IGNORED

Get RID of that 800 Mitsumi Mylar once and for all!

Stormbringer

I've had it with trying to get the Mitsumi mylars to work in my 800's. I know some people are trying to produce a replacement but this to me seem like a better long term solution.

Using a PCB and kailh low profile switches. it feels good to me at least. I'm no keyboard snob, however. Seems damn satisfying with the tactile feedback.

Might need to find a spacer that will fit between the pcb and the upper shell/keyboard but from my testing works without em.. Just haven't found anything off the shelf(I admit I haven't looked either). I'd hate to have to print something. that means days fiddling around with the 3d printer.

I like this solution because it uses the keyboard frame so you don't have to monkey around with printing adapters or deal with wobbly keys. About $80 bucks in parts too.

Bought a sample pack of switches on amazon for testing.

Ordered the rest of the switches from: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32838369089.html

The PCB I had made from JLCPCB. PCBWay must have stock in shipping companies....

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

To credit Multifarious Industries, who's original design this is based off of, his PCB lined up with MOST of my keys and the mounting holes. I needed to rotate the keys to follow the angled plungers and alter the placement of a couple keys. Also needed to change the footprint from cherry to the kailh profile..

Short story long, I'm sure the mounting holes will line up. I've never seen the bottom keyboard portion of the Hi-Tek so I do not know if there is a "plunger" to smack down on the key switches. I will say that the feel of the Mitsumi is pretty damn sweet. To the point that I will be converting all of mine, working or not.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Sorry about the late reply. Thought I provided the gerber files but I guess not. :(

they are attached here now.

The attachment contains the gerber files needed to print the board and the kicad files as well.

You can have these made for fairly cheap.

Again, I used JLCPCB in the States (Illinois) and it was around 30-35 bucks shipped for 5 of em.

Plus the cost and wait on the keys. which you can source easily on aliexpress. I provided one link earlier.

So, no need to wait for me to provide kits. go for it!

I will say that I should have rotated the keys by like 1%. Adjacent keys slightly "bump" into one another on the corners.

I just nipped both sides with cutters to make soldering easy. the plastic around the corners on the keys aren't support but there just to square them off.

The boards worked well for me so I ordered more keys to replace my working 800 Mitsumi. I know the mylar will eventually fail.

Atari800MitsumiKeyboardStormbringer.zip

Edited by Stormbringer
  • Thanks 2

hi,

does anyone have 2 of these boards extra? I only need two of them. or should I order a batch and make the extras available? thanks.

well, both keyboards are those mechanical hitech things but both have a bunch of sticking keys due to breakage/mechanical failure. so I probably won't be able to use these. sigh.

Ken

Edited by kenames99
more info

• 2 weeks later...

Funny story-- as my son and I were getting things ready for the arcade expo, I spent a couple hours building one of those and figured I'd start pulling all my AIR machines out until I found a Mitsumi.  6 machines later, I never did find one without the Hi-Tek, but I'm sure there are more, I just had to get things ready for the expo. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2022 at 10:28 AM, R.Cade said:

If anyone has any spare boards or keys, let me know before I go and order more...

I've got 3 spares, when I ordered from JLCPCB  I got 5 of em... maybe minimum order? I don't recall. Anyhow, they were really cheap - prolly cheaper that me shipping you one using ups / fedex.

45 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

I've got 3 spares, when I ordered from JLCPCB  I got 5 of em... maybe minimum order? I don't recall. Anyhow, they were really cheap - prolly cheaper that me shipping you one using ups / fedex.

That = true. I ordered some a day or so after asking, so I will have 5 also, with 4 spares. :)

• 2 weeks later...