IGNORED

Season 12 ~ Weeks 7/8/9 ~ Holiday Break Red Label Games

Vocelli

A big improvement in Klax, and a personal best for me on a game I have played quite a lot . . . . .still some way short of Oyama Family's mega score though !.

My tactics are a little different, and although I haven't been able to beat the Oyama score, I think that with a better player than me, this strategy might have a higher "top end" score. So what I did was :

Levels 1 - 2 : Create the complex Klax describde by Oyama Family

Level 3 : Try and create a complex Klax before knocking out the three diagonals (if this is considered not in the spirit of things, please disregard this score. My previous one did not use this technique). This enables you to pick up an extra 10-20k (depending on the Klax) and you then just get the diagonals ASAP before the level speeds up to an unmanageable speed

Levels 4-5 : As levels 1-2

So far, broadly similar to Oyama Family, apart from a different approach to level 3. But this is where I do things differently. At the end of level 6, take the option to warp to level 16. My limited skill takes effect here, and I just complete level 16 with as little fuss as possible before failing to complete level 17. But I think a better player might be able to hit a complex Klax on 16, and then progress several levels past 17 (the diagonal level is always the hardest in the group imho). If this was done, a really big score is possible. You get 20k for warping from levels 6 to 16, and 50k for warping to level 51 by getting the big X . That means that for this tactic to work better,  you need to get an extra 30k by playing from level 16 relative to playing from level 51. I think for a good player , that is probably doable. 

As an aside, I think one of my favourite games landing on HSC has left me worryingly addicted. In fact, I think I might be turning into this Atari 2600: Dear Atari Anonymous - YouTube . Now I need to go and have a proper go on the other games !

Klax (08-18-1990) (Atari) (Prototype)_1.png

Edited by Jasonhrb
  • Like 5

After playing Klax all morning I'm pretty sure Oyamafamily's strategy is the best if you've got the skill for it... But I don't have the skill for it, so I just started on Wave 6 and kept attempting to pull off the "X" klax warp that nets you a 50,000 point bonus until I finally got it after a dozen or so tries, then just did my best to survive from there :lol:

Klax: (Game 1, B/B Difficulty): 87,895

IMG_20211221_112811.thumb.jpg.9f275dd47f72a2f0d7efd2ac33e67873.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Something for xenephobe. This isn't grabbing me like the other two in this group (or indeed like many of the others this season), but playing it this season certainly leaves me with a more positive impression than it did when I tried it previously. I'll probably have another go at this at some point in the next couple of weeks, but am leaving this here just in case I don't get round to it

Xenophobe (1991) (Atari)_3.png

• Like 2

Oh heck yes! I don't usually take videos of my scores, but I felt like this occasion called for it. I just beat Fatal Run in one sitting, all the way from start to finish! :-D

Fatal Run (Game 1, B/B Difficulty): 247,050

And a score picture for good measure.

IMG_20211221_133218.thumb.jpg.1a52451189d9fb15f1eb709f78380523.jpg

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
Them darn typos
  • Like 7

Some tips for beating Fatal Run:

1. Drive like a road warrior and go balls to the wall on the accelerator! Hold forward on the joystick the entire time through every level and if you need to turn then press diagonally up and left or right. You want to get to 200 mph as quickly as you can and stay as close to 200 mph as possible, never letting off the gas unless...

2. If you see an enemy car coming up behind you on the radar in the lower left of the screen, wait until the little dash representing the enemy car turns white when it gets really close then quickly pull back on the joystick to ram them with your back bumper and destroy them; then go back to holding forward and accelerating as soon as the enemy car blows up.

3. Don't bother trying to pass enemies, it'll only slow you down and possibly damage your car. If you come up behind an enemy just keep driving as fast as possible, shooting them or holding down the button and ramming into the center of their back bumper to execute a power surge attack until they explode. Drive with maximum aggression!

4. Trying to collect the yellow diamonds on the side of the road is likely to slow you down and damage your car going for them, so I just ignored them and focused on driving fast to get the maximum amount of repair points by finishing the levels in the best time I could.

5. When repairing your vehicle between levels, try to distribute your repair points to get all your stats in the green. If you don't have enough points to bring everything up to green then at least make sure your fuel is in the green, since you won't be finishing the next level if you don't have enough fuel to go the distance.

That's all I've got, but I hope it's useful info! Basically, just drive like a homicidal maniac high on PCP and you should do pretty well :lol:

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Big improvement on fatal run. Gotta say, I really like this one. Interestingly (to me at least!), all three games from this round were written for both the 2600 and 7800 (albeit Klax was never actually released on the 7800 back in the day), and I actually prefer both Klax and fatal run on the 2600.

For Klax, I like the simple display that means it's easier to concentrate on the gameplay itself . Indeed, the 2600 version of Klax is actually my favourite version of the game for this. And I think for all the graphical limitations of he 2600, fatal run just "works" better on that than it does on the 7800. The controls feel better weighted , and the jaunty scenes in between stages on the 7800 just seem wrong for a game with an apocalyptic theme.  

I'd love to try and finish fatal run before the round is out, but looking at my score compared to Coyote's, I think I have a way to go on that front yet !

Fatal Run (Ultimate Driving) (1991) (Atari) (PAL)_1.png

Edited by Jasonhrb
  • Like 3