IGNORED

Atari Museum...

DavidMil

44 minutes ago, DavidMil said:

Does anyone know if the Atari Museum is a 501c organization?  I want to send some things to it, but I don't want to send it to a place that

someone could sell it for personal profit somewhere down the road.

DavidMil

@DavidMil  If you are referring to Fred_M's ( @Fred_M) amazing Netherland's all things Atari museum as referenced below in a thread based conversation I had with him -  then I am pretty sure he'd lovingly display anything in his museum. Fred_M is long on the Atari scene (ex-ANG software from the 90's), and clearly is a full on Atarian! :grin: Check out the video.

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Fred_M's ( @Fred_M) amazing Netherland's all things Atari museum

If that's the one he's referring to, then I'd have to say it isn't a 501c organization, as that's a U.S. Federal Internal Revenue designation and has nothing to do with organizations outside of the U.S.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

@DavidMil  If you are referring to Fred_M's ( @Fred_M) amazing Netherland's all things Atari museum as referenced below in a thread based conversation I had with him -  then I am pretty sure he'd lovingly display anything in his museum. Fred_M is long on the Atari scene (ex-ANG software from the 90's), and clearly is a full on Atarian! :grin: Check out the video.

Thank you for the nice compliments!

I am sure that this is about atarimuseum.com. I had some contact with Marty a few months ago. At that moment he stated that his (Marty/Curt) website would be available in a few weeks. Sadly it is not.

I did take a look at what a 501c organization means, I don't think that atarimuseum.com was a 501c organization. It was not mentioned on the website. You can check for yourself in the Wayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20210117125827/http://atarimuseum.com/ 

• Like 2

David,

I'm pretty sure you mean the very sadly now passed Curt Vendel's site, but because of his far too soon death the site is now in a bit of confusion, I seem to remember various claims of ownership and the like, Marty the main guy was talking of it being open as a site again but from comments from others it seems nothing has moved on that.

2 hours ago, Fred_M said:

Guys,

What Allan posted is correct. Marty is building a new website. The progress can be seen at https://theatarimuseum.com/

That is awesome!

There doesn't appear to be a lot there yet, other than the main page. I wish him the best of luck and I look forward to watching it develop. I can't imagine the work involved in putting it all together.

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

I do hope that the infighting that was going on has been sorted out..

I wasn't aware that there was any, but I agree. If anything like that is going on, everyone loses. We're all human though, and we all have our moments. Hopefully, everything, and everyone will come together in the end.

I thought I heard (in the Curt Vendel thread) of people coming forward to make claim on the site / goods (can't remember which, possibly both).. Poor man, dead far too young and people fighting over who owns what..

As you say, human nature, not always as good as it can be..

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DavidMil said:

This is exactly what I worry about.  If I send some of my one-of-a-kind Atari items to the museum is someone going to end up with them

if the infighting rips the museum apart!

David   

Well, the thing you need to remember, for the most part, The Atari Museum was just a web site. Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but in the end, everything there was basically just Curt's collection, correct, and he created the Atari Museum web site around it. It's not like it was really some brick and mortar museum where the items were owned by an organization and ran by a board of trustees or anything. So, even when Curt was still with us and running the "museum", basically anything that you donated to him, you would just have given to him and he would've documented it. I mean, Curt would've never done anything shady, but once he passed, what does his family do with all of that stuff? I'm not sure we know yet what has happened or will happen to everything.

Push comes to shove, I'm not aware of any real museum like you're thinking of, where everything isn't owned by the person running the museum.

Am I completely off base here guys?

• Like 1

even not for profit 501 c museums can end up having their contents auctioned off with proceeds going to the owners and bills.... You have to have a document indicating what and how your donated item must be handled even in the even the museum is closed, dissolved, bankrupted, or placed into estate status or otherwise if you wish to protect that which you offer to them

• Like 2

I seem to remember that 99% of stuff was just Curt's private collection and that it was just as Bob thought, built around the website as opposed to  a real place but I believe some items were on loan to Curt. I'd need to re-read the entire Curt thread to exact facts but I'm pretty sure I'm ok so far. I can understand people who loaned stuff being worried about what might happen to their gear but sadly sometimes people try to take advantage, hopefully that was not the case here.

• Like 1

Has anyone thought about starting an actual Atari museum/lending library? It'd certainly be easier to maintain if the collection was privately held across the world. All it would take would be a proper database. And how cool would it be to see it linked with something like Atarimania -- click on a piece of hardware, see if and where it's "in stock", and then arrange to have it loaned out!

I know that I have quite a bit of equipment that could be loaned out, and I can see it working something like this: each "librarian" agrees to loan out one piece of equipment every six months. They're responsible for sending the item, tracked, to the recipient. The loaner gets to decide who, and to whom, each item is sent. The recipient is responsible for sending it back, tracked, within six months of receiving the item. Everyone gets to choose one new item every six months (if they wish). The library would contain hardware and cartridges; magnetic media is probably too fragile at this point.

• Like 1

I love the idea but fear the shipping / damage problems... Many couriers / shippers already play fast and loose with our gear, I worry about shipping something like an 810 or 1050, add that a PSU may need to be included and it suddenly becomes an accident waiting to happen.

Not trying to be a downer as I do like the idea...

• Like 1

I agree with @Mclaneinc. I have no problem in sending some Atari items to someone I personally know and trust. But shipping items to people I don't know and all over the world.......

Scanning boxes/inlays/manuals/books, dumping disks/tapes/carts, making pictures and send that digitally to someone is no problem, but shipping the physical items...... no.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fred_M said:

I agree with @Mclaneinc. I have no problem in sending some Atari items to someone I personally know and trust. But shipping items to people I don't know and all over the world.......

Scanning boxes/inlays/manuals/books, dumping disks/tapes/carts, making pictures and send that digitally to someone is no problem, but shipping the physical items...... no.

Yeah, I agree with this. If we lived in a perfect world, and everyone was trustworthy, what an awesome thing this would be. The problem is that we don't live in a perfect world and many people aren't trustworthy, I daresay there are probably even untrustworthy people in this very forum, as much as it pains me to even think it, let alone say it.

This seems like more of an impractical dream and as wonderful a dream as it is, it's still just a dream.

I ship things to people all over the world during Secret Santa time...and not just on this forum! :)

I'm not concerned with getting anything in return but the hope that someone's going to get more use out of an item. I've given away many items in the past, and those things have just gone to one person. With something like this, more people can get to use it. I'll post a list of items I'm willing to ship this weekend or next week when the Christmas rush has settled down. I have a modded XL that can be loaned out, a boxed XC12, and tons of cartridges. I also have a boxed ST sitting around, two 7800 units that are, literally, collecting dust, and an A/V modded 5200 unit, lots of CV games, and lots of cables and controllers.

A few simple rules could greatly reduce trouble: 

-no loans to anyone who has less than a six-month presence and fewer than 100 (real) posts;

-An understanding that any item lent (and any item returned) may not be working when returned to the original owner;

-An understanding that items can get lost in the mail, and that borrowers are not responsible for any financial loss incurred by the lender;

-all items mailed must be accompanied by a tracking number (and, hopefully, postal insurance).

-any item can be taken out of circulation by the owner at any time.

If more than one person (ie. me) is interested in this, perhaps we could make it a sub-forum or a sticky.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I ship things to people all over the world during Secret Santa time...and not just on this forum! :)

I'm not concerned with getting anything in return but the hope that someone's going to get more use out of an item. I've given away many items in the past, and those things have just gone to one person. With something like this, more people can get to use it. I'll post a list of items I'm willing to ship this weekend or next week when the Christmas rush has settled down. I have a modded XL that can be loaned out, a boxed XC12, and tons of cartridges. I also have a boxed ST sitting around, two 7800 units that are, literally, collecting dust, and an A/V modded 5200 unit, lots of CV games, and lots of cables and controllers.

A few simple rules could greatly reduce trouble: 

-no loans to anyone who has less than a six-month presence and fewer than 100 (real) posts;

-An understanding that any item lent (and any item returned) may not be working when returned to the original owner;

-An understanding that items can get lost in the mail, and that borrowers are not responsible for any financial loss incurred by the lender;

-all items mailed must be accompanied by a tracking number (and, hopefully, postal insurance).

-any item can be taken out of circulation by the owner at any time.

If more than one person (ie. me) is interested in this, perhaps we could make it a sub-forum or a sticky.

You are a better person than I am.  I guess that I've been 'burned' by people I trusted too many times.  My hat is off to you

davidcalgary29!

DavidMil

• Like 1