IGNORED

Is it me or......

Mclaneinc

Does an emulated machine left on after booting to basic if left on untouched for ages go in to self test mode?

From memory, I didn't think they did, I certainly don't seem to remember them doing it when we had them on display.

I was just sat here, and I tried a program and reset the machine from a cold start and went to do other stuff and wasn't using the PC and suddenly I start hearing music, my monitor was off from sleep mode and I woke it up to see it doing the music test. I'd say it was left untouched for 30 - 45 mins

If they do go in to self test after a long time then just call the hospital and tell them there's another senile person on the way in :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

It should only start rotating screen colours in attract mode after 9 minutes of no keypresses - that's all...

If it jumped into self test mode, that would imply "something" happenned .... power glitch causing reset into self test mode or something....

• Like 1

Yep, knew of the attract mode and the poke to over-ride it.

As thought, it's not normal... Didn't touch it, no pad connected...No idea why, as you say it would have had to reset and have basic disabled to do this..Weird, an Xmas ghostie :).

The last thing I did was alter a program called Strokeit, a mouse gesture program, odd enough I was altering the change in the reset keys from Ctrl + Shift + F5 to Shift + F5 after Avery changed the mapping a while back. 

Just one of those random odd things I guess.. Was more concerned that I might have been misremembering an auto starting demo mode, with all the stress I worry about my memory sometimes and of course stress is the biggest culprit for causing random mem loss that isn't permanent.

Cheers Nezgar..

As I'm on 7 I got the choice of picking updates so chose to only do that after notifying me and giving me the choice. Very few updates these days and deffo none at that time. Would not put it past M$ to try and force Win 10 on the machine, wanted or not :)

Nope, my little blip remains an unknown, my initial thought was that my Wireless 360 pad was on and somehow the start button had been pressed but no, pad very much off and sat on its back all alone. I'm sticking to my super scientific thought, Xmas ghost :)

Ah, so it does an automated self test as long as it's booted to it..

I can't rule that out, but as I'd just been testing a BASIC program related to a post today, I was sure I'd just left it as basic enabled..

I suspect this is the actual answer here... Also reaffirms that my memory can be extremely rubbish :)

Thanks KrOtki

13 hours ago, Brentarian said:

Do you have a cat or dog?  I found my dog pounding away at my keyboard once.  ? 

A big old cat but he's never had an interest in the computer, the nearest he gets to it is on my lap as I'm using it...Felix is old school feline, only plays with old stuff :)

12 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

As for Klingon's and mysterious errors, all is possible these days :)

Windows is just a huge software conflict waiting to happen, made me laugh when I found out where the term "Bugs" in a computer sense comes from..

I was just going for the Trekkie Redshirt internet meme (no offense!).

6 hours ago, BillC said:

Did you move a laser pointer around the keyboard to make that video?

@BillC Didn't need to - Mrs Nibbles has been working from home quite a lot of late and is adept at touch typing....AND even managed to install Windows 11 by herself!! Just the occasional snifter of catnip and she's very productive :lol::grin:

• Haha 1

I think it's an amazing coincidence how so my of these cat's owners use Tik Tok :)

One of my since rehomed cat's called tabby did have a love of sitting up on my lap and hitting the odd key or trying to get the pointer on the screen. This was a fun thing, but a nightmare as my computer desk is the most disorganised thing EVER. There would be a mouse getting knocked off, pen drives everywhere, USB drives clanging on to the floor... She loved it... I wasn't as amused. Her fave thing on the desk was to use my C64 and 800XL as a spring board to get to the top of my 3 x 14" monitor tower, she would sit like a queen surveying her masses on the Philips monitor at the top..

The philips is just out of picture..

fjimg_13.jpg

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 3

Now I know that you are Mr Altirra User #1 and so I am not going to insult your intelligence, but there may be a simple way that this happened accidentally.

Could it be that two sessions were opened, one of them accidentally? Then first one crashes out?

Either that, or a cat / dog / lizard / unicorn walked over your keyboard while you were away.

Talking of that, I used to have a keyboard with a "PC off" button on it. The amount of times the cat walked on it and switched it off really annoyed me.

Ha ha, Mr Altirra user #1, lol.... Supporter, yes, user, to be debated, many folk use it way more than me :)

As for the theory, this I can shoot down instantly, in tools / option, I always have reuse instance ticked, I know this as it's me who asked for that option to be added, so it could be friendly to use in a frontend / gamebase.

As for animal intent, no, my cat too lazy to go up, hell, I have to pick him up to go on my lap, the lazy chonker won't jump up (he is getting on). As said, you have been OZified now, we don't have little lizards in the UK, plenty of other kinds of snakes tho :)

Unicorns??  Silly boy, Only Santa is real.....