IGNORED

HDX or TIPI - thoughts / suggestions wanted

aftyde

Hey Guys,

After a long lockdown in Singapore I'm finally re-united with my TI sys here in the US.  Pretty standard console w F18A, PEB w 32K, RS232 (w HDX mod), TI disk controller w 80 track mod and a SID card.  On my other system (overseas) - I use both HDX and TIPI - and storage for important stuff is mapped across a network using NFS (on the TIPI) and I have a small VM that runs the HDX server - pointing to the same storage.  This is a daily driver... so it gets used for work related stuff every day.

I'm running a TI-BASE locally on Lotharek drives.  At the beginning of my session, it copies the DB from remote storage to floppy (since TI-BASE doesn't run predictably on any mapped remote storage (and I've tried everything, SCSI cards, IDE, HDX, TIPI, you name it)) and at the end of the session backs it up to the NAS (which itself is encrypted, backed up to the cloud and so on)

I think I should "pick a method."  I like HDX because it's just super reliable.  The TIPI (at least 18 months to 2 years ago) was cool - but seemed to require a lot of tweaking to use reliably as backup or remote storage.  Maybe I just need an updated DSR?  

Thoughts?

Thank you, Arthur...

• Like 3

There is a pretty long TIPI support thread, but the types of things we've changed in the DSR are pretty minimal... 

- There was a subtle change to fixed record file updating in Feb 2021

- And a couple small fixes to direct file IO in May 2020. 

The TIPI was never intended to be 'backup' or 'remote' storage... it is intended to be primary storage. I don't know what kind of issues TI-BASE would have using it as such. 

I'm curious what kind of 'tweaking' was involved, or foreseen in using it for backups? 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I keep a pretty large parts database - basically, I've inventoried everything I have.  Got tired of looking for things, and not finding them, and buying another - and finding the first.  We've all been there.  So back in the day I used TI-Base to start a database build - and still use it to this day.  Right now, it's tracking roughly 4000 items per DB - and these are on 2880 sector disk images (lotharek, on a MyArc 80 track DS/DD disk controller).  This is the biggest and most reliable storage I can find - and I've literally tried everything.  Something about the way TI-Base is written makes it wonky on all other media - hard disk, IDE, SCSI, HDX, TIPI - yeah...

Most of my posts involve trying to expand storage in the hopes I can pull it all together.  :)

Cheers, Arthur...

• Like 1