and it's actually unneccassarily frustrating (IMHO).

Why not instantly move in the direction so you can move around quicker, like in Boulderdash for example, where you are also moving one tile at a time? (Since you aren't move diagonally in Attack of the Petscii Robots presumably this can't be related to the keyboard only registering a single keypress at a time as that doesn't apply with a simple 4 x direction control - or perhaps it is the reason if switching quickly between one key and another, (up then left for example), needs a delay to register?.)

Anyway, enough nitpicking ;) - I'll have a good play with both versions later and I am sure the game itself will be great.:thumbsup:

I really love the door open/close animation and the isometric psuedo 3D view.:grin: